Damper.....?????

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 18:24
ThreadID: 7913 Views:2229 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
OK guys and gals,

We're off for 5 days over the cup weekend and I'd like to impress my fellow travellers with a you beut, bleep e hot, mouth watering damper.

Has anyone got a recipe for me, and any associated tips as to what it takes succeed in this litlle project.

PS: we have a good size dutch oven!

Thanks in advance, Dean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: soldierboy - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:11

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 20:11
hi dean.
i just typed damper into search above heaps there.
ps damper and dutch ovens not sure i would still be hungry.
lollove you long time lol
AnswerID: 34290

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 06:59

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 06:59
Dean we have tryed just about everthing the damper . What i do is about half bag self raising flouer 4 table spoons of sugar table spoon of butter milk and water you can add any fancy stuff now bacon,cheese etc etc etc kneed together but dont over work it to much not to dry and not to runny. Them sprinkle the bottom of the camp oven with flouer and put the mix in.I find the secret is cook it slow I put the oven on the dirt then put some hot coels around it and on it . Then let it do its thing .You can add more coles it can take from 3/4 to hour but who cares your on holidays .
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 34323

Reply By: greenant - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:33

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:33
Why damper go for bread there is plenty of bread mixes on the super market shelves but make sure it has yeast with it or it can be bought seperately

Greenant
AnswerID: 34334

Reply By: ray91 - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:15

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:15
Try a box of scone mix , same thing as damper ,mix with water works great in dutch oven in camp fire.
AnswerID: 34335

Reply By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:51

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 19:51
Hi Dean,
Better late than never. There are apparently lots of recipes around, many exotic and many very plain. We were wondering what to do and decided to use ourrecipe for pancakes but with less milk. The proportions are:

1 cup SR flour
1 egg
pinch salt
milk to make stiff dough

Obviously, you can make any multiple of this

I have a little stand that keeps the damper off the bottom of the oven, so it is beautiful all over - don't subscribe to the charred bottom idea. I also put an alfoil liner in, and then the dough (pressed fairly round and flat) on top. Number of coals and time is trial and error/experience - too little and it takes too long, too much and it looks good on the outside but is doughy in the middle. I manage to get mine golden every time (eventually) and people like it!

Hope you find something that works for you.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 34751

Sponsored Links