ATV & Tinny/Kayak trailer in Victoria

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 23:07
ThreadID: 78831 Views:6979 Replies:2 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Good'ay all, I need some advice in regards to trailers. I've never owned one before but we're just bringing more and more things to camp now that it will soon be a necessity.

At the moment I'm just doing research but I will be purchasing one by the end of the year. The end purpose of the trailer will be for three main things:
1. 3 to 3.5m Tinny or two single kayaks (secured upside down on raised bars)
2. mid sized ATV
3. camping gear such as cooking boxes and esky.

I'd like to know if anyone owns a similar one and would be able to give me a heads up on any flaws or innovations I should know about. Something simple yet rugged will be fine. No need for tinny loaders as such, but a ramp for the ATV is a must! I'm more interested in referrals to reputable dealers who can custom build it as there were quite a few with cheap lookings sites on google (I don't know if i should be correlating website quality to build quality haha). In the mean time I will be reading through some of the insightful articles on EoZ.

Cheers,
Will

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 06:31

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 06:31
Hi Will

Mate we build them to your spec's, but we're in Northern NSW.
I am actually starting on one next week for the exact reason you want one.
8'x5', Heavy duty with create attached having rolers on top for there tinny.
4 Jerrycan holders, extra long drawbar to allow for a large Box.
Ramps for the quad, stored underneath.
All on a heavy duty shazy and 4wd wheels (the owner supplied these).
Not sure what the quote was, thats not my department.
Be carefull who you deal with as a lot are made with light material and don't go the distance.
Cheers
Rob T

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418485

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 21:26

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 21:26
Hi Rob,
Sorry for the late reply. It sure is a shame I don't live in NSW! Do you think you could take a photo of it when you're done? Like you said, it sounds exactally like what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering... how do people get their atvs up on the trailer with the cross bar for the tinny in the way? Do you just duck down or something? Haha. I'm assuming there may be a way to remove the crossbar?

I saw something similar that looks good which can be fund here:
http://www.kleightrailers.com.au/gallery/trailer/ztrailer%20tandem%20box.jpg
I don't think it will be necessary to be a tandem as the tinny and atv combined will only weigh around 400-450kgs. The ramps i had in mind were removable ones and the second bar (shown in the middle) to be towards the back end. Also would a fold down door be able to support the weight of the ramps with atv on it, or will it have to be a swing-out type? Based on your skill and experience what would you suggest? So many choices to make in a custom built trailer.

Cheers,
Will
FollowupID: 688835

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:11

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:11
Hi Will

I couldn't open the site you said to have a look.

Yeh I guess you push the ATV on so you don't have to duck. Or have the cross bar higher.
The Ramps would be removable and stored under the trailer with spring loaded pins to lock them in.
As for the tailgate, it' would be personal preference.
Fold down should be designed to open over the ramp supports, (usually angle welded out and under the rear cross member of the shazzy), and as the trailer is still attached to the vehicle, no weight would be on it.
It's done by welding the tailgate hinges out from the trailer body instead of flush on the body.
It's easier to understand if you can see it rather than read it.

Anyway I'll try to post pic's up once finished.

Good luck

Cheers
Rob T

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 688871

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:24

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 18:24
Thanks for the followup Rob. I like the ideas you have given, especially with the ramp storage. I would have just dumped them in the trailer with the ATV! Anyway, apologies for the previous link on the picture, i've fixed it so please click Here.

Looking forward to those pictures when you're done.

Cheers,
Will
FollowupID: 689113

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:21

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:21
Looks good Will

Ours will be a hi side ie 500mm deep sides with the top rack 1 metre above that.
I guess that answers how you drive the quad on without ripping your head off.
Our price (I asked the boss) $3,000.
I think that will include fully meshed creight, rollers for the tinny and the four Jerrycan brackets.

Cheers
Rob T

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 689129

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:07

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 22:07
Hi there Rob, just wondering if you've finished building the trailer? I'm still itchin to see those photos.

Cheers,
Will
FollowupID: 691394

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:35

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:35
Hi Will

Mate up to the gaurds today'

Will try and get some pic's as it is and then should have it finished early next week.
The owner has changed a few things, the creight is higher than he thought it would be for lifting his tinny on too.
So he is opting to have extra frame on top so as to put one of those roof top campers normally on the vehicle on it instead, and the tinny will go on the vehicle.
So now we will be putting drop down legs on the back of the Trailer for stability at rest.

Cheers
Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691428

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:09

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:09
Sounding like a great trailer in the works. Can't wait to see those pics! yeah, those drop down legs are something i'm looking at getting too. I'll be doing the cooking on the back of the trailer, gonna need a level surface for that. Any idea of the extra costs involved? Cheers
FollowupID: 691473

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:33

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 18:33
I Hope these turn out.
Will send more as it develops or is finished
Cheers
Rob
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691524

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 19:22
Thank you for the photos Rob, looks like a masterpiece in the works. I've got a few questions for you. With the side panels, is there a reason why they arent straight/flat rather than crinkled? Also, regarding the A-frame, it looks like you'll be bolting on a metal box of some sort to it. I was just wondering if it would be structurally stronger if the A-frame were to be welded directly to the front end of the trailer-box rather than having an extra rectangle before the trailer-box.

Cheers,
Will
FollowupID: 691541

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:50

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 20:50
Hi Will

The sides are like that for greater strength. They are 530mm deep, not standard. Most heavier trailers have folded sides.
As for the "A" frame, that is actually one part.
i.e it is all part of the Draw Bar, (if you look at the last pic, you will see it starts just infront of the wheel) and is Welded all the way through, though not continuos.
It starts just infront of the Spring hangers (Suspension mounts) and continues straight to, as you have said, take a storage box that will be 600mm deep 1800mm wide and 500mm high.
This is for his Genny and any other gear he wants to put in there.
Infront of that will be the spare and Two more Jerrycan holders (water).
There are to be two more jerrycan holders, one behind the gaurds on each side, and an Outboard motor carry rack at the rear as well, already fitted but not in the pic's.
The crate is actually around 450mm too high (he over estimated) and that is why he has decided to put the tinny on the car.
The bowed top of the crate is for fitted canvas, to help keep the weather out.
The customer plans on doing a Lot of outback touring with his Tinny and Quad, hence the heavier than normal coupling and other things.

Will post more pic's as Igo on.

Cheers
Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691560

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 20:03

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 20:03
Finished ProductImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 692375

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 00:30

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 00:30
I'm impressed Rob! That's more or less the trailer I had in mind minus the cage and the arches on top, and probably decrease the height a little. Thank you for your insight and expertise. I've learnt a lot and will be able to make a more informed decision when the time comes later this year.

Cheers,
Will
FollowupID: 692411

Follow Up By: Member - Robert James T (NSW) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:42

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:42
Hi Will
No worries mate.

Yes it is far to hi, but as I said, that was the customers spec's. He wants to put a custom made tarp on top to keep out the weather, and the arches are to allow water to run off and not pool. The flat bars over that are for him to have a Camper top put on, again way to high, but his choice.
The sides are 2mm better for off road trailers, the checker plate floor is 2.3mm again heavier for the off road.
Onething to look for, our trailers are Fully sealed around all the welds on sides and the floor, this helps prevent moisture getting in on the areas that you can't get much paint on, and as such Slow's down the chance of Rust, thus extending the life of your trailer.

Good luck with it all, this trailer has come in around the $5000.00 mark (to cheap as far as I'm concirned) but I only make them.

Cheers
Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 692416

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:06

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:06
Will, if you are in the outer East,South/East of Melbourne can recommend a bloke in Cranbourne, Greg Smith, Smithies Outback Gear 30 Cooper Crt Cranbourne, 59954325, will listen to what you need/want and give you options etc. I have one of his trailers as a base for a camper and it is very well made. No affiliation etc, etc.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418497

Follow Up By: CodMaster - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 21:30

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 21:30
Thanks John, I don't mind driving around, as long as they're a reputable builder I'll drive anywhere in Vic to get it made. I'll keep it as reference for when the time comes!

Cheers,
Will
FollowupID: 688836

Sponsored Links