Camper trailer upgrade

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:09
ThreadID: 79455 Views:2845 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there folks,

Have been thinking of making some structural changes to my 7x4 CT trailer. It is only a "semi-off-road" so therefore not overly rigid in the chassis area. I have been studying the designs and reading the manufacturers blurbs, and wonder if I could strengthen up the whole thing by welding up a new chassis.

The current configuration is only angle iron welded to the floor and sides with some cross-menbers for support (probably your standard garden variety trailer) - the suspension is slipper springs (5 leaf) and I'm unsure of the load rating.

My idea is to weld up RHS (75x50, or thereabouts) to a design that will allow the current trailer body, minus the old suspension, to sit on top. It could be welded on all the way around, and have a new shackle and rebound leaf off-road suspension system (as offered by Alloy Industrial Springs) fitted, thereby lifting it somewhat (it is too low in my opinion anyway), and possibly extending the drawbar to 1800mm, giving me more room at the front for storage.

My Cousin is a qualified welder, and has built boat trailers etc... I really think that it would be cheaper than replacing the whole trailer?

Cheers! Paul.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:41

Friday, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:41
I'm not qualified to assess your proposed changes, but I reckon you would need to discuss this with an engineer. I'd be especially careful about lengthening the draw bar. Seen too many that have given way around where the bar meets the trailer. Longer bar is a good idea off road, but I wouldn't be using angle iron and I'd look at running the bars well back into the chassis, especially if you intend adding more weight to be carried on the bar.
I sispect that it might eventually work out cheaper to sell the current trailer and transfer the camper top onto a new O/R trailer
AnswerID: 421368

Reply By: GerryP - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:54

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:54
Sounds good Paul. If it's properly done, it can only make it more reliable off road.

The only caution I would offer is that by raising the trailer, you may find the tent no longer touches the ground and that may need altering as well.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 421399

Sponsored Links