Heading to North Queensland in 2 weeks.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 20:07
ThreadID: 79785 Views:3702 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
My partner, myself and my 2 year old son are leaving Tassie in 2 weeks heading to Northern QLD. Would love to hear from anyone travelling the same direction with young kids! Would also love some advice on safe free/cheap camping areas along the way. Has anyone got a rough idea on costs per week for a journey such as this? We are hoping to have a good mix of free camping and caravan parks with a few kids facilities to break it up.
Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:39

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:39
One of the best investments you will make is the Camps Australia book edition 5 - free camping, cheaper caravan parks - heaps of info, you can get one with pictures of the places, or the one without is a bit cheaper - around $50 I think - available at lots of camping places - try this site as well.
Enjoy yourselves.
jules
AnswerID: 422721

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:49

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 21:49
Just checked in the Shop - and yes it is there under books - put camps australia in the search - $49.95 but will save you heaps I guarantee.
jules
FollowupID: 693112

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:43

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 22:43
I'll second that - Camps is one of the best investments you will make - it will pay for itself in a week!

Costs of doing a long trip have occasionally been discussed on the forum. Obviously it varies according to a lot of factors, but the type of accommodation that you use (eg tenting vs motels) and how you eat (lots of eating out/takeaways vs make your own) and how much you spend on attractions are the things that push the costs up.

Many say that costs average about $1 per kilometre travelled. We bush camp a lot and prepare almost all of our food so travel for a bit less than that - but we also have a thirsty vehicle and allow ourselves the occasional scenic flight, boat trip etc.

Have a great trip,

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 693115

Reply By: petengail - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:40

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:40
one really cheap and good camp along the way is inskip point. as it is the jump off point for fraser island you might want to stay a few days. just google it for all the infor re permits etc.
AnswerID: 422740

Follow Up By: petengail - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:41

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:41
or just look it up in your camps 5 i am sure its there... cheers
FollowupID: 693124

Reply By: becsam - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 08:26

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 08:26
Yeah we have the camps 5 book with the pics and it is great but it's still great to get others ideas on good spots.
About $1 per km sounds about what we thought so that's great. Hopefully it wont be too much more than that because we are estimating we will do around 10,000 - 13,000 km. We are towing our Jayco flamingo Outback and are fully self sufficient so we are set up to free camp whenever possible.
Great to know there's a cheap spot not far from fraser. It's an area we are hoping to explore quite a bit.
Thanks!
AnswerID: 422748

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:30

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 14:30
I quite like Etty Bay near Innisfail. Little caravan park on a secluded beach.
Was very plain and simple when I was there, not sure if they have done it up. Few facilities and not expensive.

I am also pretty sure you can still take a van to the little bays around the back of lake tinaroo. This might remind you of Tasmania a bit as it is sometimes cold and wet in winter but most likely will be cool and delightful. You have to pay camping permits. Locals don't usually go there in winter which will be good for you. Go to the areas furthest in as the closer ones get the day tripping water skiers. Hire a tinny (or maybe you have a canoe) and you can go after crayfish.

Look these two up in your book for some current information.

AnswerID: 422774

Sponsored Links