Cat Batteries

Hi Folks, Looking for all info qood and bad, from people who have fitted and used, Cat batteries, running winches, fridges, and lights. Not looking at the deep cycle batteries. Fitted in a GQ 4.2 diesal patrol.

Cheers Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:58

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 19:58
So you want to run a fridge with a Catapillar cranking battery ?
Can I ask why ?

Do you know who makes the batteries for Catapillar ?

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 418592

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 02:33

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 02:33
not everones satisfied with the same scenery for days on end and a cranking battery runs a fridge just fine BTW
FollowupID: 688728

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 08:08

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 08:08
get outmore,
Yes, I agree with you, not everyone is satisfied with the same scenery for days on end, particularly if your where you just don't want to be.

However if your camped where you D0 want to be and you have time then I believe people tend to stay as long as they like, maybe to enjoy the fishing or enjoy the scenery, I know I do.

But then that’s why I have to use solar power, simply because I tend to remain at one place for weeks, if not months, at a time and therefore need a very reliable source of electricity to run the fridge, lights etc.

I use AGM Deep Cycle batteries because they do recharge much, did I say much, well ok very much faster than conventional batteries.

I use Deep Cycle AGM's because they do, with-out any doubt at all, maintain the fridge over a much longer time period than a Cranking battery, simply because they are specifically made to do a different job to a Cranking battery.

One has the ability to deliver exceptionally high cranking Amps over a short period of time, however the DC will deliver a L0W Amperage over a L0NG period of time.

However, if your continuously traveling then any battery at all will do, even a small Cranking battery, because your alternator is continuously recharging the battery, but here we are talking about long extended stays at a campsite where you are very happy to remain for many weeks at a time, not continuously traveling and looking for somewhere else to be.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 688736

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:11

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:11
Hi mainey,

I have always used Yuasa wet cell batteries, on an average have always got 3 yrs plus from batteries $190 to buy to me good value.

Deep cycle batteries don't like being used by a winch, so a compromise has to be taken on board.

Have been quoted by Hasting Dearing 600 plus cranking hours for $125.

No i don't know who makes Cat batteries, and i hope your not going to tell me China.

cheers Col
FollowupID: 688816

Follow Up By: Member - Paul & Bill M (SA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:23

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:23
I agree with mainey . big industry this dry cell battery business .
Truckdriver with good old lead acid batterie
2 off these batteries for one drycell $$$$$.
FollowupID: 688951

Follow Up By: Member - Paul & Bill M (SA) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:25

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:25
i ment kiwicool. lol
FollowupID: 688953

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 20:47

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 20:47
i had one many years ago in an FJ40 that my neighbour got, it was nearly new but it didnt even last 2 years before it died.
AnswerID: 418595

Reply By: ChipPunk - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:10

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:10
Winches require craning batteries.
Fridges & lights are usually deep cycle.
The two types are quite different except where sufficient size provides high "cranking" current, or the advertising with certain batteries says so (ie, the big-O AGM batteries).

For fridges & lights, either keep track of the voltage or consider an LVCO (low voltage cut out).
AnswerID: 418602

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:45

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:45
interesting that you bring this up kiwicol,

generally, if the starter battery is large and heavy and of the wet cell type (I presume this is what cat batteries are?) then yes, you can expect to draw 15 or 20Ah from them on an ongoing basis without damaging them.
Just keep in mind that using wet cell starter batteries in cyclic applications requires longer charging times because their charge acceptance isn't as good as the VRLA AGM ones.
Alternator charging a wet cell battery in cyclic operation is not recommended because alternators only provide a kind of float charging voltage thus it would take ages to top the charge off.

Speaking about VRLA batteries, there are indeed deep cycle VRLA AGM batteries which offer the highest cranking currents (or winching currents) for their size:
Spiral pure lead/tin technology, lowest internal resistance of them all.

Not exactly cheap but good value for money for many applications with a high current demand, and exceptional durability even in partial state of charge operating conditions.

There is some good info about them, just see my profile.
Just reply in this thread if I can be of more specific help.

Best regards, Peter
AnswerID: 418608

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 09:42

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 09:42
Hi Col
I will try to answer what you asked..
Cat batteries are very good and more heavy duty than a lot of other brands, but you need to make sure they are made in the USA. I don't know if they still do, but some of their smaller batteries were made in the Philipines and were
rubbish failing after only a short time.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 418635

Reply By: Rod W - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:41

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:41
I've been using Cats for about 6 years (Truckster put me on to them, remember him). The reasons I went for Cats is they are competitively priced and a 10yr pro-rata warranty. One did fail a few years ago and the warranty save me a few dollars on the replacement.

When I see other supposedly quality batterys like the Optima with 12mths warranty and a price tag of a squwillon quid it just does not add up.
AnswerID: 418645

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:16

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:16
Thanks Rod W

Col
FollowupID: 688818

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:40

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:40
kiwicol
Check out ThreadID: 14873

Forget the prices cause it's a few years old now

Maîneÿ . . .