Northwest WA and NT during Dec - Jan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 23:57
ThreadID: 79018 Views:2873 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Would like to hear from anyone who has travelled these parts during the 'wet' season Dec - Jan.

I know places like the GRR are not accessable by road but are the bitumen highways normally OK. Am aware cyclones can change things of course but with normal rains for that time of year is it OK to travel the roads and get to a few tourist spots?

Also what about Arnem Land and other places in the NT

If I did the trip, I'd be pulling an airconditioned van. (Not into off road areas though) just use the cruiser for that.

I'm just in two minds about a few options for the xmas holidays and trying to decide.

I've been to the Kimberley in the dry and know its beauty but I recon the wet would be something to see as well. Just need a few places to take a swim!

Your experiences please?

cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muntoo - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:18

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:18
Anything is possible really. It could be dry for most of December or it could be the wettest part of the wet. You never know. But generally speaking its not till about mid January that the roads get closed, and usually its only a couple of days anyway. You are right in saying that the wet is something else, its THE ONLY time to see the North. But it is hot, but with an air conditioned car and van thats not a worry. The whole country changes and the whole experience is a million times different. Its a sight and sound paradise. If i was you i would do it, you wont regret it as long as you have enough time and take it easy. Try do things in the morning and late afternoon and leave the middle of the day for relaxing in air con or shopping etc.

This info is for the Kimberley mainly but the NT also. Now the Vic River bridge is done the roads shouldnt be a hassle on the NT side. I have lived in the Kimberley my whole life, and the wet season is unreal. You have to experience at least 4 weeks of it i reckon. You should get some good sorms in that time, and you will get to see the country change even more throughout the wet.
AnswerID: 419326

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:21

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:21
Andrew,
We were in Darwin in 2006, the caravan parks were closing for the monsoon season and I had to move out, phone the parks and check if they are open.

It's the tropics so be prepared for some very wet and humid days.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 419338

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:50

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:50
I doubt if the parks would all be closed these days as the price of housing in Darwin means many can only afford to live in the parks. I don’t know of anywhere you could tow an on road van in Arnhem Land as it’s all dirt. The storms are awesome to see and you won’t have trouble with crowds. Hope you have a split system for your van as I’m guessing the standard aircon might not work a great deal better than a fan. Can you power it away from 240v?The heat is interesting to say the least, just sitting in your chair with no shirt on will see you sweating like you have just ran a marathon. Make sure your time frame allows for getting stuck. But heck, just go for it!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 419344

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:18

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:18
Andrew,
there is lots to see and do in the NT wet season. The weather changes all the time, so just be prepared to change plans occassionaly. Kakadu is open all year round, BUT... roads and areas of Kakadu are closed dependant upon the weather. Same goes for Litchfield Park. Dirt roads and tracks can turn into major bog holes in the wet and obey road closed signs. There are some gorges/parks in the top end that have bitumen access so you can visit them almost any time.

Depending on where you were wanting to go: Most of Arnhem Land is a no go zone in the wet; you may get in, but not get out again until the dry.

Caravan parks in Darwin open all year round; sites such as Wooliana on the Daly River close, as their park and the road in/out floods for parts of the wet. You will have to check with these sort of places proir to travelling as to their status.

The Top End is an amazing place in the wet. Manage your time, be flexible and have fun.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 419358

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:22

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:22
hi andrew
its the wet period and it hot hot hot & humid and it's also slap bang in the middle of the cyclone season
be prepared for the fact that what is your travelling pride and joy one day could be turned into wreck in a short time by cyclone damage

if you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time

so be prepared to either batten down and take the risk or ride off to a safer area before it get there but that's sometimes hard to do or predict which way it's going
im not trying to put you off
but you asked a question ?
enjoy the experience with the above in mind
cheers
AnswerID: 419368

Reply By: Member - Paul&Bill M riverton- Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:42

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:42
Truckdriver. that country at its best to see from airconditioned vehicle i think when its wet .
it is the tropics.
if you get a chance go for a drive at night when its raining the wildlife is excellent .the snakes.the frogs oh and kill some kane toads under tyres
while driving.
AnswerID: 419382

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:13

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:13
Andrew, I don't think you will get any responses from anyone who has caravaned extensively in the top end and Kimberly during the wet season as none that left made it back.
AnswerID: 419387

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:32

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:32
The Kununurra locals say it is the best time to see the Kimberley. Subject to budget constraints, planes can get you into places where roads may be closed to see waterfalls at their most spectacular. We'd like to do it that way next time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 419421

Sponsored Links