Prado and Lightforce 240's

Hi All,

I have just bought an 05 Prado with a sovereign Bullbar. Has anyone fitted (or tried to) a set of Lightforce 240 Blitz's? Does not look enough room but would rather find out before handing over all of the money. Otherwise is there a comparison in performance with any IPF's (HID's).
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 18:11

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 18:11
I have 170's on ours but 240's do fit this bar. Have seen a couple around.

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 419562

Reply By: dirttracker - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 18:39

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 18:39
The 240's most certainly fit the sovereign bar. All you have to do is reverse the lower most mount. This is no big deal and does not alter anything but the projection forward of the lights. They remain behind the forward edge of the bar by a smidjin. I went for the combo covers and later went HID. They are the ducks nuts and I can't see anything better around both in Halogen to halogen comp and HID to HID comparison. They are huge lights but the sovereign bar takes it and are not too large for the vehicle.

An '05 eh. Had one stolen a couple of months ago!

Martin
AnswerID: 419565

Reply By: Muntoo - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 18:43

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 18:43
Vehicle in town that has 3x 240s on same bar. They do fit, but they stick out a little.

I dont get what your asking bout the IPFs. I hope im on the right track here. The best IPFs to get are the 900XS, which are the round ones. They go well when converted to HID. Purchase from Ebay though NOT from ARB. Pay around $300 on ebay.

Better then the IPFs though for light output are the Hella 4000s, but they are around $210 each on Ebay.

The Lightforce 240s will give you unrivalled light straight down the road, but nothing to the sides. They are an awesome spot light, but no good for spreading. Unless you have great headlights with good spread, or do alot of driving where there is good clearance on side of road i wouldnt get them. They are great for spotlights though, just lack in the spread department. And reflector can be stolen easily too, by unscrewing the lens. They are thief magnets so i would advise to get the XGTs instead but there about $460 a pair and have exactly the same lighting as the 240 Blitz. They go well with a HId upgrade too though the XGT. The genuine Lightforce HID upgrade kit for the 240 Blitz is overpriced and pretty poor.

The IPF 900XS are waterproof too which is a real bonus.
AnswerID: 419568

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 20:46

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 20:46
The IPF 930SR is a better light but a bit more expensive.
Cheers Dave..
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 689755

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:12

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 21:12
Yeah the Super Rallys are a good light also, but the globes are a rip off. ANd not to sure how water proof they are, but you are correct in saying that there great lights. Dont seem to see many around though, they never really got the justice they deserve.
FollowupID: 689758

Reply By: blown4by - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:19

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:19
Do yourself a favour and buy Rallye 4000's. Lightforce are rubbish. I have them on one vehicle and Rallye 4000's on two others. If you want HID fit the Hella upgrade kits in them. The Rallye 4000 pencil beams give a wide enough spread that with two you can see way up the road and both sides if you adjust them correctly. If you drive in in hilly terrain with lots of bends go for one spread and one pencil.
AnswerID: 419590

Reply By: Mark Howlett - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:58

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:58
Well it sounds like they will fit. Before I bought the Smart Bar for our 90 Series I had a guy with the same vehicle and bar tell me they wouldn't fit. Well they fitted perfectly!

I have put the combo covers on both lights and even though they're 'only' halogen, they are brilliant. I would love to see what they can do with HID inserts.

I have had these now for 6-7 years and only recently the first globe has gone. Years ago I bought one of their bike lights, based on the rifle lights, and I used to have cars flashing me. Bet they couldn't beileve it when it was a mountain bike they passed! I also have an old spotlight, same as their 140 Lance driving lights, and this is now over 15 years old and working just as good as new. Based on my experiences, I believe the Lightforce range are excellent!

Mark.
AnswerID: 419592

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 01:41

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 01:41
Im with you in saying there great lights. Just not quite as good as they could be. For one, dont let moisture get into the housing or the reflector will go black. And the fact that your lens can be unscrewed and taken, which is very very common. I have the 240 handheld and love it. I will also be taking your word and trying out 2 of the combo filters to see how they perform with the Blitz HIDs.
FollowupID: 689784

Follow Up By: Mark Howlett - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:44

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:44
I've always worried about the theft bit and luckily in 6-7 years they're still there! In car parks I'll always try to park hard up against a wall or similar so they would have to be a contortinist to get them. One day I'll get some XGT's which will help solve that issue.

I've never had an problem with moisture but then it's not often I dunk them in a creek that deep.

I agree with you too about their use as a spotlight. Their reflector is just that bit more reflective than other driving lights I have seen, approaching a mirror, and that's where they outshine others I reckon. When I put the first combo cover on it didn't blow me away and I noticed when adjusting and covering each one up at a time, that the combo still had quite a good spot. That's when I thought I would try a second combo filter as I never 'outdrive' the original spot. And it works a treat!

We have a lot of roos out our way and I often get home in the dark at least 3 nights a week. There's certain patches where they usually hang around and in my Triton which has some little nite stalkers, I'm a lot more on edge than I am in the Prado with the big 240's.

Mark.
FollowupID: 689816

Sponsored Links