V8 diesel 79 series

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:18
ThreadID: 79022 Views:3385 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted a DP chip or similiar to one of these and if so what changes are there? Should one change the exhaust as well.
Also have other people noticed how far out the speedo is on these GXL models with the original tyres . By moving up to a 285/75 R16 get the speedo right ? However have been told that the 285/75 is not legal to fit to the original 7inch rims so I have has 265.75 R16 fitted. Speedo now over reads about 3k. Due to the error in speedo compared to GPS , speedo is saying going faster than GPS.
Does this affect the odometer which will than affect the fuel usage figures we refer too ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:06

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:06
hi hinchey
cant help with chip imfo but with the speedo /gps

there is hardly a vehicle on the road that gives an accurate reading i've only had on--- a nissan pulsar was spot on
my vw golf is 6 k's fast /mazda bravo 4/ subaru 4/ ford falcon 4k's

most speedos read 4-6kph fast which may be annoying but it's better than reading slow by that amount
i have put my gps on several and they are all on the high side and manufactures aren't interested in making them to read correct???

you would think in this day and age of intricate technology that we are surrounded by that they would be able to fix it
but they cant be bothered

about 285/75/16 as not being legal on 7 inch rims

i think it's more that the oversize on too narrower rim is detrimental to the tyres wear and that it will be too rounded not sitting flat enough on the road suface is more the issuecheers
AnswerID: 419364

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:24

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:24
It is in the Aust design rules somewhere that vehicle manufacturers have to have the speedo read over what you are actually doing. If it is by more than 10% they have to bring it back under 10%.

This is why police will now book you for 1km over the posted limit.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 689550

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:20

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:20
Hi we have had ours for 3 years now and have not felt the need to fit a chip. We did put in a bigger exhaust which has made a difference - we have also added new coils to the rear and we have had about 80,000 from 6 rotating Cooper tyres - we do a lot of bush work as well as bitumen - and are overall very pleased with the ute. I thoroughly enjoy driving it - like driving an automatic for me - rather than my 1999 100 series (particularly in the traffic). We have just towed the Taj Mahal of camper trailers with a boat on roof of ute to South Australia and back. Under normal towing of just camper we would get 6 klm/litre but with the boat on we got 4 klm/litre. And yes, I don't believe the speedo is correct either - constant discussion in the ute! If you look in my profile it will tell you where to get the exhaust from and also the coils (the new rear coils made a very big difference with the towing).
AnswerID: 419365

Reply By: hinchey - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:48

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:48
Thanks for the replies I to have noticed that the speedo in vehicles all over read, as well.
I have done 40000 k in the ute have a Old man emu 2 inch lift kit fitted pretty well from new. Also air bags in the bag. A aluminium canopy on the back.
Use the vehicle a lot for towing and get good fuel figures out of it unless you really get up it. Was wondering what effect the chip would have with fuel.
These vehicles do not lack power or tourque, often feel the desire for a sixth gear though.

AnswerID: 419388

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 15:08

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 15:08
I fitted a "Tunit" chip chasing more economy but all I got was more power!!...certainly didnt need that..

however I took it off before it went for a service just in case there was some warranty issues and didnt put it back before the wife drove it......."whats wrong with the ute she asks...got no power!" so whilst it didnt need it I wouldnt be without it now.

As for the Speedo is about 7 kph out (reads fast) i.e 107 is really 100kph...i just work on 5 for safety. have measured ot with 3 different GPS and all agree with the above.

I am uncertain about Ruths comments because these utes dont have coils and if you dragging the spare tyre on the sand you would be above the fuel tank and well and tryly bogged ....as that is where they normally get placed above there and below the tray.

cheers

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 419390

Sponsored Links