Lake Tinaroo on a Long Weekend

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:02
ThreadID: 79297 Views:3852 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
When we were planning this trip to QLD one of the essential places on our list was Lake Tinaroo. All the photos I’ve seen show a single van on a great expanse of grass with a huge lake in front of it. Of course the lake is devoid of any activity and looks peaceful and serene.

Also, while on this trip we hardly look at our watches let alone a calendar, even far less do we bother to find out if there is a long weekend involved.

So imagine our faces when we turned up at Lake Tinaroo yesterday (Saturday of the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend over here).

Each campsite was a mini city with tents (mainly), camper trailers and the odd caravan occupying every square inch of available grass. Now that’s OK, after all it is a long weekend. So we eventually found a few spare square metres of grass at Fong-On Campsite and set up. Every other campsite on the way around was just as chockers.

But it soon became apparent that the predominant attendee this weekend were the CUBs.

CASHED UP BOGANS.

Young men with their green P plates, their attending trollops and their utes of every description, their wake board boats with all sound suppression removed from the V8 engines, a bank of at least 4 speakers bolted to the wakeboard tower so they can project their (c)rap music up and down the full length of the lake and into the ears of everyone on the banks, their jet skis lined up in rows, like their girls.

Of course each of the utes had to have a sound system capable of breaking eardrums.

The obligatory massive fire was ignited with some spare petrol and then they started what they came to do: drink as much as humanly possible in every waking moment. With this comes the language at full volume. Every second word started with F and every third word started with C. And that was just the girls.

As the night progressed they got louder and louder trying to outdo each other in every way. The girls had to go back and forth to the toilets, so they drove their car each time. As the grass got wetter with dew the tyres lost their grip so let’s rev the hell out of the motor. The blokes in their utes going back and forth to get more logs for the fire got closer and closer to some tents with babies in them while revving the crap out of their cars, with 6 or more drunks up on the tray.

We left this morning. One night was enough.

I sometimes wonder how Australia would go if we had to go to a major war. I look at these trumped up louts, full of bleep and wind, and think: how would they deal with a determined enemy?

I have come to the conclusion that we will surrender. There’s no viable alternative. Dads’ Army (everyone over 45) will hold out for a little while, watching these “dudes” wet their pants, but then it will be all over.

Might as well start reading the Koran now.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:53

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:53
G/Day GB

I know what you mean, the Cook and I have just got closer to civilization on our return from the NT, we to forgot about the Long Weekend, every camp site within 200ks from the East Coast is packed out, and as you said there are a lot of Morons with zero Brains and Manners around, we noticed the decline in their Sub Human Behaviour at Sommerset Dam, on Friday, we decided to go home rather than put up with it, we didn't have far to travel,

PS, There are still some nice young folk around.

Cheers
AnswerID: 420627

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:56

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:56
Don't give up on the younguns yet GB. Sure there are the bogun crowd but there are equally as many level headed kids around too. It is just that they don't get "out there" in your face as much. It is dissapointing to witnes the noisy/ rowdy mobs when you come across them but if you become involved in sports or dancing(tap/ballet) as my grandchildren have you get to see the good ones as well. You may have to adopt some grand kids though, LOL. It makes you wonder how deaf these boguns will be in 20 years time after the constant loud noise they listen to though. Hope your travels resume more sanely. Bob.

AnswerID: 420628

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 13:01

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 13:01
Hi Gone Bush,

I really do sympathise with you. We were there, at Downfall Creek campground, over a normal 2 day weekend about a month ago, for 4 or 5 nights in all and on the weekend the camp grounds changed from quiet, almost deserted beautiful places to noisy and busy by comparison but we didnt experience anything like you have described. There was a lot of noise on the water though - mostly ski boats, jet skiis and loud 'music' - and we were warned off Fong on Bay as it is frequented by the local young water skiiers who go there to party all weekend. (As you are no all to aware!) We heard the noise of 'music' across the water from our camp ground and Fong appeared to only have a few campers from our vantage point.

By the Sunday afternoon it was just three or four vans and the sounds of birdcalls again. Maybe you can go back tomorrow afternoon if you are game!

We moved on as there werent any fish being caught or redclaw to be trapped.

Hope you manage to find some more tranquil places in this lovely state.
We stayed at Rocky creek memorial for a few days while we were on the Atherton - on the highway north of Tolga and south of Mareeba, but not overly noisy, has flushing toilets and a gold coin donation - 72 hr max stay, enforced by a caretaker. Its a good place to check out the area.

Check out Granite Gorge Nature Park too near Mareeba - not cheap at $28 per night but a nice place to stay, campfires permitted, wildlife and walks, toliets and showers, powered sites etc. and out of town.

Cheers,
Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 420630

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 14:47

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 14:47
Just south of Mareeba township, head east approx 13.5km along the Kennedy Highway and you will find Davies Creek NP. Quite pleasant.
The outback calls

AnswerID: 420638

Reply By: sweetwill - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 16:30

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 16:30
gone bush.
in defence of the kids they are just that kids, all out to have a good time, if you were to scratch the surface you would find the majority hard working responsible and the future leaders of this wonderful place we call Australia cheers for now bill.
AnswerID: 420646

Reply By: montana - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:18

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:18
so nothing has changed since i was there 20 years ago.
AnswerID: 420688

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 23:27

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 23:27
Who goes camping on long weekends??????

Gave up on that idea about 20 years ago. Just too much of what I want to get away from.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 420706

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 18:38
Sorry to hear you made the mistake of going to one of the best ski spots in NQ on the Queens Birthday Weekend.
You should have read the posts about Fong On bay a couple of weeks back advising just not to do that.
As for the kids of today. They are far more civilised & polite when drunk than they were 30 years ago.
I should know. I was one & for the last 25 I have been driving them home safely in my taxi. So I have definately seen the change.
As for the foul mouths. They have not got any worse in that time.

This is a different subject, but I wonder when I am going to go through RE-PURIFICATION like so many others do.
From what I see it seems that after about 45 you start the process where your sins of the past are forgiven & wiped from your record.
You know what I mean.
I mean, I reckon some people are into it that much they are about to get their virginity back.
I haven't gone any where near that yet. I have these impressions in my head of my youth that just won't go away like it does with so many other people.

By the way Gone Bush. You can chuck off at young fellas but you should not refer to young women as TROLLOPS. It shows a great disrespect for your daughters & daughter in laws & grand daughters. Because I can tell you mate, after 25 years of driving people home drunk, they all behave like that at some stage. Even your wife & mine.
AnswerID: 421091

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:06
Yours maybe, not mine.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691367

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 20:23
Gone Bush - Unfortunately its the way the world is going and I agree with you mostly. Mate you should have contacted me and I would have sent you to a paradise for the weekend and you would have caught a barra :-)

I do not agree with you Fatso - with modesty and moderation being chucked out the window there is a larger percentage of loutish behavior these days.

Take a look at the net, or I suggest you don't because it is no holes bared now

Better take the blinkers off :-)
FollowupID: 691372

Follow Up By: Fatso - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 21:03

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 21:03
Sounds to me like you blokes have already gone through the repurification process.
FollowupID: 691974

Sponsored Links