Signs

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 19:14
ThreadID: 79311 Views:3279 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody recon that we have too many signs? Not just road signs but visual polution???????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 19:45

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 19:45
Hi Ray,
I,m with you, signs, signs everywhere are signs.
Especially irritating are the reflective road signs, even on low beam at night they reflect back and blind you.
And there never seems to be just the one but a few together.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 420673

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:57

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:57
G'day everyone

There are signs to direct you and there are signs to help you and then there are signs that defy logic.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Only in the Pilbara !!!
FollowupID: 690863

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:15

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:15
G'day Ray,
I know what you mean.
Besides the main signs pointing you in the right direction along the road network, there are speed zone signs that change every kilometer or so, there are street name signs, suburb signs, information signs, warning signs, Cautionary signs, Speed cameras used in this area, no stopping/parking turning left/right, no queuing, no U turns, take care when turning left , Hospital this way, Information centre 2km's ahead, And this is on one post.Yep, know exactly what you mean.

AnswerID: 420676

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 22:39

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 22:39
What about "DIP" or "WINDING ROAD NEXT 7 KILOMETERS" or "CAUTION DIRT ROAD" or "UNDULATING SURFACE".

These signs nobody can tell me anything about why they are used.........I always thought it was obvious if the road dropped down it may be a dip and if I was driving around a lot of corners it may well be windy.

Are they there for the people who don't want to drive on a road with a dip in it or perhaps they can only drive straight?
FollowupID: 690872

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 04:55

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 04:55
Morning olcoolone,
Maybe they are the same people the because the is not an advisory speed sign for upcoming corner, they slow down to about 60, even tho you can see all the way to the next cnr. They are the same people that then speed back up to 100 quickly then slow down for the next un-sign posted corner.
Also, in country areas around us, there are the school bus sign with the child next to the bus, you know the yellow and black silhouette one, why is there sometimes the adult woman holding hands with the child and other signs with just a single child., no adult, Does this mean that their are no mothers or parents in the area? Hmmm.

FollowupID: 690897

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:38

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:38
I get those ones which say stop.

Well after 10 min there are lot of angry people.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 420682

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:02

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:02
And the signs in Caravan parks. No Running, No Smoking ,No bicycles, No noise,No this. No that, the list goes on. It seems the more of these signs there are in a park, the worse the park is. Just my thoughts anyway. Heading off at sparra's on Tuesday morning to spend a couple of the Winter months fishing and relaxing in warmer climes. In addition, we became GREAT grandparents yesterday. Now I really must be an old fart!!Cheers all. Back in September.

Roger B.....
AnswerID: 420686

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:10

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 21:10
Hi Roger,
Never looked at it that way, you might be on to something there LOL
I must take note next time we stay in a park.
Hope all is well with your addition to you clan, Congrats and enjoy your warmer weather.
:)

FollowupID: 690854

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 00:12

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 00:12
Roger

Now you will be able to put a Sign in your Car

"BABY ON BOARD".

Cheers and congratulations

Wayne
FollowupID: 690889

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 09:55

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 09:55
Hi all,
Interesting topic. There was an item on the telly last night on this same topic.

The comments by some authoritative personage was that there are too many signs these days and we are overloaded with this visual information as we travel down the road. I find that as there are so many signs I miss half of the important ones due to my screening out, or just ignoring, most of the signs.

The one thing that gets me is that there are insufficient speed signs, especially where the posted speed limit varies frequently. Most of the signs should be done away with, except the speed signs which in fact should be increased in number so that there is a reminder every 1 kilometre.

Just my opinion as there is a tendency to over police, revenue raise, in these specific areas. I my area there are speed limits from 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 100 and all within less than a kilometre radius.

Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 690923

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:55

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 03:55
Never see a sign warning of a radar camera ahead, allways after your've passed one.

Definitly not about the $$$s, is it....hahaha.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 420710

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:08

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:08
Morning Lionel,
Along the Pacific H/way between the Qld boarder and Grafton there a couple.
What amazes me is the drivers speed in between the cameras.
They will sit on 110K's, tailgate and the likes, then there is a sign, "Speed camera Ahead" and they all slow down to 80k's.
It's laughable. as soon as they pass the camera, down goes the foot and they're off speeding again. yet I've traveled enough times through them a 100k's and never received a fine.
And what a wast of a sign the "keep left unless over taking' is. I've even seen H/way Patrols sit in the right hand lane for the entire length of the overtaking lane with overtaking anyone.

If every you come over this way, you're warned about the placement of Fixed speed cameras, yet idiots still get pinged for speeding.

:)

FollowupID: 690898

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:07

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:07
We have one where I used to live that says 60 AHEAD.

The 60 zone is around the corner but all the dipsticks slow down at the advisory sign.

Used to drive me mad when trying to keep to a timetable.

AnswerID: 420736

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:47

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:47
Over the next decade or so, I reckon we will all carry GPS/transponders.
The signs will be less important as the information will be fed directly to you.... warnings, speed limits, road conditions etc.

Maybe 'spoken' information or even projected onto the windscreen or a variety of both.

About then we will be microchipped with our credit card etc under the skin on the back of our hand...

Maybe hands-free driving even..
AnswerID: 420743

Reply By: Member - Mark R (SA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:19

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 19:19
You may be interested in this link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/2185762/German-town-bans-road-signs-to-cut-accidents.html

I believe the idea has already been trialled in the Netherlands (with a degree of success)...
AnswerID: 420802

Sponsored Links