BF Goodridge

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:15
ThreadID: 78944 Views:3688 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Recently I fitted 2 new BF Goodridge A/T tyres to the rear of my 06 duelcab hilux. The fronts are the same but 30% worn. The car now has massive oversteer and poor directional stabillity. The car is dangerous to drive above 90Kph with a full tank of fuel and some camping gear in the back. Michelin say this is normal and the tyres are OK.
I have since removed the tyres and fitted Goodyear A/T and the car drives perfectly. Extremely Disapointed !!! Buyer Beware!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:33

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:33
Paul
Michelin says what is normal? Did you try putting the new tyres on the front? I find the suggestion of "massive oversteer" strange(OR, do you actually mean understeer?), unless you are talking about in 4wd. Even then it doesn't gel, but may have something to do with it. And what do you mean by "directional instability" - was it wandering all over the road? What size are the tyres? Has the vehicle been lifted or modified? What you have described would be indicative of a problem in the front end, rather than the rear tyres. I think you have not told us all there is to know here.

teege
AnswerID: 418989

Follow Up By: paul6108 - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:46

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:46
With the tyres on the front it performs 98% normal. When turning into a corner you have to correct your steering/decreese your turning. It feels like driving with flat tyres. They are 245/70/16 @40psi. It has ARB 2 inch lift package. At 100k you can feel the rear end slide around which causes the directional instabillity.
FollowupID: 689153

Reply By: WYSIWYG (Bundaberg Qld) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:45

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:45
Paul,
Teege already touched upon the matter of having the new tyres on the front but the tyre dealer that looks after me indicated that new tyres should be on the front to prevent similar problems to what you are experiencing.

Try changing and see what happens.

Cheers
AnswerID: 418993

Reply By: Wherehegon - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 21:38

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 21:38
I always put the new on the front and the front to the rear (I don't rotate tyres) I have always run BF A/T's on all my 4wd's (zuks,hilux,prados) and never ever had the problem you describe and the tyres wear extremely well easy 60K+. Even fitting new to the rear with only 30% worn on the front I have no idea BUT I know when I have had 2 new tyres fitted the tyre place always puts the new on the front, maybe to overcome the problem you are experiencing ?? Not sure about buyer beware, but be careful about bagging a product could land you in hot water !!! Obviously some thing going on as replacing them with the Goodyear seems to have fixed your problem. Did you get your money back for the tyres ?? If not did the tyre place recommend putting the front to rear & vice versa.?? Regards Steve
AnswerID: 419013

Follow Up By: paul6108 - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:58

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:58
This has been an ongoing problem for a few months. Tyres have been swapped, flipped, rotated ect to try and rectify the problem. The new tyres were fitted to the rear because of the higher load over the rear and the risk of puncture.Two tyre dealers have looked at this problem with zero results in fixing it. Im scared of spending another 600 to match them up for fear of the same problem. Surely It wouldnt happen with 4 new tyres. I to have run these tyres on other vehicles with good results this is why it concerns me.
FollowupID: 689213

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:07

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:07
I accept that what you are saying must be true... but can't work out how this could be.

Something must have happened in the fitting.

Does this happen on the bitumen or is it on gravel that it happens?

I would have thought a change to the front tyres might have had some steering input. I have had blowouts on the back of my vehicles and barely had that much of a dramatic effect.

Wracking my brains... Are you sure that the nuts were on properly? Sometimes a wheel seems to be tight but not fitted properly. Maybe when you had them replaced the problem was fixed?

Surely there was something visually wrong when you took the BFGs off? Did you swap them over at all to see what would happen? Wow!

AnswerID: 419018

Reply By: ian zzr - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:35

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:35
hi paul , new tyres should always be fitted to front, otherwise you will suffer what you described. any good tyre shop should have advised this , and years ago would have just done it that way.

AnswerID: 419025

Reply By: bockstar1 - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:55

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 22:55
Hi there

I'd concur with the previous posters re. fitting new to the front of the car and swapping the existing front ones to the back.

I purchased 235/70/R16s BFG ATs for a previous car. I bought 2 of them for the front as it was due for rego and I needed new rubber. Approx 10 months later I purchased 2 more. The shop fitted the newer ones to the front and move the existing to the back.

It drove fine beforehand and afterwards.

Sorry, I can't be of much more help.

AnswerID: 419029

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:26
As others have said- fit the newer tyres to the front-
Then, if the oversteer persists- try playing with pressures..
To decrease oversteer- increase front pressure- (or decrease rear pressure)
In setting up for 'handling' tyres pressures can make a heap of difference- just ask a V8 race car driver !!!

AnswerID: 419237

Follow Up By: paul6108 - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:17

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:17
Hi signman
Thanks for your input in this matter
Im still not understanding why the problem has completly disapeared after fitting 2 cheaper tyres to the rear.
I did try different pressures and found the opposite to what you said. Increasing rear pressure helped. Are you getting confused with understeer.
FollowupID: 689609

Sponsored Links