Bull dust............

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 21:54
ThreadID: 79557 Views:4901 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

We’re going on a trip shortly, with a few possible sections of heavy bull dust.

The camper van has five vents around the body, which I want to close off in sections of the track if need be. At the moment I’m thinking about 2mm plastic covers, or bubble wrap secured down by Gaffa tape to keep the dust out.

I’d be interested in what other have used, and if it was successful in keeping some of the bull dust out of a camper van.

PS none of the appliances are used or charged whilst travelling.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 22:25

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 22:25
There was a really smart idea on one of the blog's, just trying to find it for you, basically what they did was feed fresh filtered air into camper via a diesel air cleaner and filter and a air pump, that way filtered air is going into camper and sealing you might say against an influx of dust. it's on one of the blogs.

I hope this helps. very good idea to prevent dirty camper
AnswerID: 421798

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:08

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:08
Gidday

I doubt if I’ll go to that degree, but thanks for the post.

The camper van already has a vacuum vent, but they're not designed for heavy bulll dust.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 692209

Reply By: Duncanm - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:20

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:20
We made some covers up from old heavy duty tarp the size of the vents (two rectangular fridge vents) with the soft velcro stuck to the side of the van and the stiffer velcro stiched to the back of the tarp. I had the soft velco on the van so if you go ttoo close walking past etc it didnt catch on your clothes etc. seemed to work OK, but some dust did get in around the door. When not on duty roads we just keep the covers in the van.

Our fridge wasnt operating on 12 v when travelling, something you may need to consider if your fridge will be working on 12v when travelling, ie may need to let air flow in.

Regards Duncan
AnswerID: 421809

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:43

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 23:43
Duncan

I run a commpressor frig in the the car, so it's not a problem.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 692215

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 05:01

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 05:01
Yes we did the same on our old caravan an it worked great. Had canvas covers and velcro them on as soon as we hit dirt they would go. We even covered up the windows the same way. We riveted our Velcro around the hatches and made wood frames for the window to hold it on to.

Spoilt now as have an Elross 4x4 van with a dust prevention system in now, that works on a car fan system pulling air in creating the higher PSI on the inside. We do heaps of bull dust roads and its like snow white inside now.
Cheers Julie
FollowupID: 692218

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 00:42

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 00:42
Hi Kim & Pooch

Coreflute taped over the vents works for me. A good quality gaffer tape can be used several times over.

Good luck - regards

Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 421815

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:47
Years ago a neighbour of mine who had a Jayco got so sick of the dust that he set about to stop it entering the van.

First attempt was to cover the vents as has been described above. That made a big difference but he was still getting dust in. So he covered the windows, then taped around the door. Still the dust got in.

After doing a deep creek crossing on one trip he noticed mud running out from under a cupboard. Opening up the cupboard he could see the cause of the problem. Dust and water was getting in through the rivets holding the aluminium cladding onto the van. A dob of silicone on each rivet solved the problem.

Might I suggest a system to pressurise the van would work better.

Duncs
AnswerID: 421821

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:49

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:49
I should add that he was a reitired builder. As a widower and with his family living out of town he had lots of time on his hands.

He was a great neighbour, never knew he was there until I was working in the drive and having problems. He would just appear with the tool I needed to make the job I was having problems with easy.

Duncs
FollowupID: 692224

Reply By: Spana - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:57

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:57
Some one on here made up ali plates with rubber seals on the back. I think it was fastened on with wingnuts, and little 'nutserts' into the van.
I've been trying to find it myself as in the process of doing the same.
getting some 3mm ali plate cut this morning, then i think i'll glue some car door rubber around the edges, and see how best to attach it.
Troy
AnswerID: 421823

Sponsored Links