4WD care

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 08:03
ThreadID: 7918 Views:1240 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Recently returned from a trip up to Rainbow beach and surrounding areas.
What sort of underbody protection do other people use in regards to salt/beach 4WDing? Also what cleaning methods are used once at home.
I normally jack the rear up and flush out the rails and use a high pressure hose to clean the under carrage.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:31

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:31
Troy I do the same but dont jack her up . I was told not to use to high a pressure more the fan spray on the Gerni because it pushess the muck further in . I think that makes sence.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 34333

Follow Up By: troy - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:24

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:24
why dont u jack it up?
i dont use a gerni just got really good water pressure and a good nozzle
FollowupID: 24826

Reply By: stevesub - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 13:06

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 13:06
We have had our Troopy fully rust proofed, both the chassis and body. After a beach run, we use a water blaster everywhere and hose out the chassis rails. Takes a while which is why I don't like driving on beaches, the cleaning is a pain but has to be done if you want to keep the vehicle.
AnswerID: 34342

Reply By: chopper - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 14:17

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 14:17
I have, just recently, started driving the opposite wheels, front to back, up onto car ramps, this puts the wheels down a fair way and allows me to get right into the wheel arches, also raises the whole vehicle by a bit, when I've done two wheels, I reverse off the ramps, change them over and do the other two.

I also run the travelling sprinkler under the truck for a couple of runs and hose out the rails. (very basic sprinkler restrictions).

This is on top of a full rust proofing and a yearly check up.

I have found panels to be far more of a problem than the underbody anyway.
AnswerID: 34347

Reply By: Glenno - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:09

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 17:09
Park the car on the lawn and leave the sprinker on underneath. Move it around every 15-20mins. I find that simply using a hose doesnt get rid of everything. The sprinker give the car a real soak underneath and hopefully flushes out all of the salt.

Cheers,

Glenno.
AnswerID: 34357

Follow Up By: troy - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:20

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 16:20
thanks for all the replies
we went inland first and because of all the rain there where a few muddy section so i had a bit of fun getting through there.(got to keep the kids happy) This also put a far amount of mud underneath which may or may not help keep the salt off the car.

I also have had the 4WD rust proofed (inside and out) when i first bought it but had to take it back to them 3 times as they had missed areas. Major pain in the butt - never been back. Now because of hitting the beach twice i want to rust proof it again any suggestion? Self or so called professionals
I live in brissy (south side)
troy
FollowupID: 24825

Sponsored Links