Colorado / Dmax

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 18:36
ThreadID: 79275 Views:3699 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, one for the tech nuts...
Aside from badges and front end panels, what is the difference between the dmax and colorado?
I am looking at buying one or the other but I am starting to see a few for sale with only 5000 - 12000kms on the clock. Are there issues with the vehicles to worry about or is it just a coincedence??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 19:10

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 19:10
From what I have read the Dmax would be my choice. Both vehicles have aweful safety ratings. I would be driving all vehicles either brand and go with your gut feeling on the vehicle and deal being offered.
AnswerID: 420556

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 07:36

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 07:36
Hi,

This is my take on the differences, if anyone has any hard data to the contrary please feel free to correct me.

The D-Max has the 4JJ1 motor, i believe the Colorado has the previous version engine with slightly less power/torque output.
The Colorado's for some reason had after market clutches put in them as opposed to the Isuzu clutches and this caused problems, although i heard somewhere this has since been changed.
The bonnet scoop on the Colorado is an add-on, but integrated on the D-Max. So what? Well i suspect that is a hint as to the fact that the Colorado's, as distributed in the States weren't meant to have the Diesel engine in them but when Isuzu cancelled the contract with Holden to supply Rodeo's, Holden "purchased" Colorado's from the States, Had the Diesel engines fitted and started selling them here.

No the safety figures aren't that flash, but then few of the similar vehicles out there are any better.

The only problem i have had with my D-Max after 45,000 k's including a 10,000k trip west over Xmas was the diesel fuel regulator was faulty almost from new. That was replaced under warranty and hasn't been an issue since.

I have done a lot of work on it including tougher suspension which has stiffened it up but although i suffer from a dodgy back, i find it to be the most comfortable car i have owned, including my previous Impreza which gave me back ache 5 minutes after getting into it every day.

At the end of the day, they are designed as a work truck and the interior reflects that, it is simple yet functional. Ok, it has some rattles in the cab, the interior is a bit plasticy, but i love my D-Max and wouldn't swap it for the world. It goes everywhere i want it to and that's all i need. Even my city born and bred partner loves it.

As for the above info, like i said if anyone can correct me on that, please do, info was gleaned from various sources, some of which i couldn't verify and no, i am not a dealer and have no affiliation with Isuzu or any of its subsidiary's
AnswerID: 420593

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:37

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:37
Your pretty close, the main differences are cosmetic and that the Colorado is more expensive for the same package but offers less.

Holden discounts more of their RRP then Dmax making them about the same if you haggle.
FollowupID: 690815

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 22:00

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 22:00
hi hotfishez
they both have identical engine and power train running gear
the differences are only cosmetic this topic has been discussed on here at least 4 times
certain people keep saying they have different motors but its salesmans
misleading the buyers as usual get a brochure from each source and you'll find the exact same specy's for each and same there's talk that they will eventually have different motors but not yet
cheers
AnswerID: 420693

Sponsored Links