cold water tap

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 19:36
ThreadID: 79657 Views:4571 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hope someone can assist, my son has just bought a1985 Viscount aerolight just to live in while working away and wishes to put a mains cold water tap on the sink. does anyone know if you can by a kit or what sort pipe and fittings should be used.
Rocka
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 20:04

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 20:04
Rocka,'
I suggest he goes to a plumbing supplier and purchases what he needs from there. Make sure he uses flexible braided hoses for the installation.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 422223

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 21:36

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 21:36
Hi...we had the same requirement in our Viscount Seabreeze. We got a good tap set up at CAMEC which was a bit like some of the water filter type taps that mount onto a stainless steel bench. I just used the grey grade 13mm? water pipe and self sealing push on fittings. I ran the pipeline under the caravan to both the front and rear of the van and fitted snap lock fittings so I could access water from either end of the van. I soon changed the front fitting to a half inch hose tap mounted on the draw bar...so I could either use it as an outside tap when water was coming from the rear...or use it as a hose connection if the water supply was near the front of the van. The rear connextn was simply a hose connector with a cut of built into it. Hope you can make sense of this.
Cheers Witi.
FollowupID: 692595

Follow Up By: rocka - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:07

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:07
Thanks Witi i will check at the local plumbing shop or bunnings for the grey pipe and fittings.
Rocka
FollowupID: 692596

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 23:42

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 23:42
First you need the tap. There is a selection of them in Tap Link

The second thing you need is a pressure reducing inlet Inlet Link

Locate the tap in a convenient place next to the sink and the inlet in the side wall. Connect the two together with food grade hose and the necessary fittings. This is how many of the vans without hot water systems are fitted out (including the 3 of mine with mains pressure water.) There is no need to go to all the trouble of having to install rigid piping.

All the water inlets have USA hose fittings that mate with them, BSP fittings don't work very well.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 422231

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 00:33

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 00:33
Not sure about the pressure reducing inlet....we spent 2 years on the road, all around Australia...and never had one fitted...however occasionally after connecting to a camp site supply the tap over the sink would sneeze and give the "boss" a minor moment...however usually I would connect up and then go inside and bleed any air by gently turning on the tap....but being human I occasionally forgot..or felt like some entertainment.
FollowupID: 692602

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:47

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:47
The pressure reducing inlet is needed if you are plumbing in flexible hose. It is also the most convenient for hooking up in a park.

I gave this method as the food grade hose would be easier to work than the rigid plastic pipe. It's now up to the OP how he will tackle the installation.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 692624

Sponsored Links