Choice of Caravan

I havn't done any caravanning yet. Does anyone know about Jurgens Caravans. I'm interested in the 21' Lunagazer. Its tare is 1740kg with dual axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:05

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:05
They are a South African Design, now made in Aus.

AnswerID: 418440

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 10:49

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 10:49
Had a look at one when I was in Albany

Thoughts

Very light chassis with the Alko compressed rubber suspension.

Dont think any other vans use this. Must be a reason.

Wasnt impressed with the finish inside, the sliding concertina cupboard doors were flimsy and broken on the one we saw.

Lots of windows Bit like sitting in a fishbowl.

It may be alright but seemed of very light construction compared to most Aussie vans.
Certainly wouldnt be on my list of things to buy.
AnswerID: 418521

Follow Up By: bjgard - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 12:58

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 12:58
The Alko IRS is used by most European manufacturers. Phoenix have used it for many years also on their off roads vans and gets good reports of long life and good ride and towing. I see Star craft have built a van also with Alko IRS fitted as an option. The majority of Australian builders probably reject it because of price.

The Jurgen van originally built in Africa seemed to be a extreme off road van but the local build units seems to be a black top cruiser, very low to the ground from what pictures I have seem.

Barry
FollowupID: 688637

Follow Up By: Keaysie - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:08

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:08
Thanks Graham & Barry. Yes I think they are from South Africa. They were here some years ago selling off road van but they pulled up stumps and went home. Now they are back with 3 van: 21' Lunagazer; 18' Skygazer (I think) and a smaller one.
Well there is not much feedback but at least no one is saying anything bad about them.
Cheers
FollowupID: 688660

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:31

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:31
Well my comments werent exactly pro them

I also thought they were very low with small wheels. They would have trouble with some spoon drains I would think.

Possibly no feedback cos they arent selling.

I never saw one on the road in last 13 months only the one in yard in Albany and wife and I didnt like it as stated.

The chassis is C section which isnt the strongest and has lots of cutouts to

conserve weight at the expense of strength I would think.
FollowupID: 688668

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 17:18

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 17:18
Not sure what you are intending to do with your van, but you may be interested in the Quantum or Eclipse from Australian Off Road Camper
Trailers. Try here- AORC

Regards

Steve
AnswerID: 418938

Sponsored Links