Tyre Placement

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:23
ThreadID: 79077 Views:3126 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G'day All

We're heading to Cape York in July ex Canberra and I'm sorting out tyres. We have four equally worn BFG A/Ts @ 50000km - we usually get 80000km a set. I propose replacing two, and taking the two that come off as spares. They are on a Hilux dual cab with canopy.

Opinions please on whether the new tyres should go on the front or rear. I'd thought rear, because of weight distribution, the tyre dealer says front. We've only had two punctures in seven years, both on the rear.

I anticipate one opinion will be "buy four new tyres", and I accept that.

Cheers
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mechpete - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 09:11

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 09:11
if your going off road . put the new tyres on the rear as they do
all the driving and weight carrying on road use new tyres go to the front for safety reasons , eg steering
mechpete
AnswerID: 419610

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 09:40

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 09:40
John,

You will be heading into a remote area on (very) worn tyres.

I and many others will recommend that your tyres have at least 75% tread depth remaining. Take a couple of half worn tyres as spare cases sure, but your vehicle road tyres should be in tip top shape.

This is to alleviate a possible expensive exercise in getting some replacement tyres to your location. Freight costs a motza to the cape. Plus the inconvenience to you and your family having to wait around for a week or so until they arrive.

I could probably ramble on for a bit here, but you get my drift.

My .02
AnswerID: 419616

Follow Up By: CJ - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:40

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:40
This is good advice
An I am very very careful not to talk against this sound advce,
Back to your original post, If I was you I would do as the same - replace two and take two spares.
Yes you are entering a relatively remote area, but there are spares available at Coen and Bamaga and CY is not known to be hard on tires. Well not harder than other corrugated roads. The OTL is not known to be hard either. Yes you can rip a tire in a creek crossing, but I can almost guarentee you won't if you walk the creek and take the right line, specially Bertie and Cockatoo Creeks. The majority are ok.

Enjoy - boy it is far from Canberra before you hit the dirt road!

BTW my 2c is to put the new tire in front. You'd rather want a blowout on a rear tire, not front at peed.

CJ
FollowupID: 689860

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 14:51

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 14:51
Hi John,

I would install the new tyres on the rear, as already noted, and note this also this helps establish a flat initial wear 'pattern'. this helps prolong tye life.

Rgds,

Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419650

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:39

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:39
You answered your own question. Rear.

OBT
AnswerID: 419662

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 19:27

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 19:27
i did my last outback adventure on 50 to 60% worn tyres and had no problems. they had 7mm left and were 15 when new. i felt that i could get another trip out of them before retiring them. i have seen this turn out not so good but have also seen new tyres shredded so its neither here nor there. probably buy 4 new ones if you cant afford that fit the 2 newwies on the rear.
AnswerID: 419680

Reply By: StormyKnight - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 20:42

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 20:42
New tyres are always put on the front on "cars" because front tyres do about twice as much as rears with regards to braking. (70:30)

Its just safer that way.

Your BFG's @ 50k to reach 80k would nearly be down to half tread depth at the moment.

Not so important once on the dirt, but you have a lot of km of tar on the way up & on the way back to consider as part of the trip!

If the funds can extend to 4 tyres the question is mute - you get the best of both worlds - good load carrying & good brakes.

When you get back you can run those other tyres around town or locally till they need replacing.

Enjoy the trip went up there in '89.

Cheers

AnswerID: 419689

Sponsored Links