Favourite TV identity

Submitted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 18:55
ThreadID: 78907 Views:2898 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As a kid i can remember spending some weekends watching shows with the old man about the Aussie bush. With characters such as Malcolm Douglas, Leyland Brothers, Alby Mangels and among others Les Hiddins.

I really enjoyed these shows as a child and all through my teen years, and even as an adult i still enjoyed the re runs. But now i've grown up a little and actually have a fair few years experience under my belt, i know look back at them all differently.

For me i enjoyed Malcolm Douglas because alot was filmed around the Kimberley doing things i did with my old man. Now i appreciate what these people did for a living, does life get any better then what they got paid to do?

Recently i purchased the Bush Tucker Man series on DVD, as i remember enjoying it as a kid and thought it would be good to see again. Now, im a little older and understand what this man was about and what he went through, i cant respect him enough. In my eyes Les Hiddins is the absolute master of all these shows, his knowledge extends far beyond anything Malcolm and others could understand, and the life he has lived is incredible. I find him rather fascinating, humourous and down to earth. He opened up another world for alot of people in the bush, and really helped the aboriginal people share some of there knowledge of the bush which, i know would of taken us hundreds of years to learn otherwise.

What this man achieved even before the show, 25 years in the Army, serving in twice in Vietnam, and earning the rank of Major is a feat in anybodys book, and something every Aussie should be grateful and respectful of. But even during and after the fame and fortune, he strived to do something for fellow Diggers who were struggling with life after duty. What these men went through i will never know, and hopefully will never experience, but alot of them hold Les in very high regard for his efforts during and after his time serving for Australia. His work in helping establish ''Pandanus Park'' for soldiers is just one of the many contributions this man has given Australia.

He has been awarded the Member of Australia medal, and also Honorary Doctorate of Science by James Cook University’s Faculty of Science, Engineering and Information Technology.

Really to me it amzes me the amount of bush tucker and resources i have had right in front of me, my entire life. Some even growing behind me as i type. This knowledge i am sure is great to know for all of us who visit the outback, as i was taught alot about bush foods and living off the land but not quite as much as i would have liked. I will be getting the bush tucker field guide for sure and keeping it in the car with me.

Really it makes others like Bear Grylls and Ray Mears seem a little weak. Still great in there own sense but just not quite on the same level.

Heres a 25 minute interview with the man, for those interested. I highly recommend watching it.
Site Link

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: uneekwahn - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:44

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 20:44
Check out "Les Stroud" from Canada. A "true" survivalist, not like Bear Grylls :)

Absolutely love Les Hiddins, and I'm only 32 :)

Cheers,

Jason.
AnswerID: 418831

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 21:54

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 21:54
When we did Cape York, about 10 years ago now, we kept bumping into a guy who was a mate of Les'.

John had worked on the Cape for a few years as a driver and guide for a bunch of CSIRO scientists. He claimed he knew a little but said that if you really wanted to know stuff about the plants and animals on the Cape the only man to talk to was Les.

The scientists kept "discovering" things and John would say Les showed him that years earlier.

I have one series of Les DVDs, actually, I think they are VHS, you yungn's can ask the oldies about them, anyway I am fascinated not only by how much Les knows about the bush but the way he travels. His set up is so simple but he carries so much gear, Landrover and trailer for just one man.

The other thing I like about Les is his no nonsense approach. Statements like, if there is not enough energy in that food you are better off not to chase it.

The one I really like though is the example he sets, if you go anywhere near the water in the Top End carry a hand cannon on your hip.

Any crock that comes after Les had better make the first bite a good one.

As for the Member of Australia Medal. Just reward for a life well lived.

Duncs
AnswerID: 418847

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:13

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:13
He always seemed very vegetarian.

Did he ever cook up a goanna or kangaroo? I think maybe I remember a file snake.... but then again maybe not.

Sad that he didn't continue on with that series and the historical one too.
AnswerID: 418858

Reply By: Ray - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 08:24

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 08:24
Les should have been given a knighthood but those days are gone when we could appreciate a person by calling him Sir.
AnswerID: 418880

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 08:57

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 08:57
Ray, got to admit, the Honours Lists allways seem full of people who are obscenely over paid for what they do.

Occasionally you will see someone mentioned who has benefited society in some real way but you wonder if its simply a token gesture.

Cheers......Sir Lionel.
FollowupID: 689046

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 09:14

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 09:14
Recon that even if you gave Les a knighthood he would prefer not to be called "Sir" , would have had enough of 'sir' after 25yrs in the green machine.
FollowupID: 689047

Sponsored Links