Kimberley travels

I am looking at going through the Kimberley region (Gibb River Road) in about 6 weeks. We have an off road Jayco Basestation and was wondering if anyone could advise if it will be possible to take it through and for any advice
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:41

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:41
Willharry7 Hi,
Common sense as allways prevails, I took a Jayco pop top through & up toDrysdale , then tented up to Mitchell Falls etc. Got a bit of water in crossing the Pentecost river. Here & there there are some corrugations but nothing to stop you having a wonderful trip in Magic Country. Saw a couple of vehicles with problems, as every where else it always seems to be the travellers who dont seem to have enough TIME.
Enjoy your trip.
Mike
AnswerID: 422258

Follow Up By: oldfart1953 - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 13:02

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 13:02
Hi Willharry7,
As Mike says......
Common sense as always prevails!!!

CU down the road
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 692629

Reply By: Willharry7 - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 19:11

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 19:11
No worries guys, of course common sense always prevails. Can anyone advise though how practical it is towing a caravan of such size through the kimberleys and if there are any tips or advice I would be keen to hear them. Also we are planing on going to the Mitchell falls and therefore would need to leave the caravan for a few nights. Is there anywhere safe to do this?
AnswerID: 422290

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 21:50

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 21:50
You can leave the van at Drysdale station on the way up. It's a great place and a good place to spend a day after you get back fro the falls.
AnswerID: 422312

Reply By: Charles Jenkinson - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 03:55

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 03:55
Hi Willharry7,

I spent half of last year working in Broome, and took my better half along the Gibb last May, pulling my off-road box camper trailer behind my 80 Series. We had a wonderful trip!

We didn't have any trailer problems (although I concede that Kermit - our pet name for our trailer - isn't anywhere near as heavy as what you're pulling) on the Gibb. Then again, we also went towards the beginning of tourist season, and the road was fairly good quality right the way through. There was a patch just after Mt Elizabeth Station, up to the Kalumburu turnoff that was a little rough, but it didn't give us any dramas. I would imagine that you might have some rougher track to contend with, in the middle of dry season.

We found 65-70 km/h a comfortable speed on most of the very good track. Others may disagree, but articulated, that felt the best. I experimented with tyre pressure, and found the best combination was to have my tyres aired down to 28 PSI. We emerged on Great Northern Highway with all 6 and spares intact. (Very happy, as I had just fitted brand new BF Goodrich A/Ts on the truck).

I agree with others - strongly consider leaving the trailer at Londsdale Station when turning north to Kalumburu. Sure, the trailer will probably make it, but the whole way up you'll probably be stressing. Not what you want for a relaxing holiday!

The only problem we had was a broken air conditioner compressor which occurred 150 km out of Halls Creek. I blame Clare - she was driving at the time it happened!!

I'm very envious of you for having the trip to look forward to. My favourite place was Dale's Gorge. Thought it was very picturesque! It was also free, and only a short but pleasant walk.

We're already planning our trip to Carrawine Gorge/Eel Pool for next year, and Rudall River for the following. Have a great trip!

Charles

Gracie "The Grey Ghost"
1991 Toyota Landcruiser GXL (HDJ80R)
4.2L 1HD-T Turbo Diesel
358,864 km and counting!
AnswerID: 422328

Follow Up By: Charles Jenkinson - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 03:56

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 03:56
Dale's Gorge is a long way away from Galvan's Grove, where I meant to say. Sorry for getting my geography out of whack! I've only just got home from work!

Charles
FollowupID: 692700

Follow Up By: Charles Jenkinson - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 15:20

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 15:20
Damnit! Drysdale Station, not Lonsdale (as in the South Australian place...) Serves me right for posting after work at nearly 02:00 in the morning...

Charles
FollowupID: 692740

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 18:19
We took our van up and stayed at theKing Edward River Camps. stayed at camp 1 (the 2nd camp area as you go in from the Kalumburu Rd) magic spot, spent a couple of days there (a couple orf art sites to visit) and just did day trip into the falls. You could leave the van on site if you want and go to the falls for a couple of days, or consider going up closer to the Mitchell Falls camp area and doing bush camp off in the scrub some where. (think there was good spots about 15 to 20km from the falls camp area) . We then went onto Kalumburu for a few days.

Like others have already stated, take it easy, should have no drama. ENJOY.
AnswerID: 422489

Follow Up By: nifty60 - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:05

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:05
Hi Graham,
I have just got a 17 ft Jayco Destiny, and really want to take a bike also ( XR400). Is there any hassles with fitting one to the drawbar as far as towing and insurance etc?
FollowupID: 692952

Sponsored Links