Rancho RS9000X for Prado front suspension?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:06
ThreadID: 7879 Views:3932 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading the Prado's suspension soonish - and I'd like to fit some Rancho RS9000X shocks all round (with new springs giving about a 50mm lift all round) - but Auto Alliance and other after market suppliers (in Brisbane) tell me that they can't get them for the front of the Prado (because it is a strut and the RS9000X's aren't made as a strut - only a shock). They say the only solution available is RS5000's struts (not adjustable) front, with RS9000X's rear. However, I remember an article in Australian 4WD Monthly a couple of years back about Micheal Ellem's Prado - and it had RS9000's fitted to the front by Duncan Scott @ MacQuarie 4X4.

So - I'm wondering what modifications would have to be made to the front end of the Prado to be able to fit RS9000X shocks? And who can do this in Brisbane, preferably south side (and how much?).

This would save hassles in the bush - because instead of having to carry 2 spares (one RS5000 for the front and one RS9000X for the rear) I could probably get away with just carrying one RS9000X spare.

Any ideas much appreciated - cause I'm really scratching my head about it... Cheers,
Prado Boy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:37

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:37
Prado Boy

Can't help you with your particular issue but with regard to the topic in general I was always under the impression after market springs and shocks where the go.

Anyway, when we limped into Alice Springs earlier in the year with some significant underbody damage I was informed by the service manager that they have found genuine parts seem to outlast the add ons.

He wasn't in any way against these products ... just stating their experience with local vehicles and those of travellers.Rosco
AnswerID: 34119

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:54

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:54
and of course he wouldn't have a vested interest in saying that...noone can tell me that standard 4WD shocks are going to outlast Old Man Emus on corrugated roads...have a look at how puny the standard ones are - small capacity, thin-walled...the physics speak for themselves...
FollowupID: 24545

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 15:21

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 15:21
Hey Pathfinder

I hear what you're saying and am inclined to agree.

However the question remains ... if after market stuff is the bee's knees how come you never see it (well I haven't anyway) on Army vehicles or those of the various state government departments ... Mines, Police etc.

I wouldn't be inclined to go with the cost argument .. after all they don't seem to have many qualms about spending OUR hard earned dollars do they?

FollowupID: 24598

Reply By: ray91 - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:55

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:55
Prado Boy you would still need two spares / front and back are different shocks, size, shape which ever make you buy. Have a look at Opposite Lock or OME they both have good setups. To lift the car 50mm a lot of work has to be done to get the angle of the drive shafts right. Also you can end up with no or little downward travel with the front wheels. The rear is no problem longer springs+shocks works good, but the front is a lot harder to get right. Have fun ,let us all know what you eventually fit . Have a look here also .. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/90scool/
AnswerID: 34146

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 13:29

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 13:29
I have 9000's that have been replaced with 9x's and wouldnt go with them again. They failed within 6 months.. 4 mths of that I was recovering from a Knee Reconstruction.

The new Tuff Dog have adjustable shocks like the ranchos... But IM going Konis.

YMMV.
AnswerID: 34150

Follow Up By: Prado Boy - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 23:07

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 23:07
Hi Truckster,

Thanx heaps for your reply! What exactly was the nature of the failure with your 9000X's? I have seen the Tough Dog's advertised but am not sure what their quality is like. Have you heard anything about them? Do you know where they are manufactured?

I've got some mates who swear by the Ranchos - but they've all got the older 9000 jobbies. Is there something about the 9000X's construction that makes them less tough/reliable? I thought they'd just changed the valving??? Also - what's the majority of your 4WDing consist of - hard core, bush tracks or touring etc? I'm more touring oriented, with a fair bit of sand work (deserts, beaches etc.) and lots of dirt roads.

Sorry for the 20 questions routine. Respect your opinion as a very frequent poster to this site and am after a littel bit more info if you have the time. Any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thanx in advance,

Prado Boy
FollowupID: 24646

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:52

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:52
My old 9000s died, were replaced, then the 9x RIP, they were replaced..

"I'm more touring oriented, with a fair bit of sand work (deserts, beaches etc.) and lots of dirt roads"

Try Dave Z's 90scool list on Yahoogroups. Dave knows his shiat, and is very respected. If your only doing sand and touring, I would go Konis, or Bilsteins, for the smoother ride.
FollowupID: 24705

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 15:53

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 15:53
Prado Boy,

Your best bet would be King springs and Bilstein Shocks. Alot of people are have issues with the rancho's as truckster mentioned. Quite a few people on the 90scool site have gone to this setup and I have yet to hear any of them complain (will be doing my TX soon with 3-4 inch front and 4 inch rear lift). As for a 50mm lift that will be fine with your driveshafts etc but you will lose some down travel. It is when you go higher than 50mm you need to drop the front diff with a spacer block to bring the driveshafts back to a more acceptable level.

Hope that helps a little.
AnswerID: 34173

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 22:24

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 22:24
On Prados, the factory struts and rear shocks are equal to or better than any aftermarket brands in terms of reliability. For this reason many will fit stronger springs, but retain the factory shocks.

I like doing desert trips, carry a lot of weight, need the reliability and won't use aftermarket shocks on the Prado.
AnswerID: 34308

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:02

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:02
I have TJM suspension on mine and have been very happy with it. I think the springs are made by King, and the shocks are Bilsteins. The fronts are still good I think, but the rears are in need of replacement after about 75000 km. I'm going with Bilsteins again. I know that they are supposed to be rebuildable, but the outsides have been hammered a bit, and what am I supposed to do without shockies for a month? I got about 50 mm suspension lift and have had no trouble with drive shaft angles etc. I believe the original shocks are OK, so if your truck is fairly new, you could keep them until they wear out. The stiffer/stronger springs make a big change to the handling and load carrying ability - I don't think you'll be disappointed if you stick with a recognised package that have done some reasonable work matching springs to shocks etc. Good luck with it!Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 34754

Sponsored Links