Annexe walls

Submitted: Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 13:20
ThreadID: 79792 Views:2696 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I already have a bag awning on our poptop camper, and are in the process of getting the walls made up now. The awning was made out of PVC so we now have no choice about the roof, but what is better for the walls?
We have the design that all 3 walls will basically be zipped down to bare mozzie mesh if we need the airflow.
I am leaning towards the canvas for it's ability to breath, but will this be important if we zipped all the sides down anyway.
I've noted that the PVC will gather condensation, but having the roof allready PVC don't have a choice on that, will the walls play a part in dripping condensation then?

So considering the roof as PVC, what would be best for walls??
Thanks agian
Troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 15:40

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 15:40
Troy

having been in the transport industry for over 20 years i have wroked with both PVC and Canvas tarps. my opinion?????......definatly canvas.
PVC........sweats in the heat,wont dry out until you spread it out (con)
is very water proof (pro)

Canvas...........doesnt sweat in the heat (pro)
harder to keep clean than PVC

they are just my experience with both,cheers.
AnswerID: 422781

Follow Up By: Spana - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 17:17

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 17:17
Thanks Mark
I think the problem is they both have there pro's and con's, makes it hard
cheers for your opinion!
Troy
FollowupID: 693194

Reply By: jophca - Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 21:52

Friday, Jul 02, 2010 at 21:52
PVC is used by manufactures as a cheaper lighter and easy clean product that is easy to produce in different colours often with large pvc clear windows. The big problem is that it does not breathe and even with the mesh walls it will get stale in side. Canvas although harder to keep clean is still the best choose as for cleaning I vacuum my camper walls and roof from the outside as it sucks the air through the canvas this removes a lot of dust ect. Are about to order canvas wall for our new camper for same reasons. Just my thoughts. John C
AnswerID: 422829

Follow Up By: Spana - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 09:03

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 09:03
Thanks for that, I think we wll be getting the canvas. Do you think or know if we will still get the condensation on the roof?
FollowupID: 693251

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:12

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:12
As for weightWell

I had a Aussie Traveller Canvas annexe on my last van was light and packed away into a small bag I could lift with one hand.

Took up no more room than an overnight sports bag.

New van came with PVC annexe Is packed in two great big bags each at least twice the size of the original one. Would weigh 4 times as much as well.

Is a bloody terrible thing and I now only use the shadecloth walls.

FollowupID: 693262

Sponsored Links