Oztent Warranty

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 16:51
ThreadID: 79375 Views:5561 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all , we went camping in Cooktown for the Discovery festival weekend as we do most years and took our Oztent which we bought in November and have used twice before . During the Saturday night we were awoken by the awning flapping and got up to find the awning had torn away from the tent for about 200mm and the plastic corner piece in the same corner had snapped . Now obviously this damage was caused by a gust of wind . Today I rang Oztent and was told that wind damage was not covered by warranty . Having checked my warranty it only says storm damage , misuse and normal wear is not covered . I am taking it back and hope for a good result as we bought it specifically for our Cape York trip in September which we haven't even done yet . There were no storms in Cooktown that night so we should be covered I hope . We have been very happy with the tent , even when it broke I thought , " No worries , warranty will cover this for sure" . Now after being told by them wind damage is not covered I feel like I spent my $1200 on the wrong tent . The other tent near us was a dome tent which suffered no damage at all .Has anybody else had a claim rejected by Oztent for something similar ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 17:43
Warranty doesnt cover wind damage , thats what insurance is for . On a better note i see on there website they have spare parts . They seem to be very helpful so if it was myself i would ask them how much to freigt it to them and fix it up .
AnswerID: 420924

Follow Up By: kevanancy - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:21
Hi Atta Boy , just wondering where you read that it's not covered as the only copy of warranty I have does not mention wind at all , it does however say storm damage is not covered but there were no storms there that weekend .
Cheers Kev
FollowupID: 691139

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:21

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:21
A mate has found Oztrail very helpful - after I recommended Oztrail swags (we have two) to him he went and purchased one. The first night he set it up one of the furrells (?) split on the poles - a phone call to Oztrail and he had a full set of the newer designs sent to him at no cost.

They seem to be a pretty good customer orientated company.

Tim
AnswerID: 421024

Follow Up By: Dazmit - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:17

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:17
Do OzTrail own Oz Tent now ???

cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
FollowupID: 691255

Follow Up By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:23

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:23
Ooopps - my bad!!! Sorry should have read original post more CAREFULLY - not Oz Tent related!!!!

Sorry!
FollowupID: 691258

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:52

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:52
Sounds like you were unlucky, I've had the same thing happen but the tent has held together, I've had pegs pulled out of the ground. Take it back and plead your case, worse comes to worse can you get it repaired or are the tares too bad.? You didn't buy the wrong tent you only have to listen to the hundreds of happy customers sing the praises of Oztent in these forums. All tent companies must have a warranty policy which protects them from wind or storm damage, think about it..
AnswerID: 421031

Reply By: Member - Salt grinder - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 00:14

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 00:14
I have been an advocate of OzTent for years . . . . I bought one of the original ones (made in Oz then) and it's still going. They have fixed a couple of things for me FOC, one my mistake and one theirs, both well out of the warranty period.

Plead your case and mention this good wrap on ExplOz & I'm sure they'll help . . . . you might have to pay the freight. If freight costs are a problem check for repairs with a local sail maker/canopy maker.

Best of luck & happier camping.
I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421486

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 00:17

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 00:17
PS: I was at the Cook Festival also but camped on a mates property.

Chz.
I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 691864

Reply By: kevanancy - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 17:02

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 17:02
Glad to hear positive feedback . I am still pretty confident it will be sorted out under warranty , was just a little concerned after speaking to the lady on the phone who said that she had been told to say any damage form wind was not covered , which shook my confidence . Really it was a typical Queens birthday weekend in Cooktown , the wind was how it always is . It's a windy place , I go each year and it was not out of the ordinary .
Thanks for the replies , will let you know the outcome when they get back to me .
Cheers
Kev
AnswerID: 421755

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 17:43
As unfortunate as this seems, I can’t help but feel you might not get the outcome you are looking for. Warranty will usually only cover faulty manufacture, not damage caused by something outside of the manufacturer’s control. Perhaps there was a fault that was stressed by the wind.

Good luck either way.......

Cheers, The Landy

AnswerID: 421760

Reply By: oztent - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:23

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:23
As unfortunate as this seems, I can’t help but feel you might not get the outcome you are looking for. Warranty will usually only cover faulty manufacture, not damage caused by something outside of the manufacturer’s control. Perhaps there was a fault that was stressed by the wind.

Good luck either way.......

Cheers, The Landy

Hi kevanancy

Please feel free to ask away

Unfortunatly this is true, any wind or storm damage is not covered under warrenty, this is also the case with any other tent manufacturer. Unfortunatly wind has the abilty to ruin houses not to mention its distructive forces on tents.

regards
Oztent
AnswerID: 422773

Sponsored Links