Fantastic Hatch Problem

Help /Advice please.

I have a fantastic hatch 2y old ( ceiling 2way fan) in our van. It is 12v and has a small fuse. It auto shuts off if the outside lid(hatch) is not open enough to allow the fan to draw in or draw out air.
The fan slowed down and stopped. It will not start. There is no obvious signs
as to why? Anyone have this problem ? Any ideas how to fix? Have visually checked fuse, wire connections and lid cut off switch. All ok.

Thanks Reg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oldfart1953 - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:30

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 23:30
G'Day Reg,
Arn't they a great piece of equipment the Fantastic Hatch.....they move so much air.....but unfortunately yours isn't at the moment.
Have you removed the flyscreen (about 8 screws) & put a test light on the wiring going to the fan motor....with fan switched on the test light should illuminate when probing the power wire....test light on....no operation?....sorry the fan motor 'has gone to god' or it could be a crook earth.

CU down the road
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 418860

Reply By: carlsp - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:30

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 07:30
The most likely thing is the auto turn button is sticking. Climb on the roof and open the hatch ...............ok. open the hatch then climb on the roof. There is a silver button (but it does not really look like a button) that sticks. Pull it up and the fan will turn on. Spray some WD 40 on it and work it a few times and bingo, it will be back in business.
AnswerID: 418869

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:15

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:15
Might well be that sticky cutoff mentioned by Carl - let us know please if so (I'll write it down in my 'book of fixes') - ours is 12 months old and has a thermostat dial in the circuit too - that needs to be set in-range, for ours to work. The Fantastic is a great idea - if they last for many years, then they'll be a great product too :-o).
AnswerID: 418890

Reply By: Cruisin-Oz - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:08

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:08
Thanks for the ideas.

Have checked the small shut off switch on the outside.

Have checked all fuses (there are 2, van and fan) and have used a current tester (with light) on the wire going into the fan engine. There is no power going through. So, I used the tester where there is a small fuse next to the speed dial.
There is power getting there.
Next, I have tested the wires going into and out of the speed dial switch. It seems there is power going in, but no power goes out when the dial is turned on to any of the 3 speed settings.
This leads me to believe the problem is this dial?? I have contacted the c/van manufacturer and am waiting on their advice.

I will update when this is finally fixed.

And yes this fan is very important to us for air flow in heat conditions and to assist greatly in the removal of cooking odours.

Cheers Reg

AnswerID: 418983

Reply By: Cruisin-Oz - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 23:06

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 23:06
Finally found out the problem.
After replacing the speed dial and testing the fan, the 4amp fuse blew. Long story short, the fan motor is drawing too many amps. Fortunately, the van manufacturer is very helpful and is sending me another motor.
Apparently, this is a very uncommon problem.
Thems the breaks.

Hope this may help someone.

Reg
AnswerID: 420108

Sponsored Links