High fuel consumption

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 19:39
ThreadID: 79781 Views:3211 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I did a check today as I noticed the fuel guage seem to drop pretty quick for the amount of klms I had done. Worked out at 16.1L per 100k. Would it be fair to say that with the extremely cold weather we have had the last few mornings (so colder start ups) and the fact that I only do 9k to work and a whole heap of very short trips eg from home to Penrith shops (about 8k), doctors, hospital, doctors, etc would account for it ??? Normally its around 13.2 around town. Im putting it down to the colder mornings so would be pumping more fuel in till it warms up (this is noticable by it idling higher on start up when cold. The last time I replaced fuel and air filter was 20k ago. It is a 1kz 01 T/D prado. Makes me wonder these days with later model cars, old hilux use to be 10's day in day out, the old commodore VX 01 was 11.2 now the company VE commodore sits pretty well on 13.3 all the time. Maybe time to get into a D4D hilux or Dmax, Colorado, All under the 10L per hundred.Has any one else noticed their fuel up a bit ?? due to colder weather. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:56

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:56
Good day Steve,
I am getting crap economy out of my v6 Jack to at the moment, only getting arround 400ks per tank, but I am sure its the oxygen sensor which I have allready brought.
Dont get to excited about the d4ds, we have one that got crap fuel in it and its now going to cost $10000 to repair. New pump new injectors and some other stuff. Their is also a 200 up at the local toyota dealer that is up for a $16000 repair from crook fuel. One thing if I owned a common rail motor I would be investing in a extra filter.
What you said about the cold could also be my trouble as it would be running very rich. It was minus 6 here yesterday morning, even the hot water tap at work froze. I normally use it to defrost everything else.
I have noticed that the computer in the sidi commodores as low as 8.6(country run ) but when I drove up to mussellbrook and back last week it was about 10.
If you had to replace your injectors and pump it would cost less then $3000 I would imagine, and the 1kz are a lot more tolerant of crook fuel, I know which one I would prefer lol.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 422725

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:25

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:25
Forgot to add my cocky mate reckons you never get the same economy out of winter diesel mix, not sure if you would be on winter mix down their or not .
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 693114

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:53

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:53
Good ay Pete, hows things ?? Yeah Im putting it down to cold starts and extremely short runs while its been so cold, I spoke to my mechanic mate tonight about it and he reckons the same thing. He said they will pump in more fuel and obviously been so cold in the mornings he said will pump more in obviously taking longer to warm up. Yeah Im a bit dubious about these D4D's about picking up crappy fuel and costing a whole heap to repair, I was watching ation 4x4 dvd and they had a 200 series on there that had picked up crappy fuel and stuffed all 8 injectors and pump repair I think they said was about 18g's scary stuff but apparantly the servo company admitted to the bad fuel, but could have been a costly thing if he hadnt kept the receipt, I always end up with a console full of fuel receipts just in case. I would love to drive a 1kz with a dp chip to see the difference, I want to get one but for $1500 is alot if it doesnt make the difference they say, suppose to be from 343nm's to 398nm fair difference and virtually no difference in economy ?? Am going to ring them and see wether if I fit one and not happy with it within say a 30 day period I get my money back ??? There are a few areas (lon hills ) etc and know how it normally goes, eg pulling up mooney mooney Im normally out of over drive foot down pulling 110 up the hills, this can change slightly depending on weather conditions etc but have been told it will pull up without dropping from overdrive obviously under the samde conditions. I dont believe we run winter diesel here in our area ?? Not 100% sure on that, I thought it was only alpine areas. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 693117

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:44

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:44
Hi

I always thought engines ran more efficiently with cool (denser) air - natures own intercooler. Isn't this correct?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422730

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 23:04

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 23:04
Hi Greg, they probably do but I think my main issue is the cold starts and so many of them lately. I did a run a while back (summer) all freeway driving and it jumped to 13.3L per 100 (more then the old V6 12.2) and was told by a few people that it was due to the rain and extremely high humidity) had moisture all around the aircon vents it was that muggy, one of those days when it was 30+ then poured down rain but was really muggy as well and still warm, mechanic told me it drank more as the air was so thick ?? Made sense I suppose as I have driven the same drive again a few times and it dropped back to normal. I did go to Woolongong the other night and it did 11.1L per 100 and I dont baby it. I will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks and if still up there I will get it checked out, maybe an injector/s issue although I dont think so. I thought been computer controlled it would work itself out in regards to dense air etc, dont know, it seems to be running fine other wise. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 693118

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 08:20

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 08:20
Unless it is the same for a few tankfulls I wouldn't worry as there is diesel and their is diesel even from the same servo, sometimes it is normal/good and others it is down on power and hence you use more.
I used to drive a 1HZ powered Coaster bus every day, usually only filled at the same servo's (Shell as we used a fuel card) and regularly there would be a tank that was "crook" something like the difference between the unleaded crap and premium.
AnswerID: 422745

Reply By: Member - Barry (NT) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:19

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 16:19
If its not a "one off" batch of fuel I'd be looking into it further ASAP,,,

cold weather shouldn't have that much effect in my experience with diesels both generators and vehicles

start up and drive off and don't let idle after oil pressure is up is the way to go IMHO and my Tojo manual for 4.2 turbo says drive off don't idle
AnswerID: 422784

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 18:50

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 18:50
Hi there Barry, I dont sit their warming it up once started but I do only idle away and fairly easy on the throttle till I see the temp guage move a tad, I dont like to flog it or accelerate hard till it warms up, I pretty much crawl around sort of not over 40k till it warms a tad by then I have come too the main road which requires a bit of right foot to blend with the flowing traffic. I have been told this is better for the turbo till it warms a bit ?? I change oil filter and oil every 5k without fail. I'm pretty sure its due to the excess start stopping I have done the last week, running wife to doctors (5k away) then to Penrith 8k from home then back to doctors with results and things, then to local shops, back home, pick up 2 year old from daycare everything with in 10k radius. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 693211

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 20:53

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 20:53
Barry, If you where down here at the moment you might change your mind about that lol.
The max in Bathurst today was 6c. My northern friends think freezing is below 20c lol.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 693223

Follow Up By: Member - Barry (NT) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 15:00

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 15:00
Hi Steve

what you are doing seems OK as I do similar but a bit over 40. It's not just the turbo that likes a light load until at operating temp,,, most mechanical things do especially drive train components incl g/box and wheel bearings etc.

Pete

yep we had 2 winters down South last 2 years and it was a shock after 25 years in the tropics. Still belive in start up and drive off slowly with light load.

cheers Baz
FollowupID: 693497

Sponsored Links