Trailer buyers beware

Submitted: Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 21:39
ThreadID: 7900 Views:2658 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I bought my heavy duty off road trailer second hand from a mate. It is a good trailer and serves me well. This trailer is manufactured by a well known company in Adelaide. As I am going on a long trip next week I decided to buy a spare wheel bearing. I emailed the company to ask for details of the wheelbearing. Their one word reply was "B-type" So I emailed again to find out what type of hub and they replied 'Landcruiser'. So I repacked the bearings and whilst doing so got the bearing number. Went to my nearest Repco shop only to find out that it is a Holden bearing and that the hubs are Holden. The trailer company gets blank wheel hubs and fits Landcruiser stud patterns to them. A bit of a con,eh? Must send them an email and see what the reply is.
Willie

Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slammin - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 22:37

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 22:37
Thanks for that info mate, handy to know as I'm in the market.

Let us know what happens with the email. I think that is a rort as they said it was a landcruiser, NOT. Now if they said it was a landcruiser stud pattern..........
AnswerID: 34225

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 15:52

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 15:52
Slammin...I will be in Alice from 29th Oct to 15th November. If you are coming into town at that time we could catch up.
Cheers,Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 24678

Follow Up By: Slammin - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 23:03

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 23:03
Spewin Willie just got back from Alice today, so after that lot I can't afford to even think about it till school hols in mid Dec.
We were looking to head to Glen Helen maybe 29-15ish on a weekend for a few coldies and check out the music.
Where were you planning on visiting?
FollowupID: 25025

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:02

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:02
G'day Slammin,

Will be Alice based for our entire stay 2915th. Staying with friends at eastside. Contact me off the forum through my website www.kempen.id.au and let me have a contact number and we can arrange something. If you are going out to Glen Helen I will make an effort to get out there.
Cheers,
WillieWillie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 25079

Reply By: Member - Ross - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 23:09

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 23:09
I think you'll find that applies across the board .. not with all, but with a lot.Rosco
AnswerID: 34236

Reply By: daveread - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 07:23

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 07:23
Another consideration when buying a trailer, is to have the same track width and wheel/tyre size as the vehicle.
The same track means the trailer will follow the vehicle tracks in soft conditions reducing fuel consumption.
The same wheel/tyre combo as the vehicle will give you a few more spare wheels if things get desperate.
AnswerID: 34244

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 08:11

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 08:11
My trailer also has Landcruiser stud pattern but is fitted with a "slimline" bearing.

These are readily available. On my trip which covered a heap of corrugated road and no road work I made a tralier wheel bearing check as part of my daily vehicle check. Its easy , just grab the top of the tyre and shake it like crazy. Then it is easy to nip up the bearing if loose.

If I needed to tighten the bearing more than 4 times I would change it. and at only 20 bucks a throw its cheap.

Plus it gives me something to do when the fish are off the bite.

Brett
AnswerID: 34249

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 10:29

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 10:29
a common practise Willie.

Heavy duty bearing are quite expensive (even with 50% off) and are still about 3 times the price of 'standard" (holden) bearings.

Was repco's price better than a beraing Co such as CBc or Consolidated Bearing?

Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 34260

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 15:50

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 15:50
G'day Richard,
No CBC or Consolidated Bearing Company ( which BTW are one and the same Company) near me. Remember? I live in the sticks. Mid North Repco Port Pirie wanted just under $20 for a full bearing set which I thought was fair.
Cheers,Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 24677

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 13:54

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 13:54
errrr ....I meant Bearing Services.
My apologies Willem
20 bucks sounds ok thoughWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 24731

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 17:37

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 17:37
G'day Willie,

Was advised by a bloke from Bearing Service, to use Falcon bearings, rather than holden, as the ford b'rgs are bigger. Never did as he advised, because you can even get Holden kits at some Kmarts.

Think your case is a real rip-off, the only plus being that replacement bearings would be a lot cheaper than tojo equivalent. Safe travelling...

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 34281

Follow Up By: ramp - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:18

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:18
hi bob,i have a bcnu camper trailer and the bearings in it are ford from manufacture. i always thought john who builds the trailers did so to heavy off road conditions and now you have convinced me even more cheers rob
FollowupID: 24712

Reply By: Member - Donald_L - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 18:20

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 18:20
Hi Willie,
Allow me to comment: I come from a very strong engineering background where bearing failure diagnostics was a daily event & I understand the problems with bearing overload when only grease packed. High loading, Loose & Over tightening of the bearings as well as mixing different types of greases can lead to premature failure.
Recently I was in a caravan/trailer spare parts store & I was buying some hubs to allow me to have mechanical brakes on my simple box trailer. There was a large choice of stud patterns. Holden 14" Pre HQ, Holden HQ onwards, Ford passenger, 6 stud suit Land Cruiser etc and Un-Drilled Blanks. Ford 14" passenger is the common rim & stud pattern that is universal on most new caravans & commercial basic box trailers.
The hub selection were for 3 catagories, plain hubs, mechanical brakes, electric brakes.
ALL were the same casting/Machining and all used the same bearing designation.
Not sure what bearing combinations were fitted but it was for ease of manufacture that options were generic.
It would be fair to say that they are designed for normal road & highway conditions...not off road or aggresive dirt roads.
I have an off-road trailer similar to you and after every trip in the scrub I find the bearings loose so it is a discipline you must have in maintaing the rig. Even if you had larger bearing load capacity they do take a pounding but granted if they are better designed you can have a longer run between maintenance.
I think there are a lot of assumtions made when the trailer manufacturer asks for hubs to suit a Landcruser etc. The supplier just delivers the generic application off the shelf.
I had bad experiences with trailer design as in my case the suspension failed hence there is little total engineering consideration in some brands of trailers.
Hope it is getting better for all our sakes.
Cheers
AnswerID: 34287

Sponsored Links