Grazed Nomads

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2010 at 08:26
ThreadID: 78840 Views:3463 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 11:21

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 11:21
Geez,
Lindsay Bros. were known as upside down transport. looks like there is a new contender.

Good to see no one badly hurt.
AnswerID: 418525

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 12:43

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 12:43
Before them it was Rocazanos ^^^^^^^up transport.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 688634

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 11:43

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 11:43
I just witnessed a near multiple fatal.

A line of traffic was heading south along the Bruce Hwy near Bororen. There
was 3 cars then a B Double followed by another dozen cars (me being 3rd behind the B Double.

As we approached the cemetary (of all places) a p plater in a GU decided to overtake the B Double. We were all doing around 100kph at this point and still a bit bunched up as we had just come out of a 60kph zone.
As the GU got about 1/2 way past the B double, a falcon and caravan turned North out of the cemetary without looking to his left. He was looking to the right for traffic going in his direction (we all do it).
He got right out onto the road before seeing the GU comming straight for him.
The B double is on the skids, the falcon with caravan freak out and drive off the road and the GU swerves infront of the B double probably polishing the trucks bullbar as he went it was that close.

It was a life lesson for the p plater not to overtake when there is a side street in the middle of the overtake and the falcon owner to look both ways before pulling out. At least they learnt it and are all alive an well (except for their undies) to remember for next time.

It only takes a moment of innatention for deadly results. There was a caravan rollover 2km south from this spot last week. A falcon towing a large dual axle van (maybe too heavy?) got a bit out of shape somehow on a straight section of road, sideswiped a family in a RAV (writing it off) and flipped the van on it's side on the wrong side of the HWY with the car jacknifed facing the opposite direction still attached to the van with the rear wheels 2 feet in the air (strong hitch eh). They were lucky no one was hurt and they drove the falcon away but the van is still in Miriam Vale all busted up.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418531

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 12:47

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 12:47
Learnt the same lesson as that P plater, passing a truck on the highway in my mini years ago, on a long straight.

Farmer drives up to the front gate and turn left right in front of me.

I was half way down the truck so put the right indicator on, and onto the dirt, and the farmer went between me and the truck, and didn't see me until he was passing me.

Always check side roads and driveways for vehicles now, before overtaking.

I was still shaking when I got home.
FollowupID: 688635

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:00

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:00
An almost identical thing happened to me John, many years ago.

Passing a truck when a farmer's ute pulled out from the scrub lining the road. Turned left and came straight at me. Was just able to brake enough to get back behind the truck.

The farmer had come out of a paddock gate and was hidden from my view while probably shutting the gate. There was no visibility of an access through the scrub line until you were adjacent to it.

Nowadays, whenever I overtake I remember and hope to hell that no-one pops out from behind a bush. It is not always possible to have an absolutely clear landscape to overtake.

And no Dave, we don't "all do it", fail to look both ways that is. After that incident I am very aware of the need to look both ways. You could easily be looking straight at a Mack bullbar!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 688657

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 15:05

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 15:05
I guess one positive to take out of this one is the condition of the A-Van after it was all over. It's still comparitively intact. Must have a pretty solid frame in there. All the vans I have seen that have flipped, and there have been a few over the years, have totally disintegrated. It looks like the windows have even remained in place. I hate to think what would have happened to one of the "50% of the market vans". Maybe the extra paid for some of the other brands does give better quality. BTW I don't own a van, let alone an A-Van.

teege
AnswerID: 418545

Follow Up By: gjcumming - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:44

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:44
Hello teege.

Sandwich panel, nice & solid just like the 50% of the market vans.

Regards: Grant
FollowupID: 688686

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:33

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:33
Grant
When I see one upside with the windows intact I'll accept that.

teege
FollowupID: 688699

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:06

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:06
Glad they got out ok.

Car and van are just like a couple of turtles I saw at the Perth Zoo.... they couldn't get back over onto their "wheels" without help from the keeper either..... lol..
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418554

Reply By: wendys - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:26

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:26
Says van wheels went onto verge and then rolled down embankment. But .....double white lines, rig on right hand side of road, facing north. I can't figure it out.
AnswerID: 418559

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:59

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:59
Poor buggers, I hope they are OK. Insurance will hopefully pay for the material damage for them, but it would have to be a bit of a mess trying to recover your stuff from that mixed up mess, not to mention getting back home & sorting everything out.
AnswerID: 418564

Sponsored Links