What type of winch?

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2010 at 20:29
ThreadID: 78858 Views:6329 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Looking for a winch that could be used to lower a camper trailer down a steep driveway. We have ordered a camper trailer that is about 1000kg loaded & our driveway is quite steep with a 90 bend at the top so not possible to back the trailer all the way down the driveway with the 4x4 attached. Plan is to un-hitch the trailer & winch it down the driveway until it hits level ground again. I have been looking at boat winches but not sure if they can lower on the winder as well as retrieve, I would think so as boats are quite heavy. Don't want one that just 'lets go' after releasing the clutch as its bye bye 50k camping trailer : (
Any recommendations? don't really want a power winch.
Cheers

mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:43

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:43
Most of the manual boat winches are power in only, free on the outgoing.
I use one to lift the Shippshape on and off the Humvee's roof and it is ok as long as you let it out slowly by hanging onto the handle and lock it when you want to stop. Wouldn't want to or be able to do it with 1.5t hanging on it though.
I've also got a small 12v Superwinch which is sold to fit to boat trailers for big heavy boats and it is also only power in and freewheel out.
My father in law had it to winch his van up the drive and down beside the house running on a big 12v power supply, he towed the van out ok just couldn't back it in with only 150mm total clearance.
I think unless you get a 240v industrial winch or a "proper" 12v winch for use on a small 4wd they will have both power in and out.
Alternatively get a length of cable or plasma rope and mount a snatch block up in the garage and slingshot it up and down. Cheaper and the 4wd will do it easily.
AnswerID: 418597

Follow Up By: Mark - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:51

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:51
Thanks Peter,
I thought it might be the case that most mechanical winches were power in only. I will have to look at the 12v option I think.
Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 688702

Reply By: crd patrol - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:44

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:44
I for one would be trying to lower a camper trailer down a steep driveway with a boat (hand) winch. You will need to get power winch to do this as you will have better control over the whole situation. Most hand winches have only got a 6 or 9 meter cable on them so if your driveway is longer then you will have more issues to deal with.
Most boats are just pushed off the trailer as the water is enough to slow them down quite considerably and then you stop it going any further with the rope you have attached to the bow.

Where were you planning on mounting the hand/electric winch?

You can buy a cradle for electric winches that lock into the tow bar reciever of your vehicle. Then all you need is to have a set of leads from the winch to go to your starting battery to run it. Depending on the size winch you get will depend on the size cabling you will need.

I would not trust a $100 hand winch to lower a $50,000 camper trailer down a driveway.

Another idea....can you turn the camper trailer around at the top (assuming the driveway is flat at the top) and then hook up the 4wd then just drive down the driveway.

If you wanted to turn the camper around at the top and to make it easier for yourself, you can buy a battery or 240V powered jockey wheel setup that will enable you to turn it as well as move it backwards and forwards. I am pretty sure you would not be able to back it down your driveway with this device but if this enables you to hook it up to the 4wd and drive forwards out of your driveway it just might save you the hassle of a winch.

crd

AnswerID: 418598

Follow Up By: Mark - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:57

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 21:57
Thanks for the advice CRD, Was planning planning to mount the winch on a steel post sunken into the ground & bolted to the edge of the driveway. I see your point about spinning the trailer around & lowering it down with the 4x4, problem is the driveway is also quite narrow so hardly enough room to get the 4x4 in & out so doubt i could use the 4x4 to steer the trailer in. The powered jockey wheel probably would not work in this situation as the there is not enough room to manoeuvre at the top of the driveway. I suppose we could move : )
Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 688703

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:20

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:20
What about a front-mounted (removable) towing hitch - to push/drive it up the driveway?

Remember to un-hitch and remove said ball when finished .... so you can remain 'legal' on the road .

I have a "50mm ID" square tube welded to the front of the Troopy ....
mounted a towball to a similar length of "50mm OD" square tube
and simply plonk it inside the 'receiver' tube when required.

Locate and drill an appropriate size hole through both(BEFORE welding it on !!) ... to take a hefty through-bolt/pin .........

Mine is mounted off-centre so I can see where my boat is going .... your may need to be central because of your narrow drive.

Very useful arrangement .... ideal for large vans also.

FollowupID: 688706

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:23

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:23
Oooooops !!!!
Sorry - that should DOWN the driveway, not up.

Just saw the last follow-up !
FollowupID: 688708

Follow Up By: crd patrol - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:24

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:24
Do you have somewhere that you could store the camper while you are not using it say at a family/friends house. This might raise more issues I suppose with wanting to pack it up at your house then leaving it out overnight (security issue!), just before you leave on a camping trip.

I suppose we could move : )
This could be an option if you just won lotto (then you could have a big shed to put it in....ahhhh could only wish!!!!) but if your other half is like mine you might be on a tight leash for a while since you bought the camper. hehe

Do you have a winch on the bullbar of your 4wd (do you have a bullbar?? or use a winch cradle in your towbar). If this is the case then like was said above you could use a snatch block on the post you want to stick in the ground (I would stick the post in a long way with lots of concrete around it) and then lower or raise the camper. But when the winch hook got to the snatch block you would have to be able to hold the camper in place while you took the cable off the camper, removed the snatch block and reconnected the winch cable back to the camper to get it up to the top of your driveway. I suppose the steepness of the driveway would determine this.

I hope this is understandable.

crd

FollowupID: 688709

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:25

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:25
Oooooops !!!!
Sorry - that should DOWN the driveway, not up.

Just saw the last REPLY , I meant REPLY !!!
FollowupID: 688710

Follow Up By: Mark - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 08:36

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 08:36
Thanks Guys, Some good suggestions here. I don't have a bullbar as yet but understand I would have a lot more control of the trailer with a front mounted tow bar arrangement. The problem is the driveway is almost L shape & parallel with the street apart from the top part, I might be able to drive the trailer in though so will look into this. The winch cradle is another good idea & I could secure the trailer whilst spinning the car around as its fairly flat at the top.

"but if your other half is like mine you might be on a tight leash for a while since you bought the camper."

Actually probably a rare case but my missus is the one who pushed me into spending 50k on a camper & I am the most conservative one when it comes to finance's. If it was up to her we would never had got that much dosh together in the first place ; )
shoebuy.com would have been happy though!

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 688739

Reply By: Indigo Jones (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:16

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:16
Have you considered a towball on your bullbar and just drive it down with the CT in front ? It takes a bit of getting used to steeringwise but a hell of a lot safer than using a winch.
AnswerID: 418603

Follow Up By: crd patrol - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:32

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:32
Actually this is a much better idea than the one I suggested. It would able you to push the trailer up and also be able to drive out your driveway. But you would need to have a wide enough driveway to do this or could you remove a few plants at the edges to make it easier.
FollowupID: 688711

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:58

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:58
For me only one solution: Go to a salvage yard and look for recycled garage door motors. They usually come with gears, run forwards and backwards, can be easily wall mounted and should be strong enough depending on the size of door. You might even get them new at a decent price.

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 418611

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 14:10

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 14:10
Type doesn't matter, as long as she can cook, clean, gut fish and owns a boat and a liquor store.
AnswerID: 418656

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:43

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:43
Whoops....I thought you said wench!
FollowupID: 688802

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 14:56

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 14:56
There is a boat trailer winch that works both ways, it uses a friction clutch mechanism instead of a pawl. It is also used on trailer sailers to raise & lower the centreboard.
If you can't find one, I will look at work & see if I can get you a make.
AnswerID: 418658

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:44

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:44
Found them!
Have a look here ..... BRAKE WINCHES
And HERE.

FollowupID: 688804

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:02

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:02
Mark,

If you use a winch it will have to be fitted with a brake, having said that why not use a 240v winch placed at the bottom of the driveway, then run the cable up and through a turning block so you can lower and pull the trailer.

The winch can be covered for the weather and placed out of the way.

Try Here
AnswerID: 418690

Follow Up By: Mark - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:07

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 09:07
Thanks Rockape,
Thats a good idea, I'm thinking of still maybe getting a 12v winch so we can use it for recovery as well when out & about. I could set this up under the car port and then use a turning block like you suggested.
Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 688870

Sponsored Links