A sad day sold my Patrol and buying a 200 series - NOT !!!!! GO Chevy?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 21:01
ThreadID: 79637 Views:7378 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

PREVIOUSLY WROTE - DEC 2009:

Purchased a 3.0 liter Patrol in 2003 and have had a fat time exploring this awesome country. Need a better towing vehicle and have waited and waited AND WAITED!!!!!!! for NISSAN to follow up their brilliant 3.0l, now 10 years after the first release of the 3.0l still no sign- of an towing vehicle!!!!!!!!!,

Well now after 10 months of exploring the many options, I have looked long and hard at the F250 2nd hand market and I am now considering the Chev/GMC Silverado / Sierra 2500.

Does anybody have one of these and an opinion to go? Has anybody personally imported a vehicle of this type into Aus and had it converted?

Regards

Rog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 08:23

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 08:23
If you like Patrols, why don't your just wait for the new model which is soon to be released. It has been discussed on other posts on this forum.

As for the imported Yank trucks, how will you go for getting spare parts and support with no local dealer support ?

Alternatively, you could check out one of the companies that already imports the Yank trucks and converts them to RHD.

AnswerID: 422164

Reply By: malley11 - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:27

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:27
Dont give up on your Nissan,i have a 91 model gq patrol fitted with a 6.5 litre Chevy diesel conversion done by Linquip in Gympie(no longer trading)had a lot of dramas at the start fuel consumption,overheating but after a lot of reseaching got on top of it all and the vehicle performs real well.Towing a 3 tonne+ caravan with the vehicle loaded grossing about 6 tonne i get close to 15 litres to the 100 klm depending on headwinds,aircon etc.There is a mob in WA who do the conversions they are called Brunswick Diesels and i have spoken to them on a few issues and they are very helpfull.All the best,steer clear off the yank tanks they are not what they are crancked up to be!
AnswerID: 422169

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:53

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:53
Interesting question.

I had Landies 110's and 130's and did a lot of bush miles.
Cabs were cramped (I'm 6'3") and highway power when overtaking and fully loaded was something you wrote away for and then waited for reply.

I wanted a tray for slide on camper so looked at Toy 75 and had a good laugh after I found out what they were asking for such a crude uncomfortable device. Patrol tray 4.2 nice roomy and comfy but old engine didn't excite me.

So I went for F250 new in January 2006. This was the last on the Brazilian imports. I put a OME 50mm suspension and slightly taller tyres plus a programmable chip in it.
This has been the best all round vehicle I have ever had.

Superb comfort on highway, surprisingly good in 4WD stuff, (I'm talking real 4wd not the graded dirt roads that a lot of people think is 4WD)
I wanted soft springs so put airbags on the back, I carry a 1 ton weight without noticing it. It will tow 4 tons up hill and still overtake Toyotas.

This being a Jap focused forum, a lot of people bag anything that has a non Jap badge so I expect a few rants claiming I'm mad or lying or both.

I have since driven extensively a Ram with the Cummins 6 and also GMC pickup. They are very similar to the Ford. After all they compete for the same customers in the same market. Ram with Cummins is an excellent combination.

As for the myth that only Jap stuff is reliable and has parts back up. it's just that a myth. The only issues I have had were a transfer case selector (fixed under warranty) and a wire to the water in fuel sensor chewed by a rat. That one took a while to find and fix but in fairness it wasn't Ford's fault.
There are several people who import parts and you can buy direct from the states often much cheaper than what a similar Toyota part would cost you.

Would I buy a similar vehicle? Absolutely! Power and comfort is in another league.

Your best bet would be to drive (extended drive say a weekend) these vehicles, you may find that, Jap is not all it's cracked up to be.

The US stuff has come along way in the last 20 years! If a F250 or similar was sold here for US type price. (An F250 starts at about low 30's US$) or about $40 Australian that would make for an interesting discusssion at the Toyota dealer when they are asking $60 for a poverty pack 75 tray.

Enjoy the research, you're in for some revelations.

AnswerID: 422171

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:52

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:52
As I am a Yota person I feel it is my responsibililty to step in and rant, rant, rant, rant.

Now that I have that out of the way, I believe either the big ford or chevy would be a great choice. I personally would go the Ford as they are quite common and servicing/parts will be available. Says he with a chevy in his Yota.

The best choice would be the new Ford "Canardly" goes down one hill and can hardly get up the other side. LOL.

Have a good one.
FollowupID: 692557

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:38

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:38
We run several F250 & 350 light trucks at work & are excellent tow vehicles, certainly not fast but just keep pulling no matter what the weight. The 250 has a poor load capacity in relation to their size & definately need upgrading the springs or adding airbags. Even the light weight Courior ute has a greater load capacity than an extra cab F250.
By far they break down more than any other vehicle in our fleet. Many wiring & computer issues, oil leaks, starter motors & now this week the suspension has found to be cracking on 2 vehicles! At 4.5 tonne tyres wear very quickly & any mud pattern on the front always ends in stepped lugs despite rotation & alignments. Offroad we find they bog down very quickly in mud & belly out due to the poor rampover but could be fixed with oversized tyres & a lift. Being wider than most on remote tracks I've also seen 1st hand how vunerable they are to puncturing.
Now don't get me wrong, we love our F trucks at work & would have another tommorrow in a blink if still available but I'd hate to have to pay to keep them on the road. We're actually looking at the new Merc twin cab 4x4 Sprinters as a replacement. Better load capacity but will miss the awsome towing power.
Cheers Craig...............
FollowupID: 692581

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:22

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:22
Gone Troppo,
Gee it's 5 hours since your post and no response mmmm interesting. Come on you toyota/nissan lovers where's your support. The Japcrap isn't as good as it used to be!!! They are rolling over to make a cheaper vehicle at an inflated price

Regards..............Jeff
PS I own a HZJ 78 and love it.!!!
AnswerID: 422194

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:06

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:06
I thought about that too.........came the conclusion they must all be out trying to get part for their Toynisswoos so they can go out for the weekend.

FollowupID: 692561

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:28

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:28
I have imported a GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually Crew Cab Duramax 6.6 2007 Classic SLT .. boy thats a mouth full .. am just shipping a Suncoast Allison Stage V, BD Turbo and a few other things to bring it up to 550hp. I have still all the contacts, also in the US and could not be happier with the vehicle. Awesome power and comfort, cheaper parts than JapCars and I also have a Tech II for full diagnostics.
If you want more info email me gmd At 4sail.name
good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 422195

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:53

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 15:53
here is a picture
Gmc Off Road

I left it a 5.2T GVM, so you need a truck licence but one can reduce
it to 4.5t without problems to use C license, but I would not know why
unless you are in QLD where insurance is insane for trucks. Truck license
costs $180 in WA. A family member just done one, easy enough.

I have rear airbags, which I fill up when I load my truck camper.
Long range tank (260l), double shocks in front, Bilsteins all around,
On board Air system with 1Hp compressor, hydraulic winch, steering
enforcement (HD tierods, pitman/idler braces), 4" dual exhaust with
exhaust brake, dual receiver hitch, single receiver hitch at front, HD
additional fuel filter with lift pump and a few more. It left every
other car in the dust when we went to Warren Beach over the steep
dunes. You have to get used to the longer wheelbase and have to adjust
driving over dunes accordingly, but it has very low center of gravity despite
it's clearance and cuts it's own tracks, which is a good thing. And it
has power power power and can pull a Toyota or Nissan up a steep hill
with the brakes engaged :) ...

It has Limited Slip Diff in the front and Auto Lockers in the rear from
the factory. No mods required... it goes awesome everywhere,

and it was cheaper after conversion, landed and taxes paid, than a
Toyota with full leather and all bells and whistles, not that this would ever compare.

The important thing for me was that I can buy all diagnostic tools and repair
manuals to be independent of any mechanics.

It is not true that there is no dealer support here. You can buy them with 5 years warranty on the full car, but you pay a lot more for that.

good luck
gmd

FollowupID: 692558

Follow Up By: Rognet - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 20:19

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 20:19
gmd

Would appreciate a email to discuss more detail or you experience with the GMC's have seen a few of your previous posts and have been trying to find a contact for you?

Regards

Rog
FollowupID: 692585

Reply By: Rognet - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 20:00

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 20:00
Thanks to all for the feedback, I have been getting more and more serious about a GMC or F250 the more I consider the options.

Toyota 200 - Rebook price $98,750 and only 560Kg capacity
Nissan patrol 2011 going to independent suspension, same or smaller motor?
GMC 2008 low Ks 360+Hp 3.5tonne capacity around $100K :-)

Although I have done some serious 4WD I generally avoid troublesome situations if they can be avoided, I like to tow my 6m tinnie with 150Hp and camp gear where ever I go, the slide on or trayback camper setup appeals to us and it all seems to be adding up to a small truck.

AnswerID: 422222

Follow Up By: Ray - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:24

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:24
With the Fords its worth considering the F350.It has better gearing for towing and better weight carrying capacity. I'm on my third,the last two being imports. My current ute is an 09 crew cab Lariat.We left Perth 10 weeks ago towing a van and are now in Mackay. It makes light work of a 22 foot van. The motor is reprogrammed to 560 HP and its returning 18 to 20 Litres/100.
I think the Chev is a good truck too. The 6.6 duramax is a proven engine.
They are lighter built in the front end than a Ford but by all reports a good reliable truck.
FollowupID: 692597

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 20:35

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 20:35
Rognet
This was my solution to the problem Check this out as to what to replace the nissan with and get more power.
just a thought

FollowupID: 692676

Sponsored Links