can I throw away the Manual and drop an auto in?

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 23:26
ThreadID: 7936 Views:1620 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Yep Im really over changing gears all the time in the 100 series.. bloody clunky gear box and the shuddering and the clutch problems!

So.. Can anybody tell me will the auto out a 100 series drop in (so to speak) place of the manual .. as simple as that? because im really thinking about it....(i know ill need to modify the console).

Im sure the cruisers came out with the wiring looms for every interchangable option (lexus sahara) bits that fit each other so my mind tells me that I can!

I can get a auto box at a great price .. but will it just sort of slip in (within 2 hrs) yeah ? na?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:01

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:01
MMMMM
Presuming it is 4.5 petrol
No
Havnt done a manual to auto, but can give you some differences i know of. Auto is longer by 60 or so mm, crossmember is that far further back, tailshafts are also shorter/longer, wiring harness is different, dont know if auto harness clips in underneath or not (presume it does) but the computer running it is in the motor ecu, so one of those is needed, and possibly a wiring difference in these ecu plugs.
100 series uses different plugs on auto to earlier autos in 80
Would be easier to buy auto /swap good bits and sell manual
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 34420

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:06

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:06
You will be better off selling it and buying an auto!

The major differences are the wiring harnesses, the engine ECU, the addition of a auto-box ECU and the mechanical changes needed for the shafts and diff-ratios.

The harnesses are NOT interchangable between auto and manual, but they are interchangable with the options between the models. Also, they are numbered cables, not colour-coded, this is due to the fact that the harnesses are made entirely by machine and not hand-made like the Nissans are.

AnswerID: 34440

Reply By: Rhubarb - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:22

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:22
Cheapest and easiest option?

Sell your manual then buy an auto.
AnswerID: 34443

Sponsored Links