dvd - "country code"

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:11
ThreadID: 78799 Views:3540 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
This is a new one on me. I thought I'd lash out $150 on a boxed set of dvds of an old show that we used to enjoy from Amazon. I've bought plenty of stuff from them over the years but got this thing back and I can't play it because it has the wrong country code. They know it's coming to Australia and on the box it says made by the BBC in conjunction with the ABC (the Oz one) I've been through the dvd player manual and followed all the steps to no avail and am about to return it to them. There's no option for dialogue because they're all dreop-down lists to choose the reason for return. But does this mean the end of Amazon for us? I'm buggered if I'll be ordering any more from them unless I can be sure this is sorted out.

I just hope somebody pops up and says "press button B and you're away" but somehow doubt it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Indigo Jones (QLD) - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:30

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:30
Steve,

You can either buy a region free DVD player or watch them on your computer.
Alternatively you can google for a code that can unlock your DVD player - I know with Samsung its a 6 digit code that you enter with your remote.
AnswerID: 418295

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:52

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:52
Thanks for that mate - it does play on the computer

I've been going dotty for the past hour or so playing with my remote and the dvd player. We do have an older one I'll dig out and hope it might work on that or we might just have to go for one of those region-free jobs

grrrrrrrrr
FollowupID: 688334

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:09

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:09
Steve

As IJ said, you should be able to find a method of hacking the DVD Region code on the Internet. We bought a new Samsung BR player recently, and it took all of fifteen minutes to Google the hack for the make and model, confirm the hack method on a number of different sites, and actually implement it on our new player.

If that fails then you may have to find a friendly teenager - they'll know for sure:-)

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 688430

Reply By: john&thejayco - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:33

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:33
g'day Steve,
i gather you mean the region code,most newer dvd players are region free so you can play dvd's from other countries, also the format may either be pal or ntsc . some older players will only play our own region 4 dvd's in pal format.On the back of some players there was a small switch that either changed format or region, i can't quite remember,but it might be worth taking a look, hope some of this helps.
Cheers John.
AnswerID: 418299

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:41

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:41
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 418302

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:00

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:00
I sat up in my van ready to watch a DVD on my last tour of Tassie... no TV reception, but my evening was set.... then my little DVD player wouldn't recognize it! I thought it was because I had an old and cheap player... so maybe it's the DVD! ?

AnswerID: 418311

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:02

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:02
Steve,

Have a look at Videohelp (click here). In Australian the Region restriction on new equipment is now removed due to the global sale of DVD's.

On the web page type in your make and model and it will tell you if the region can be changed to "0" which is region free.

I have had the problem in the past, normally a 4 - 6 digit code.

good luck
AnswerID: 418313

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:17

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:17
you bewdy - the above link worked - just type in your model no in the box and instructions will follow - easy, even for techno mugs like me.
FollowupID: 688403

Reply By: ChipPunk - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 23:47

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 23:47
Technically, region codes are illegal in Australia (ACCC ruling - "restraint of trade").
And I'm sure our American cousins would not impose region codes since they too are into "Free Trade". (LOL!)

But yes - there are sites that supply the appropriate unlock codes.

If I recall, you should also be able to go to the retailer that sold the device (player) to you and they "shall" solve the problem. (Otherwise they are selling illegal merchandise aren't they?)

And of course if Amazon have sold you something that is "unfit for purpose", that to is covered by the ACCC regulations and a solutions else refund shall be supplied.
AnswerID: 418335

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:47

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:47
is Amazon aus?

""unfit for purpose", that to is covered by the ACCC"
our rulings do not apply to products one imports for themselves
FollowupID: 688408

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:05

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:05
No, but it covers products sold into Australia - whether through a retail shop front or website.
FollowupID: 688410

Follow Up By: Honky - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:52

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:52
I think you will find Amazon have a disclaimer about regional codes.
So it is up to the buyer to make that decision.

Honky
FollowupID: 688425

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:53

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:53
i dont think your right ChipPunk
thru a retail shop yes it would......but not for stuff you purchase overseas your self.

FollowupID: 688427

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:19

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:19
I have never bought from Amazon.

But if it is similar to eBay (even pre eBay.com.au), then what I say is correct.
FollowupID: 688433

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 06:57

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 06:57
Amazon have quite a prominent blurb about Regions and buying from outside the US and the discs may not play when you get them.

It pays to read the fine print because there's not much point in returning them.

However, most, if not all, new DVD players are Region Free and cheap. If you end up buying a new one take one of your discs into the shop and try it first.

Out of curiousity, what was the show?

I wanted to buy "The History of Britain" by Simon Schama. The ABC Shop wanted about $150 for the 6 disc set. That's just silly. I got it from Amazon UK for $25 shipped.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418349

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:19

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:19
All Creatures Great and Small - 7 series + 3 x Christmas specials (33 discs)

see you in a couple of years time

;-))

FollowupID: 688404

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:17

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:17
Alas their blurb is overruled by our legislation, but that depends on whether "bought overseas" or bought through a website "here"....

People said we couldn't stop eBay - an overseas company etc - from enforcing PayPal-only payments. But we did. (LOL!!!)
FollowupID: 688432

Reply By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 07:25

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 07:25
I have noticed with some of my DVDs (very few, just a couple of specialty ones that not many people would buy) that they are really really really coded to region 1 and won't play in my Aussie-bought Samsung DVD player that normally plays whatever region it likes.

To overcome this problem I have my computer thinking that it is in Region 1- I hook it up via HDMI cable to the TV, open the DVD in Windows Media Player (VLC quality is terrible on a big screen), switch the screen output over and watch them on the TV.

It's a bit of a pain- I don't know what these people want to achieve by putting super-duper region locks on their DVDs!
AnswerID: 418353

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:51

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:51
"very few, just a couple of specialty ones that not many people would buy"
you'll go blind watching that stuff...hahaha
FollowupID: 688409

Reply By: OREJAP - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:20

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:20
Hi Steve, I have felt your pain. I bought a well known brand (I don't know whether I am allowed to mention it here but it is the opposite to blunt!!) Great surround sound with all the speakers and just mighty to watch a good DVD. Tried to play some DVD's & the player kept telling me "error" So went into codes on the "Puter" to change my player to accept ALL DVD's. Well my brand didn't have a code so I was stuck. Next thing (Months later) DVD Player stopped playing discs. Because DVD Player & surround sound in the one unit it looked like I had to throw it all away. A trip down to local Dick Smith store & $30 later new DVD player only. Hooked wires from original unit (amplifier) onto new DVD player & away we go.
AnswerID: 418380

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:33

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:33
Is that one of those el-cheapo $30 DVD players that had "undocumented features"...?

Like it plays mpg and other formats that others don't?
My $30 Palsonic plays mpg etc off DVD+/-RW etc - that's why I bought it.

That's the problem with el-cheapo stuff - they couldn't be bothered turning off the features as done with more expensive brands and models. (Must be the high labour costs.)
FollowupID: 688441

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:16

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 15:16
It's all very well them putting a disclaimer (and the onus on the buyer) on their site but if you don't suspect any such sudden restrictions you'll just hop on and spend spend spend :-0. I went into their returns feature and surprisingly had the chance to send the dvds back for a full refund but apart from the disappointment of going without, I thought maybe one of you good chaps would come to the rescue.

I'd've thought anyone from Oz buying in the UK, something with new restrictions on it should be notified at the point of paying. They don't mind going out of their way to make a point when it suits them.

My player is an LG and the weblink that was put up on reply#5 (thanks Tone;-)) would be worth bookmarking if you haven't come across this yet.

AnswerID: 418420

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 05:11

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 05:11
Steve
DVD 0 (zero) is zone free, and should play anything..

From what I have found out, over the years, the cheaper the brand, the more DVD's it will play, as there are many formats.

I have a Aldi special ( $50 ), and it plays anything
I have a Pioneer, it plays anything.

I have a Phillips DVD recorder, and it's fussy. And will be going to the tip soon as Hi Def TV is all I can get.

Will be switching over to a media player... ( no DVD's ever again Yippieeee! )

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 418483

Sponsored Links