Cape York

Submitted: Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:53
ThreadID: 79789 Views:3234 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

planning a trip up to Cape York late July/early August in my Jeep Cherokee - not towing anything.

What are the roads like at the moment - or be like by the time I go?

thanks

martin on behalf of Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:07

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:07
Hi Marty.

We just got back from the Cape yesterday.
All roads were good and graders everywhere.
All creek crossings up the OT track were easy but some of the bank exits were deeply eroded and required picking your path carefully.
CREB track was still closed when we went up but may be open now.
Coming down, the Developmental Roads were in good shape. A few corrugations in parts but not bad. Some unsealed sections of the Developmental Roads were smoother than most bitumen roads. Bit dusty of course.
Be careful when approaching vehicles pass in dust...... not all following vehicles have their headlights on despite many signs advising it.

As we did, have a great time.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422763

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:12

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:12
Palm creek was the worst of the crossings IMO (didn't do gunshot as too many vehicles jammed there at the moment), with a good filter for those wanting to do the OTL. Another family tagged along with us from Palm creek in a stock landcruiser and had no real problems even if they were reluctant to do all the crossings (quite understandable).

Andrew
FollowupID: 693150

Follow Up By: Glenndini - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 15:50

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 15:50
Andrew,
Are you saying there was a jam of cars waiting to cross Gunshot or a lot jammed (stuck, bogged) in the crossing itself?
Not quite sure what you mean by a good filter either. Do you mean filtering out a large number of vehicles taking the OTL route?
FollowupID: 693179

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:30

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:30
Yes, there were several cars jammed waiting for a winch, which ended up with a backlog of cars waiting. Busy at the moment. Too much ego at that crossing for my liking.

The first crossing, palm creek, filters out those who are keen and capable. The rest turn around here. The guys at Bramwell tell people to go down to the crossing and make the decision as that seems to be a common question.

Andrew
FollowupID: 693356

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:08

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 11:08
It all depends which roads you are going on. ;)

Sitting at the top at the moment.....main roads are very good, though if you don't like the odd stretch of corrugations you may not like the roads. :)

Stick to a comfortable and sensible speed, lights on (for other vehicles to see you) and there are no problems. Stopped and helped a Prado that died yesterday on the main road just south of the Jardine River ferry, though it could happen to ANY vehicle. Worst road conditions we found were the last section from Bamaga to the Tip of Cape York.

Enjoy your trip,

Andrew
AnswerID: 422764

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:36

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:36
Whats the current fee for the Jardine ferry and does it cover both ways?

Phil
AnswerID: 422963

Sponsored Links