Supercharge All-Rounder batteries- what charger settings do you use?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:30
ThreadID: 79443 Views:21840 Replies:8 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
i was wondering what settings you use to charge a Supercharge Allrounder. i have a 105amp hr sucker and an Electro 10 Amp 3 stage charger. The guy at battery world suggested i set it to "Calcium" and float it @ 13.8v.
The battery dropped a cell and was replaced under warranty. He then told me to set the charger to "Wet". I dont have a lot of faith in the advice given by him unfortunately.
Perhaps calcium is the correct setting and the battery was faulty, or calcium setting is too high of a voltage (around 15-16v i think) and it cooked it.

what are other people doing with these batteries?

And those who are familiar with the Electro brand chargers- what do you think of them?

Thanks in advance to those who can help.

Fugwurgin!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:50

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:50
Fugwurgin!

The Supercharge All-Rounder battery is a 12V Expanded Calcium Grid battery so should be charged, as advised, on the calcium setting.

However a quick G00GLE search may bring up other interesting information for you that's probably not relevant to your initial question.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 421298

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:58

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:58
Thanks Mainey

I couldnt find any info on the supercharge website or on the battery itself as to what setting to use.
The advice i had got from battery world was calcium, but when it dropped a cell was told wet. thats why i needed to get clarification. So thank you for letting me know. will put it on calcium tonight.

Im not sure google is that helpful sometimes, thanks tho!
FollowupID: 691625

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:13

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:13
Hello fugwurgin,

rule of thumb for all flooded type lead acid batteries:
(I hope you've got a voltmeter)

14.4V boost charge
13.6V float charge

Once in a while you can apply an equalisation charge at a setting of 15.5V at the end of the boost charge.

All voltages pertain to a battery temperature of 20~25 °C and should be adjusted according to -3.6V/°C/cell

Note that only the old lead/antimony batteries did require a lower charging voltage due to their higher gassing rate.
Lead/antimony, the old stuff coming mainly out of US lead recycling plants is undesirable. Antimony in the lead is a spanner in the recycling works because it can't be used in the manufacture of the negative plates, thus some ends up as toxic landfill (or again, in their 'hybrid' technology - positive plates lead/antimony, negative lead/calcium).
Asian manufacturers don't have this problem because there is no such stockpile from past decades of affluence.
They use pure virgin lead in their modern battery factories.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Peter
FollowupID: 691631

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:26

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:26
Thanks peter for your reply.

I just didnt know what type of battery the All-Rounder is ie: Calcium, Flooded Lead etc.
I couldnt see mention of calcium anywhere on the batteries label or on the supercharge website. There seems to be a big difference in volts between the 2 settings on the charger (wet\calcium) i just needed to make sure i was using the right one.

I learnt my lesson with the calcium setting once, i left my aux battery connected to my main starting battery via the isolator in my rodeo. The isolator hadnt kicked out as i had only just finished driving when i connected the charger. the poor little starting battery was getting nearly 16v from the charger. hence a split in the side and a whole heap of missing paint in the engine bay. Ouch!
FollowupID: 691634

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:34

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:34
haya fugwurgin,

you're welcome!

too much explosives in the form of hydrogen/oxygen floating around inside and outside the poor cranker lol

cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 691636

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:02

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:02
for those interested, i got my "eye indicator" green again. very happy. Calcium setting has done the trick. thanks again to those who advised.
FollowupID: 692723

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:03

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:03
Whilst not directly answering your question, a good thread to read with some good background info would be this one:

Which charger for calcium batteries

The calcium setting (15.5v) sounds like it is the best for your battery ;)

Hope that helps

Andrew
AnswerID: 421300

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:19
Thanks Andrew

I read that thread and it is very helpful. Gives me a better understanding of how the settings work.

I just couldnt see anywhere on my All-Rounder battery (or the supercharge website) that it was a calcium type, to me it just looked like another wet sealed lead Acid battery.

But as mainey said earlier, he has identified it IS a calcium type. So between the 2 of you i now have my answer! enjoy your weekend.
FollowupID: 691632

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:24

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:24
I have had 3 of those......the first two failed at 11 months....replaced under warranty.......the 3rd went at 13 months.....dealer didnt want to know me and had also stopped selling them

just thought you might like to know :)
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421306

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:30

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:30
great, i have something to look forward to. haha.

out of interest what sort of charger did you use and what settings?

What were they used for? Mine is in the back of my rodeo permanently running a 50l fridge. So far so good, except i can not get the little eye green again! thats whats making me question my charger setting.

FollowupID: 691635

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:38

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:38
One was in a hilux as second battery..managed by a red arc system with a

the other two were in my Lamdcrusier as a second battery managed by one of Dereks ABR systems

both were protected with low voltage cut outs on the accessory side

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 691638

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:47

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:47
Thanks Bungara

I use a Sidewinder isolator in my ute too! I take it you never used another charger to top it up? just left it to alternator. I guess you must have driven it regularly then.
FollowupID: 691639

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 15:09

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 15:09
yes the battery has no excuses!
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 691650

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:19

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:19
Geez, and here I was thinking getting 3 yrs out of my Allrounder was poor form. It's now starting to have trouble starting my engine so I'm not in a huge rush to get a replacement. Might try an Exide Extreme next.
FollowupID: 691666

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:26

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:26
I would have thought 3 years out of a battery would be good.
I dont think i would be buying another one though. I cant complain with the one i have now, it runs the fridge fine, just cant get the eye from clear back to green. holds charge fine. I think i may need to put it on a manual charge at an auto electricians. but now i know to change to the calcium setting.
FollowupID: 691667

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:03

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:03
I use the Supercharge Gold and I get at least 3 years and have been using them for around 15 years. The Gold is a calcium/calcium type, what the double calcium means I don't know, but am very happy with the performance. On these batteries it says not t charge over 14.8 volts, have charged them higher but not for long periods.
FollowupID: 691676

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:36

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:36
The battery is a lead flooded battery with the plates constructed so that the top of the plates are lighter for use as a starter battery and the lower section of the plates are heavier to provide the deep cycle aspect.

I was advised that my normal "home" battery charger with a charge then maintenance cycle was best but would take a while to charge due to its lower output (only about 3 amps).

The battery is normally charged from my alternator when I drive around but at home I put it on the above charger once a week with no problems.

In the type of charger you mentioned I believe it should be set to wet - there is no evidence I can find concerning it being calcium.

Garry
AnswerID: 421307

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 15:41

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 15:41
Garry,
If you truly believe "there is no evidence I can find concerning it being calcium" I suggest you should look closer as I've stated it's Calcium and the charger should be set to calcium because that is the correct charge regime for that battery.

As to "the plates constructed so that the top of the plates are lighter" and "the lower section of the plates are heavier" that's an interesting idea, I would like to see the manufacturers specs that you have obviously read telling you that :)

Maîneÿ . .
FollowupID: 691657

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:29

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:29
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 691668

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:48

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:48
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Trolling Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 691756

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:01

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:01
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 691757

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 13:31

Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 at 13:31
Relevant information confirming the Supercharge Allrounder is indeed a Calcium battery

Supercharge Allrounder battery technical information
with sincere thanks to Ms_Google

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 691902

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:22

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:22
From the Supercharge website:

SuperCharge starting and deep cycle batteries are designed for more than starting, better able to sustain constant accessory loads. Powered by Expanded Calcium Grid (EXG) Technology, it can tolerate high temperature, resist vibration and provide high cranking power and reserve capacity.
AllRounder

ALLROUNDER

I've had one in the Patrol as second battewry for two years now. It's still going OK.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 421321

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:36

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:36
Thanks Peter
I feel like a tool now. haha
I just had another look at the website and saw it. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
For the life of me i could not find anything before with the mention of calcium.

Regards
Fugwurgin
FollowupID: 691669

Reply By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:41

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 16:41
Thank you to all who have posted a reply.

I now have the answer- i will be changing my settings to "calcium" and i will see if my little clear eye goes green!

cheers
AnswerID: 421323

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:11

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:11
I thought the answer was to change battery brands based on longevity :) Keep us informed if the charger settings doesn't fix the problem.

Andrew
FollowupID: 691678

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:06

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:06
hi Andrew. the calcium setting has given me a green eye again, took 2 cycles @ calcium setting, but got there in the end. thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 692724

Reply By: drivesafe - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 20:51

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 20:51
Hi Fugwurgin, you haven’t mentioned whether you over discharged the battery at any time.

These are just like conventional flooded wet cell batteries in that they do not like deep discharge cycles and the more and deeper you do discharge them, the shorter the life span you can expect.

Calcium/Calcium batteries, like just about everything else related to vehicle 12v systems and batteries, are surrounded with a lot of mysticism.

I can see these batteries probably replace all other forms, including AGMs, in the not to distant future.

But to your problem, you don’t need to have a special charger for charging a calcium battery. A normal charger will work fine, it just won’t fully charger these batteries just as your alternator will not fully charge them.

Contrary to how this may sounds, it’s actually not a problem and there is no evidence that you need to fully charge them to get a decent life span from them.

While your alternator and a standard battery charger will not fully charge them, they will charge them to 95-97% and this seems to be satisfactory to keep them in good nick.

These batteries are not all that new and have been around in large enough numbers to show they are good value for money and as to Allrounders in specific, I have two of them I use for different testing and R&D work, one of them is coming up to 4 years old and is still in top nick and I either use a standard 5 stage charger, no special C/C setting or an alternator to charge them.
AnswerID: 421355

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:18

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:18
hi drivesafe
thanks for your reply,
i dont think i have over discharged it, i usually put in on the charger every few days when im at home and when im out camping away from 240v i check periodically with a m/meter to monitor it. the lowest ive seen it is 11.8v, i have been told no lower than 11.5v or it will decrease its life as you have stated. My fridge has a cut out of 10.8v (useless- i think this is its operating voltage min rather a protection setting) was considering getting a cut-out switch that is more appropriate but havent got round to it.

I just needed to know if these batteries were Ca and wether or not i should be using the Ca setting to get them full which has now been resolved.

I know my piddly little alternator wont get it fully charged but if i can can get it to full with the charger before i go away camping, wont i get a longer time out of it to run my fridge if im away? ie if it is fully charged i hope to get 4 days running my fridge opposed to 2-3 days if only "nearly charged".

Thanks again for your reply.

FollowupID: 691723

Reply By: umopap!sdn - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 08:45

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 08:45
Hi Fugwurgin

I've been running 2 of these in my patrol for a couple of years now, and I have an electro 20amp charger.

I use the "calcium" and 13.8v float settings. No trouble getting the "condition eye" back to green.

I'm very happy with the charger and the batteries.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 421387

Follow Up By: fugwurgin - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:26

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 09:26
hi umopap!sdn

thanks for your reply, its good to hear positive feedback about the charger and these batteries.

Going to try the Calcium setting today- wish me luck.

hope you have a great weekend.

Anthony
FollowupID: 691754

Sponsored Links