Soft Roader to Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 05:03
ThreadID: 78954 Views:6118 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

One of the guy's at work asked me wa sit this year we are heading to the Cape .

Nah I replied next year, what's up ?

I would like to come, but will my vehicle make it ?
It's a Ford Territory, 6 speed auto, 4 wheel drive.

Arn't they 4X4 auto selected, not manually done ?

I will put up a post up on ExplorOz, and find out if any one else has done it in a Territory, and take it from there. Otherwise, if you want to leave it behind in a creek crossing, feel free to come along.
Personally, I would love to drive someone elses up there, and it would probably make it, but I would not take mine.

As I explained, to him that he may have to do a lot of work to the vehicle, ie raise it, off road tyres, blah ! blah ! blah !.

Cheers
Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:52

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:52
In 2006 we had to recover a Territory on the Bloomfield Track.
He was on a day trip to Cooktown and wouldn't take our advice.
Drowned the engine. Luckily he had a Hayman Reece towbar and it was just a dead tow.
It was a late wet season and all the rivers were up.

AnswerID: 419047

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:14

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:14
The first vehicle up the Cape was an Austin 7. I haven't been up the Cape since 1975, but there were a lot of two wheel drive cars doing the trip in those days, and I understand that the Mini Moke Club does club runs up there from time to time. I know of others who have towed caravans to the top. As noted, I haven't been up for a long time, but I have difficulty with the suggestion that a Territory, appropriately driven, could not make the trip.
AnswerID: 419053

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:32
Terry, My first vehicle was a 1927 Austin 7. Didn't buy it from new but!!
Two blokes could just about carry it across a flooded creek.

Had some great times in that car but not sure that I would like to attempt the Cape in it though!

Speaking of which, we leave in 10 minutes for the Cape. Cheers all. :))

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 689203

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:50
It depends on the route which can be easy or hard. The development road is pretty easy. I think a lot of the good stuff is along the hard tracks.
Mike
AnswerID: 419057

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:18
AT tires instead of the factory fitted HTs and some common sense will get the ford to the top , picking the timeframe when the crossings are low and the track not fully chewed by the 6 inch lift bandits is the hard part.
AnswerID: 419061

Reply By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:40
Chances are a Territory would make it up and back the development road OK. we saw a Rav4, a Vitara, and several Subi's up and back.

Later in the season the creeks will be low but you have to contend with the the bull dust and rough roads.

You would be limited to the places you could go which make the trip what it is example being Chilli Beach and back across Frenchman's, Wouldn't want to try and pull up out of the Pascoe in Territory.

AnswerID: 419075

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:13

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:13
Hi,
I have just left a guy in Blackall who was returning from the Cape. he was in a 2WD Territory towing a home made small caravan that he usually pulls with his Model T. He was in company with a Nissan. The Nissan had to pull him across one creek otherwise he was fine.
Bill
FollowupID: 689546

Sponsored Links