GU4 Patrol Front Driveshaft

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:30
ThreadID: 79045 Views:3541 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
It seems the front driveshaft on the GU4 Patrol is assembled at the factory with the uni joint yokes out of phase. We have two and both are the same. This is the opposite to what standard automotive engineering practice states is mandatory. Does anyone have any knowledge of why they do this? The slip joint splines are all equally spaced so it is possible to re-align the u/j yokes so they are in phase.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:20

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:20
blown4by
That practice is sometimes used to help rectify (for whatever reason) unbalanced shafts and subsequent vibrations, often when a lift is done and altering the shaft angles greatly is a case in mind.

As to it being "mandatory" to have them in line is new to me, I would rather say "advisable in most cases" but there will always be occasional exceptions.
Cheers Colin
AnswerID: 419500

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:24

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 11:24
blown4by

Is it a problem? if not, leave well enough alone is my advice.
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 689692

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:56

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:56
Drive shafts assembled with the yokes out of phase are the major cause of torsional vibration. Drive shafts that are not in phase will vibrate with the same twice per revolution vibration as a drive shaft with incorrect operating angles.
That is what we were taught when I did my apprenticeship and is the one of the guiding principles on which drive line engineering is based.
It is not causing a mechanical problem but I do not want to wait until it does either. It is a problem in my mind because I know the way it is set up is incorrect unless Nissan have purposely designed it that way for a reason and if that is the case once I know the reason I will be happy to leave it as it is.
It would not be the first time incorrect mechanical assembly has occurred on a production line.
FollowupID: 689826

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 13:52

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 13:52
blown4by,
I'd be asking on here www.patrol4x4.com/forum some of these guys are very clued up on Patrols
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 689834

Sponsored Links