Generators in National Parks

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 798 Views:3352 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with using, or being stopped from using, generators in Nation Parks in SA or WA?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Timothy - Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00
Generators in National parks are for dim wits who really don't understand or appreciate why most people go there, peace, solitude and maybe to comunicate with nature and the small animals that frequent parks and camp sites.. If you cannot plan your trip into a National Park without a generator I suggest you stay at home , maybe use someone else's backyard....
Tim
AnswerID: 2241

Follow Up By: John - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00
Tim, your reply was very unhelpful for what sounds like a novice 4 wheeler wanting help. If you cannot reply without diatribe, then stay off the forum.

In answer to the question, yes, generators are forbidden in some National Parks. You would need to check before you travel. This forum is a good starting point. Most States will also have details of their National Parks and regulations on the web. Generally it is not a good idea to use generators continuously due to the noise and pollution problems caused to others camping nearby. But if you are in an areas where generators are allowed and you will not cause problems for others then use it to charge your batteries, turn it off and then run your lights, fridge etc off your batteries. Use your generator sensibly and sparingly with consideration for others.

Happy 4 wheeling.John
FollowupID: 798

Follow Up By: Rod - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Dear John, Tim's answer is absoluty spot on!
FollowupID: 800

Follow Up By: Allan - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Tim & Rod, Time to get a life guys. Most National Parks have ‘generator sections’. I have stayed in the ‘generator’ section of National Park camping grounds when the ‘non- generator’ section has been too crowded. I have found most people to be considerate with the use of their generators and I don’t mind mixing with them at all. Maybe you shouldn’t even drive in National parks because of the damage you do. Keep an open mind and respect others who don’t have an expensive solar system to maintain battery charge when camped in one area for more than 2-3 days.
FollowupID: 808

Follow Up By: John - Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00
Dear Rod. I have no problem with Tim's answer, just his way of saying it. This Forum is to help each other, not to abuse others.
Happy 4 wheeling.John
FollowupID: 809

Reply By: Jaap - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Some parks have an area set aside for generators(Lawn Hill national park used to run this system)
I occassionally run a small honda generator to charge the car battery and run the fridge. Usually go to the generator area if there is one set aside for this and after breakfast(when most people are awake) Normally run the honda for 1 tank full = 4-5 hrs charge and fridge running which is more than enough for the rest of the day.
Usually don't need the generator until day 3 if the car hasn't been used for any trips
I find that if you are thoughtfull of other peoples space and don't put the generator in a location which will cause a noise problem for others you will not have a problem
Mind you the honda is a remarkably quite unit
AnswerID: 2243

Reply By: Mark Wilson - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

Another option, if you're using the generator for charging on board batteries etc is to take the generator some fuel and a picnic lunch. Drive out of the National Park and charge your batteries while having lunch and a bit of a rest. There are now a new generation of deep cycle batteries marketed/distributed under the Optima brand. I believe these recharge much more quickly than the old plate style and if you're setting up might be worth a look. Beware however that they are pretty pricey. I think about $420 compared to $150 for a normal lead acid equivalent.

Happy camping regards Mark Wilson
AnswerID: 2245

Follow Up By: Blackie - Friday, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:00

A sensible answer Mark.
People are entitled to ask questions. V. didn't admit to using a generator anyway.
Imagine what some bushwalkers would say about your 4WD in a National Park, let alone a generator.
FollowupID: 806

Reply By: V.Alcock - Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:00
Thank you John, Allan, Jaap, Mark and Blackie for your support. I'm sorry to have been the cause of so much disruption and I must admit it certainly could discourage a less positive person from ever asking questions on a forum... ever again! I was under the impression that "4 wheelers" were a friendly, helpful lot. I certainly hope we don't encounter the other sort, that we now know exist. It had never occured to me that anyone would run a generator anywhere or at anytime that would disturb other campers. Yes, we are learners - that is why we are asking questions, doing so much research and going on so many little practise trips before we set out.Thanks everyone.
AnswerID: 2256

Follow Up By: Bill - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00
Hello V Alcock
It really isn't possible to run a generator at any time anywhere without disturbing others. Try gas for cooking, 12v for fluoro lighting, and 12v or gas for refrigeration. I've actually seen people running a generator for lighting a bush camp!! It just isn't necessary!! Enjoy your camping. I'd be fairly sure that the chap who sounded a bit upset has had to put up with a few generators and his attitude is understandable I think. Another "no no" is chain saws. They are usually used by people with generators who want a huge roaring fire and 240v lights!! You'll also find that these types are found in increasing numbers nearer to large towns. They are often "weekend campers" who buy up everything they think they need, race off to "the bush" and cause havoc for everyone - they usually throw in a few trail bikes and guns too. The area north of Moe in Victoria is particularly bad for these types. On the other hand more remote areas are generally more peaceful. People who are prepared to travel further from the populated areas are usually much more considerate towards others.
FollowupID: 919

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:00
Why not use an enviromentally friendly generator. I use a solar panel, no noise, no fuel requiremants, about the same price and you can use them anywhere. (As long as the sun is shining :-)
AnswerID: 2273

Reply By: jono - Monday, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:00
hi guys, look its all about treading lightly. if you look after the environment, as well as other people enjoying it, then we can all have a good time together. by being friendly towards other 4 wheel drivers at camping spots throughout this great country, i have met some fantastic people and joined up with them on day trips from camping grounds. i dont use a generator personally, i find i can manage with a decent dual battery system, but i dont have a problem with them if people are considerate. but be warned, check with the local rangers first...and to those earlier who were laying into V for asking a valid question; she/he is doing the right thing by asking, maybe if more people asked questions like this, there wouldnt be so much trouble with generators. cheers, Jono
AnswerID: 2277

Follow Up By: Graham - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:00
The silliest question is the one you never ask
FollowupID: 819

Sponsored Links