On board air

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:36
ThreadID: 78906 Views:3463 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys...

Have been doing some reading, amongst other things - and have come to the conclusion that I want to fit an engine driven air compressor.

I have, sitting in the shed, a WRX air con compressor, a SR20 Pulsar air con compressor, and a 4 Cyl Charade air con compressor. When the weather clears up (and I'm not driving to uni for my exams!) I'll get my butt into gear, and start looking at options.

I'll most likely be sticking a tank in the boot, so I can save under body space for a larger fuel tank...

What I want to know, is what those of you do when you put the truck away?

Do we leave the system charged, or discharge it somehow? I always got my ass kicked when I left the tank of the garage compressor charged overnight...

If we do relieve the tank at the end of the day - what are different methods that we have come up with to do this? Obviously, the first thought would be a ball valve on the manifold that one operated at the end of the day...

What about automatic solutions? Any reason we couldn't fit a massive valve to the tank that released on a timer, say 1 minute after the engine stopped? With a manual valve interposed so this function could be disabled should the air need conserving for whatever reason... The big kid in me thinks that it would be cool for my little truck to go *pt-schhhhhhhhhhhh* a little while after I cut the engine...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:03

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:03
Same as a truck, leave the tank charged and bleed off the water with a manual valve on the bottom of the tank in the morning.

A/c compressors need oil and for their bearings and seals, that oil is in the a/c gas. no oil, siezed compressor.

AnswerID: 418815

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:12

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:12
no cool *pt-schhhhhhh* then...

Does said bleed valve need to be elegant? Or could it just be a ball valve off of a length of hose that attaches to the lowest point of the tank? Or even better, have the tank mounted "Upside down" with a T piece, ball valve on the bottom, tank on the top, and "Everywhere else" off to the side...then just operate said ball valve in the morning like you say...

Was going to put an inline oiler on the intake for the compressor, and a separator on the outlet, to take car of pump lubrication...
FollowupID: 688944

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:16

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:16
Mate, a ball valve is fine and I see you have the lube worked out.

FollowupID: 688946

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:17

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:17
excellent. Now all I need to work out is finding the time to do such work...
FollowupID: 688949

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:20

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:20
ps. Cheers for the quick reply!
FollowupID: 688950

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:24

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:24
Hey! I think you will but just make sure you have a pressure release valve fitted.
FollowupID: 688952

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:26

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:26
of course!
FollowupID: 688954

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:05

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:05
If you go to this site www.patrol4x4.com and type endless air in the" search" you will get heaps of info.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 688963

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 21:47

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 21:47
Hi TehEkHo

I have an old AC compressor that lived under the bonnet of my HJ45 troopy many years ago. I haven't fitted it to the present HZJ75 because space limitations
make it a bit more of a challenge to drive it from the engine and my 12volt compressor does the job but no where near as well. As far as lubrication went I just took the plug out of the side and squirted in a small quantity of gear oil mixed with a little Wynns additive every now and then. The air delivery line went to a piece of 2" water pipe with the ends closed off and a drain valve in one end. This pipe was mounted vertically behind one of the uprights of the 'roo bar. I crammed as much steel wool into the pipe as I could and this served as a separator to take the oil that left the compressor out of the air. The air then went to a tank with a drain valve in the bottom and a pressure relief valve in the top. The air that came from the tank had no discernible oil in it.
I don't know if leaving the pressure in the tank does any harm but personally I have always vented the system through the drain valve at the end of the day.
You can get dump valves that operate automatically when an amount of water is collected in the air tank but I don't see the necessity for them on a car unless you want your little truck to go *pt-schhhhhhhhhhh just like a big truck.
As far as the time taken to inflate tyres with a 12 volt jobby versus an engine driven one I have never seen even a fairly good 12v one come even close.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 418844

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:00

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:00
May look at replacing the drain valve with something that operates automatically down the track, when the big kid in me can spend money on pointless things...
Until then, I'll stick to the manually operated ball valve.

How big a tank do (did) you run and how long did it take to fill from empty?
FollowupID: 689000

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:16

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:16
The tank is about 30 cm long and about 20 cm in diameter, took about 1 minute to charge up to about 50 psi (sorry don't know the kpa conversation just off the top of my head) with the engine idling, obviously quicker with the hand throttle wound up a bit.
The other mod I was going to do but never got around to was to fit a pressure switch that turns the AC electric clutch on and off at preset pressures rather than just letting the safety valve operate.
FollowupID: 689003

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:30

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 22:30
When I do it, I'll be wanting to add the pressure switch from the get go...

Will throw in a check valve with unloader to give me the *pt-sch* (not quite *pt-schhhhhhhh*, but still...)
FollowupID: 689010

Reply By: Grungle229 - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:36

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:36
Hi TehEkHo,

You will find the system will bleed itself off over a single or couple of days either back through the compressor or small leaks in the system.

When I did my system, I was carfull to use liquid thread sealer on all connections as well as pinch clamps for the hoses. There is a one way valve after the endless aircompressor as well but the system only stays charged for 24 hours. This is not a bad thing as the system works as it should for when I need the air.

My install can be seen at ->http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html

Regards
David
AnswerID: 418872

Follow Up By: TehEkHo - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:26

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:26
Grungle,

Went to the tip today (I frequent the buy back as there are quite a few good bargains to be had from time to time...) and spotted a Sanden AC Compressor. The bloke looking after the joint wanted $10 for it, and an old school fold out camping table (You know the kind that weigh 20kgs...) so I couldn't say no...

Its a 510 Model, so the 5 Piston job, but slightly larger than the one you used in displacement. Looks to be slightly larger too...but thats based on pictures.

Went and popped the bonnet this afternoon and had an eyeball. Looks like I'll be able to mount it down below the factory AC. Shall be making bracketry out of some 3mm plate, and most likely using the same belt as the AC... Will have a look at the AC compressor more closely when I get in there and work out exactly how I'll be knocking it all up. With some luck I'll be able to attach it off the side of the AC, and then tack together the actual mounts in place on the vehicle to save problems with alignment...

I Guess time will tell...
FollowupID: 689131

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:26

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:26
I had an endless air setup on my old Hj75. Fits easy on that motor.

I found a twin piston a/c pump from a Jap import car that a repair shop had lying around. The twin piston a/c pump where not that popular as they are a bit larger and harder to fit under the bonnet of new cars but they did have a small oil sump that kept the unit lubricated and did not rely on lube in the gas.

This kept going for over 10 years until I sold the car with it still working with no servicing or adding oil to it.

I ran the air into an old auxillary air tank from an International truck that I picked up from a truck wreckers yard. (standard air fittings just screw onto these) On this I also fitted a blow off valve set to 110psi.

This was the best air compressor I have ever seen operate and could pump tyres faster than any others and keep going to pump multiple cars. Rev the car up and it would just pump even faster.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 419023

Sponsored Links