Yengo NP

Hi guys, im looking to head up to Yengo via the Finchley Track sometime next month, have a small group keen on astronomy. What kind of condition are the trails in? I have a 4wd, but we'll be taking up at least one more car, and no one else in the group has one.
Can a 2wd car make it to the Finchley Camping area from Laguna? From various posts I understand that there might be sandy patches there, so I don't want to end up having to pull a 2wd out.

Any recommendations for a large clearing where we can set up a few telescopes/cameras? I'm hoping the Finchley Camp ground will be suitable, otherwise it'll have to be a hike up to the Trig Station in the middle of the night

Also how far can we get before we encounter the locked gates? Or are they at all the entrances to the parks?

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 20:34

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 20:34
Generally it would be okay for two-wheel drive for the route you are looking at, although I can’t think of places that might be suitable around Finchley that has a large clearing with visibility to the sky for astronomy.

However, you could consider looking at going into Big Yengo which is a gated area, but might suit your purposes better.
Take a look at the National Parks website.

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 422130

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 21:20

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 21:20
Gnatty,

Give NP at Gosford a call, i believe that the campsite has been restricted and may not be available for camping, the Ranger will be able to tell you.

Regional Operations Coordinator Central Coast Hunter Range Region Central Branch.

Telephone: 02 43 204200
AnswerID: 422137

Follow Up By: Gnatty - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:46

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:46
Just as a follow-up, spoke with NPWS, they said that Finchley Camping Area is open for camping. I'll put up a track update when we get back.

Thanks for the help
FollowupID: 693047

Sponsored Links