8 seater troopy

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:39
ThreadID: 79189 Views:6657 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

My husband is keen to keep a 4wd but we have 3 kids with hopefully one more not too far away. At the moment we have a 2008 prado but are finding that too cramped. What we would really like would be an 8 seater troopy. I have seen these advertised on sites for mine use. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy these for personal use from Toyota or do we need to get one modified. If we do get one modified does anyone know what seats will fit into the back? I am thinking that we would have the front row seats and then in the back 2 seats then 3 with a rear door conversion that I know can be done. We would also need 4 anchor points for the kids seats in the back. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! We do not want an ex mine vechicle. I know the troopy is pretty bare bones compared to the prado but we want a 4wd that will grow with the family. Or would a new 4wd with the 3rd row seats that fold into the floor be a better option? Can these seats take anchor points? Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:04
A troopie would tick the boxes for you and yes they can be converted to 8 seats with belts.
Side door conversions look like this:EO Blog

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420135

Follow Up By: overworked - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 13:02

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 13:02
Thanks. That looks wicked! Definately get hubby to look into it but we are in country WA. Does anyone know if the third door conversion can be done over here??
FollowupID: 690328

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 13:32

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 13:32
There is a mob that convert all the mine troopies in wa to 8 forward facing seats with belts and a side door.

link to some converted cruisers

Maybe call the hire mob and find out who does them.

or this bloke, if he doesn't do it he may know who will.

Laingley conversions WA

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 690332

Reply By: Honky - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:27

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:27
Always worth while to look at a Mitusbishi delica?
The latter the better.

http://www.delicaclub.com/

Honky
AnswerID: 420143

Follow Up By: overworked - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:53

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:53
Husband is adament that he doesn't want a delica. It would make life easier if he did!!!
FollowupID: 690325

Reply By: CJ - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:27

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:27
Hi

It would be worth looking into the recent road rule changes regarding children and child seats. I recall they have to be in forward facing seats, among other restraint requirements. Make sure the vehicle that you get complies or find out the cost to make it comply

CJ
AnswerID: 420148

Reply By: chisel - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:57

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:57
Thought about a 200 series? A new-ish troop carrier with 3 door and bench-seat conversion is going to run up to similar dollars, I would think.

A 200 wouldn't have quite the same space inside but I guess you might need a trailer even with the troopy if you have 4 kids.
AnswerID: 420150

Reply By: Ical - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 13:30

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 13:30
What about a good 100 series or such with the seats folder down?
everyone gets some space.
And have a good/well set up camper trailer.
Maybe easier??

Cheers Ian.
AnswerID: 420151

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 23:16

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 23:16
With a standard troopie aside from the child restraint issues the other issues would be tripping over the groceries or luggage to get to the kids and vice versa, that's why we sold our troopie after we had the first kid and we moved onto an 80 series. We entertained buying an ex miner at the time, didn't really consider a conversion for some reason (we were in Perth but moving to the NT) but I think like you in the end we weren't that keen on an ex mine vehicle I think.

We only ended up with two kids so the foldable seats in the 80 were ripped out in favour of a draw system and fridge so I can't tell you how well they might have worked.

The thing is as much as you can be sure that this is going to be "the car" and it's safe to sink all your money into it because you will keep it for Xyz years, well ideas do change.
I would seriously weigh up the cost of converting a troopie and then take into account that it still won't appreciate much value due to the converion, and good luck trying to get it insured for the full value you believe it's now worth. This vs spending the money as suggested on a 100 series or 200 series and at least having a standard car which shouldn't give you any problems should you decided to move interstate etc. and will depreciate as normal.

For example if you move to NSW you might find because Troopies have all the extra seats they're considered commercial vehicles or something silly and your rego is a lot dearer than any other 4x4 or standard family vehicle. That's just an example.
Not to mention the expense of engineering certificates should you move states because the one from WA won't necessarily be accepted by NSW or QLD authorities and vice versa.

My point is do your research well and check out all the legalities first, throw in some "what if's" like moving states if you think it's a possibility, or otherwise consider the insurance and resale value.

I would tend to agree with a few previous posts, you would most likely end up towing a trailer anyway so you might as well go for the 100 or 200 as you're basically looking for an extra seat and a bit more room.

We're down south WA but have had a few engine conversions done and lived in a few different states before finally settling here.
AnswerID: 420229

Follow Up By: overworked - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 19:50

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 19:50
Cheers for this. A lot of ideas to consider. Just throwing some ideas out at the moment and after talking about it it looks like we may just end up going the standard 100 or 200 series....just have to find out about child restraints now...see whether it is possible to put these things in the third row of 4WD's....otherwise may have to seriously nag the hubby into a people mover...much to his disgust...DEAD against it!
FollowupID: 690515

Sponsored Links