Gas Cylinder storage

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:26
ThreadID: 79381 Views:4200 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Am not sure what the go is on storing gas bottles. Not sure if there's a Law throughout the land about carrying it/them inside the cabin or outside. I've heard they should be outside because of leakages. But wouldn't it be obvious with the smell that you would fix the problem before it overcame the occupants ?

I've then heard it's o/k for them inside if they are near interior vents. That's got me wondering because as far as I can see the vents in the back of the carjust empty into the cavity between the exterion metal and the interior lining ?

Then I've heard that late model cars with all the "electronics" can set off a leaking cylinder to produce an explosion ?

I had planned on storing it in a drawer in the back section with other cooking gear. The Pajero has the ruddy spare in the middle of the back door preventing a hoder from being there. My roof rack/shelf is totalled already.

I guess I can put some roof rack stuff in the drawers and the gas on top, but it means configuring it all which is a bit of a pain. But I don't want to blow us up either ? Comments please. Thanks Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:34

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:34
The problem with LPG type gases is they are heavier them air and once in haled it sinks to the bottom of you lungs and you know the rest.

In most cases you would not notice the smell unless it was a big leak until to late.

Remember those two children who died a few weeks age from a faulty gas appliance......the children nor the mother picked up on it until it was to late.

AnswerID: 420933

Reply By: Rob! - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:49

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:49
About a year ago when I went to refill my small gas bottle at the local camping store they said I needed this plastic screw on cap with a built in seal if I wanted to carry it in the car. New rules they said. It cost $1. Cheap insurance.
AnswerID: 420938

Follow Up By: Rob! - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:56

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 18:56
Screw plugs in cylinder outlets QLD
FollowupID: 691151

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:35

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:35
Swap and Go in Longreach now have a yellow screw in plug on every bottle ,
FollowupID: 691584

Reply By: rags - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:31

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:31
Greg
A friend and plumbing colleague is no longer here as a result of a leaking gas bottle inside a van exploding[mid 90s].The van exploded the next morning when he went to open it. He was unaware of the problem so could not fix it.
My response when i see this question raised is always the same answer "put the bottle outside" on the rack unless they are in an approved sealed compartment with appropriate ventilation.
Russ
AnswerID: 420977

Follow Up By: rags - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:08
I should say if we only talking transporting the bbq bottle from the servo refill then maybe you would carry it in the car but i'm mainly referring to touring around the country side or as part of your trade set up that the bottle belongs outside
FollowupID: 691200

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:53
If it's a 9 kilo cylinder, they fit really well inside a milk crate. Just reconfigure the roof rack stuff to fit a milk crate.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 420984

Follow Up By: Pushy - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:32
Just be careful of you put a gas bottle in a plastic crate as it is not earthed.
If it is then out in the wind during the day it can build up a static charge.
This can be dangerous if you get a spark when there is gas about.

Also it is dangerous to carry the bottle inside the car because you may not smell a small leak and as the gas is heavier than air it sits in the lows spots just waiting for a spark.
FollowupID: 691249

Reply By: Member - Warren R- Karratha - Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 21:21

Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 at 21:21
G'day Greg.

I wouldn't even consider putting it inside. I've seen the result of a couple of car explosions caused by leaking LPG cylinders, it is absolutely unbelievable...basically just a chassis left. A plumbers van in NSW (perhaps the one rags mentioned) was demolished by a small 0.5 kg hand held cylinder that leaked overnight. Sadly the poor guy was killed.
AnswerID: 421248

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:05

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 18:05
When I last got gas refills in QLD the seller told me it was illegal to carry gas bottles INSIDE a vehicle even to take the home.

A bit over the top I know and very hard to avoid in a Cruiser or similar.

In all campervans and caravans they have to be in a sealed container vented at the bottom to the outside. The vent in my van points rearwards and there is a distance that it must be from exhausts etc.

AnswerID: 421338

Sponsored Links