Fridges Again! Waeco v Engel

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 790 Views:4763 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I had basically decided on the 52 l Waeco over the 40 l Engel, due simply to the extra capacity, which my wife is telling me is all important! However reading comments on this and other forums has now confused the hell out of me. The major concern is a problem one Waeco user had using in rough conditions. I will be on very corrugated roads for the majority of the time and regardless of after service back up, do not want problems.
On the other hand the extra capacity for the same external size as an Engel is a huge incentive. But is the 10l freezing compartment only for freezing or can it also be used to chill only?
Most times I don't need a freezer, so the extra 10 l capacity over the Engel would be wasted if it can only be used as a freezer. Price has little influence, Engel has built in 240v converter saving $80 over Waeco, also transit cover for Engel is $70 cheaper (special deal), so total all up cost for either is $1200 give or take.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Blackie - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00
I could be mistaken but I thought the larger compartment on the waeco was the freezer section. I could be wrong.
AnswerID: 2216

Reply By: Weddy - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00

When it comes to storage capacity I am very sceptical of the litreages quoted. I recently looked at both brands of fridge and thought that the 40 litre Engel appeared (visually, not measured) to have more storage room than the same sized Waeco, while both seemed to have storage space well below the quoted number of litres.
Are the manufacturers quoting on something other than storage capacity, or is it just an optical illusion?
AnswerID: 2217

Reply By: Alex - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Blackie and Weddy for your responses. Somewhere in my internet travels I read about the freezer compartment being ten litres, but this is certainly something that I will need to confirm.
As far as the alleged capacity goes, you are quite right Weddy, the CFF 40 Waeco is actually only 37 l, whereas I believe the Engel is the true 40l capacity. On the other hand, I think the CF 50 is in actual fact 52 l in capacity.
AnswerID: 2219

Reply By: Ken - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00

Does the Waeco have substantial carry handles and a means uf tying it down to the floor of your vehicle.Australian 4WD Monthly sept 2001 edition did a comprehensive comparison of portable fridges and I think this was one of their main criticisms of this fridge. Regards Ken
AnswerID: 2221

Follow Up By: Ken W - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00
Ken the Waeco CF50 does have large handles to use as tie downs, I have one in my Patrol and it hasn't moved since I installed it
FollowupID: 787

Follow Up By: Alex - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00
Have just got hold of a copy of the fridge comparison. Very interesting, although I thought they were a bit biased towards the Engel. Looking at the results when tested in temperatures up to 50 deg. C, I read the results as showing the Engel as performing the worst, yet they still gave it favourable comments.
FollowupID: 796

Reply By: Jeremy - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

The 52lt Waeco fridge does have good tie down handles, one of the improvment with this late model. as for the frezer compartment........waeco likes us to say that there is not a freezer compartment due to the fact that it is hard to keep ice cream etc frozen depending on ambiant temp and batery power and so on..........the larger compartment is the colder section so........ when you freeze down meats etc in the cooler section you can keep your milk butter and other items in the seprate section.......hence not freeze while your meats etc will stay at a colder temprature. as for reliability the waeco fridge's they run Danfos compressor gear which is world renownd for being the best not only in waeco fridges but anything to do with refrigerstion........hence any refrigeration mecanic in the world can repair them if required..........you will find now that all the elgle service centres are now also waeco service centres............. Good luck.
AnswerID: 2234

Follow Up By: Alex - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. One other question, is the CF 50 built in Germany or China? If in China, are the components built in China under licence, or are they German built and assembled in China?
FollowupID: 789

Follow Up By: Jeremy - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

I was under the impression that they were made in germany and assembled in china........but i will check for you and let you know !
FollowupID: 795

Follow Up By: Jeremy - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Yes we are told that the waeco fridges are assembled in China with German Danfos Gear !

We have sold tons of 52lts in the last 3 months and you wont have much problem with them, the only small problem is that the early lids tend to not have the UV balance right and a couple have been lifting in the corners...........they are now bringing out lids with better UV balance and renforced with steel to make them much stronger.............personaly haveing delt with every brand of fridge you can think of........the best fridge for dollars is the Waeco coz it runs on the best compressor gear in the world !
Good luck and happy traveling !
Check out my web site www.murraytrek.com.au
FollowupID: 799

Thanks again Jeremy, you have been a great help. Now all you need to do is get Waeco to spread their distrbutors around a bit. Our local retailer was unable to stock Waeco, as the rep told him there are outlets in Perth and Albany, and that was enough. But it does leave a rather large gap of 400 km's in between! Our small town now has two Engel outlets, which seems a bit silly.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.
FollowupID: 802

Reply By: Porl - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

For a true freezer and fridge with a small freezer and larger fridge and with the freezer having a separate thermostat and its own internal lid (will not be flooded with hot air when you want to access the fridge) try the Explorer fridge/freezer, for details ring them at 07 4122 2246 - they use the Danfoss BD35, same as the Waeco CF50 dicusses in this section. I am saving up for the D45 - 30L fridge and 15L freezer that does actually freeze.
AnswerID: 2236

Follow Up By: John - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

Forget the rest and buy the best. The explorer is as rugged as they come.
FollowupID: 792

Unfortunately, I have size restraints when choosing a fridge, which would seem to limit me to either the Waeco or the Engel. The fridge will be used (when not camping) in a truck with a limited space for a fridge, otherwise I could have looked at alternative makes.
FollowupID: 797

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:00
We have a 40L Engel and the wife (in charge of food for family during long trips) uses it as a freezer. We also have a normal eski with the thinks we like to keep cold and rotate icee bricks between the engel and eski a couple of times a day. We also put cans in the Engel (freezer mode) about half hour before we want them cold (eg cans of drink). Seems to work well, though not sure of the power requirements of doing such.
AnswerID: 2257

Sponsored Links