Shady Camp

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 13:51
ThreadID: 79172 Views:3447 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Has anyone on the forum been into Shady Camp in the last couple of weeks?

We are about to leave Darwin at the end of the week doing the Kaka loop to Katherine and want to check out the Crocs at Shady.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 22:41

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 22:41
Not in the last few weeks, last August actually but on a high tide at night on the causeway it is awsome. No zoo could ever come close. There must have been 80+ crocs there the night I was there.
Mozzies were feral tho.
Tim
AnswerID: 420106

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 08:08

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 08:08
Yep, as Tim has said, take a high powered light and look at the red eyes that are looking at you, then remember you are only seeing those crocks looking in your direction, not those looking away from you so double the number you see and you will have a realistic number that are there.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 690305

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:31
Watched the latest Gall boys DVD recently and as usual they stopped in at Shady Camp. When they got there there was an Austrian (I think) knee deep in the water fishing. the boys shone their torch and a pretty big croc looked to be only about 3m from him. The area was a sea of red eyes. Lucky the guy didn't end up as croc tea or barra burly.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420131

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 16:20

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 16:20
We were there last June/July and although we don't fish enjoyed wandering around and chatting to people at the causeway. There were a few crocs lazing around quite close by. A lady who was a regular suggested we come down after dark and shine a torch around.

We covered ourselves up against the mozzies and every flying thing known to man and headed to the causeway. It was the most amazing sight - all those pairs of eyes! It was a very dark night and I felt quite disorientated and began to wonder "What's behind me!" We turned tail and returned to our camp very smartly.

It was incredibly hot and humid.

Min
AnswerID: 420170

Reply By: boxxy51 - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:17

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:17
Was up there about 4 weeks ago and travelled the river down to the mouth to fish. There were huge crocs everywhere,in fact I beleive bigger than the ones they have at the crocosauras in Darwin itself.Took a mate from Brissie who had never been to the NT before and he was amazed at the numbers we saw within close proximity of the overflow/boat ramp.

The week we went there was a feature in the NT News of a huger croc lurking at the boat ramp while people were having a swim on the rock wall and while we were there he was very active, I was not impressed the son in law had me hold the boat while he got the car believe me !!
AnswerID: 420257

Reply By: tonysmc - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:51

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:51
Hi Dremus,

Just wondering if you have a boat? You will see alot more in a boat. The place itself is not very impressive as there is not many trees as the name suggests. Upstream in the fresh water you can go any time. Downstream make sure you time it right with the tides as you can easily get struck there for hours. You are best off launching just as the tide is coming in and head back to the ramp as soon as you notice the tide change. First thing in the morning is also the best time as all the crocs are up on the bank. Just amazing the amount of crocs.
Some of these taken at Shady camp.
http://tools.ntnews.com.au/photos/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=1065
Add about 4 hours to Darwin tide times for high tide at barrage.
Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 420268

Follow Up By: Dremus - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:30
Yeah, no boat this time. I have seen the crazy amount of crocs up there on dvds and the crazy fishermen standing and even lying in the water fishing!

I will have a bit of a fish, but well back from the water I think :)

I have seen the Kedron boys DVD where they get caught out in the tinnies with no water and have to wait for the tide to come back in''''BUGGER THAT!!!

Should be good for some nice photos anyway
FollowupID: 690831

Sponsored Links