GQ dash noise

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:56
ThreadID: 78810 Views:4098 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Our 89 Patrol has developed an awful rattle/squeak in the top left and right sides of the dash. I've had the instrument panel out and it's behind the air conditioning ducts which makes it inaccessible. At the moment it looks like removing the entire dash and steering column is the next step. Anyone had the same problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GQueue - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:28

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 09:28
Ah yes, the ol' GQ dash squeak.

Ours does it on rough roads, new tyres and body rubbers have made a big difference but it and a couple of others are still noticeable sometimes.

Have a peek over at http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/ , stacks of info and guys that are invaluable with their knowledge.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 418373

Reply By: GUJim - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:29

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 10:29
Hi Brett & Julie.
Also has this problem with my (since replaced by a GU) GQ Patrol.

In my case it turned out to be excessive movement in the bonnet hinges. The GQ normally doesn't have any support/locating rubber bumpers along the sides. It relies on the hinges and the rubber bumpers at the front for its location. A lot of use on rougher roads will eventually cause enough wear in the hinges to allow them to touch the fire-wall area and of course squeak their little heads off.

It can be easily tested by having some-one wriggle and push the bonnet while you sit in the drivers seat and listen.

The fix (if it turns out to be your problem) is as simple as lubricating the hinges to stop the squeak, and to add some bumpers along the sides of the bonnet under the existing bolts to reduce the movement. I visited my local wreckers, surveyed a few wrecks and found some that would suit. You want something that will provide both support and limit the side-ways movement. A couple on each side with one as near to the hinge as possible was enough to resolve my problem.

Another issue with the GQ, but unlikely to be your problem from the description, is the grill. It's plastic and held in place by plastic clips which wear badly from rough road travel. I replaced mine with bolts which resolved that problem too.

Hope this helps, Jim.
AnswerID: 418383

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:18

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:18
Yep that front grill is fairly cheap. surprising considering the strength of the rest of the car. All my clips have broken but I've used cable ties. Definately a design fault (or to save $ on the production line).
sorry, off track from the original question :(

Cheers,
FollowupID: 688469

Reply By: mechpete - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:35

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:35
my trusty GQ has spent most of its life on the dirt . and recently it started to
rattle an squawk in the area .pulled the front guards off and the plenum grille
popped out the w/screen and had the fatigue cracks welded up .was quite
bad .
mechpete
AnswerID: 418443

Follow Up By: Brett & Julie - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:46

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:46
Where were the fatigue cracks exactly?
FollowupID: 688805

Reply By: Just some guy - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 20:03

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 20:03
Yep - I had a similar problem once - rattle/squeak in the top left and right sides of the dash - just like you. Thats where the speakers were. Someone left a country music CD in the cd player when they sold the car. Easy fix in my case... although calling it awful is going a bit far!

Cheers and I hope you find it and fix it. Rattles and squeaks drive me crazy!
AnswerID: 418462

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 21:36

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 21:36
Definitely agree with Jim above - check the bonnet hinges. I used to have one and it did the same. Took me ages to find it, but when I did, I simply used a big shifter and gave the hinges a slight sideways twist so that there was a small amount of pressure on the hinges in the closed position. It never squeaked again!!

I know, a bit rough, but very effective.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 418472

Reply By: Brett & Julie - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:49

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:49
Thanks to everyone. I wouldn't have thought of looking at the bonnet hinges in a million years! I sure hope that's our problem.
AnswerID: 418687

Reply By: mechpete - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 20:31

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 20:31
Gooday Brett.
under the front guards there is a reinforcing plate that is spot welded that faces you when looking at the side of the car , mine had poped open the spot welds and the seam that goes up to the windscreen open under the plenum grille which is easily seen in the same area also had come appart .
Check under the floor mat on the drivers side below the pedals .there is a seam where the floor an firewall join .mine also pulled apart .very common if used a lot on the rough country . and very noisy .easily rewelded and sealed again .
mechpete
AnswerID: 418697

Reply By: Brett & Julie - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:36

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:36
Thanks mechpete for your info. Had a play around with the bonnet and sure enough the noise stops if i push it sideways. Very grateful for everyone's good advice.
AnswerID: 418755

Sponsored Links