Rant!

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 10:33
ThreadID: 79814 Views:4011 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. Out & about in the great outback at the moment, having a blast! This country has to have the bestest scenery on the planet IMHO. And yet it is spoiled at times by the thoughtless hordes who think nothing of dropping the rubbish wherever they are whenever they are finished with it. We stopped at a rest area north of Lyndhurst yesterday, beautiful view, but marred by empty coke bottles, milk bottles, biscuit packets, and then the reams of toilet paper! I picked up the rubbish, but no way would I pick up toilet paper!
Why do people feel it is OK to dump their rubbish? I would hate to think that anyone on EO would do that, but I bet there's some that do! If you're reading this, and are secretly guilty of it, don't bother trying to explain it to me. There is N O reason that will make me understand why you need to litter the countryside with your crap! We only have one outback Australia, it's a magnificent place and I for one would love to see it stay as pristine as possible!
For the many who do the right thing, good on you all! Give yourselves a pat on the back! And for the ones who will ask me "Brian, have you NEVER littered?"... well, when I was a young kid I did, but since becoming an adult, No, I do not litter, there is no reason to!

End of soapbox bit.

By the way, we are having a BLAST!!!! ;-))

Cheers

Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 10:47

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 10:47
It does not matter here you go , city or country, why people cannot hold onto their rubbish and dispose of their rubbish properly ( and it is not hard to do) frustrates me too.....BUT do not let it ruin your holiday/adventure.
It still gives me great pleasure to travel out there and when I stop I will sometimes clean up a little as well, if I'm in the mood to do so, even if it is only to make my camping area better.
Maybe by our example we can influence others to do likewise.

AnswerID: 422871

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 10:51

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 10:51
Redbakk,
There is nothing that could spoil this trip for me I reckon. You are right! It isn't hard, and also I like to think that we CAN change things by example. Thanks for your post mate.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 693259

Reply By: Road Warrior - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:23

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:23
Because people today have no respect, and don't give a stuff about things like littering anymore. It's a pretty sad indictment of how our country has changed.
AnswerID: 422875

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:46

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:46
We have developed a culture of "Someone else can do that for me"
FollowupID: 693271

Follow Up By: RJ5023 - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 13:26

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 13:26
I think we've got short memories.

In the 60-70's it was very common to see beer bottles/cans all along the road verges anywhere you travelled, along with assorted other crud. Many people would throw cig butts out the window - still smoldering. Ever seen discarded cassette tapes strung out along fence lines?

Big difference today is that we're all more aware of it, and there are a lot more of us travelling around to all kind of places.

The "old days" were not that great, and our country has not gone backwards. I think things are improving all the time.

The minority WILL NOT rule.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 693279

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 13:31

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 13:31
I can remember thinking that beer and soft drink cans etc should have been made with high reflecting coatings.

So cars could see where the roads went at night from the lines of rubbish down the side of the roads.

If there was a 5c deposit on cans and bottles a lot of this would be collected and returned for recycling like in SA.
FollowupID: 693280

Follow Up By: dbish - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:51

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:51
Hi Doug, Here in SA the refund is now 10c for bottles cans & some flavoured milk cartons, lucky to see any on the side of the road any where near civilisation, pensioners pounce on them. Daryl
FollowupID: 693310

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:59

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:59
Some years ago we camped overnight in Wilcannia

It was an interesting experience as it was pension night and the party went on all night over the river from our camp.

In the morning we met a charming older woman walking round the streets with a barrow and bag collecting the tins and unbroken beer bottles from the streets and yards. we talked to her and she said she supplemented her pension very nicely by cleaning up after the pension night party. Every month a truck took her empties to SA for a refund and she got a nice tax free cash payment :-)

I believe that the larger packaging companies have fought state government tooth and nail to prevent similar schemes in other states because it will cost them extra money.

Amazing how public spirited big business can be when it comes to keeping Australia clean !
FollowupID: 693314

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:05

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:05
I'm with RJ5023 on this one. Anyone who doesn't rememer this being a problem in the old days, has either selective memory loss or was themselves a litterbug (and thefore blind to the issue).

As was mentioned before, lead by example.
FollowupID: 693743

Reply By: D200Dug- Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:45

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:45
At a beautiful scenic lookout on the sunny coast WITH Rubbish bins provided for easy disposal of waste. There were piles of fast food wrappers and containers 90% Maccas and KFC thrown over the lookout.

I t had to be a deliberate act to throw rubbish rather than put it in a bin or at least leave it where it could be easily picked up and collected.

I just could not believe people bother to come to a beautiful spot and just so they can deliberately rubbish it.
AnswerID: 422878

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:08
It's a deliberate method of advertising by the fast food outlets.
FollowupID: 693746

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:20

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 16:20
Lets face it An earlier govt brought in a Bill of Rights so that now everyone's attitude is

"Only I matter and I can do as I like".

I would hate to see the houses that some live in if thats how they treat the rest of the country.
I worked for several years in a National Park and we used to give anyone who littered heaps.
But back then people were generally more considerate but some still did it.

Until some pride is instilled in people it will never change.

Have a look down by the airport in Halls Creek for instance.

Lovely place.!!!!!!!!!

AnswerID: 422898

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 18:41

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 18:41
Australia does not have a Bill of Rights. I agree that the littering is appalling, but it has always been a problem in Australia. And as our numbers increase and more and more have the abilty to go outback and as the years go by and more and more of the stuff builds up...., it just looks worse.
And then we get into the discussion re how much policing/rangering/national parking of the outback do we want and what taxes or entry fees are we prepared to pay to support this....
FollowupID: 693328

Follow Up By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:11
Which government brought in the Bill of Rights?
FollowupID: 693747

Reply By: Road Warrior - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 17:28

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 17:28
I must say though, Australia is one of the cleanest countries in the world that I have been to. In terms of litter.
AnswerID: 422901

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 18:50

Saturday, Jul 03, 2010 at 18:50
Brian,

When ever we pull up for a break while on the road the 2 kids run around and collect all the aluminium cans hehehe
They get bugger all for them but it is a great way to teach them to help clean up after people who don't know any better.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422909

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 09:53

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 09:53
Hey Kev! What a great idea!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 693737

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:21

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:21
In the last 7 months they have nearly filled a 240l Wheelie bin of crushed aluminium cans, which is a combination of ones from home, collected on our travels and ones from building sites in our street.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 693740

Reply By: OREJAP - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:10

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 10:10
As Derryn Hinch use to say. "We treat our country like it belongs to someone else" Maybe he's correct maybe not. What is correct,manners,respect & pride are taught at our schools (this is where it all should start "teach our children well")however it's what examples children are given elsewhere which harms this country & our way of life. As I have said in previous posts, with the modern technology available to ALL of us, mainly mobile phones, photograph the people you see committing illegal acts & report them. A nice fine of $500 (in some shires) may change their slack & disgusting attitudes. I know someone on this forum will take me to task & say "You have to catch them in the act" "I am not a dobber" & "It's not my business & why should I do the job authorities get paid to do?" Yep, you're in a democratic country so the decision is yours. That disgusting Moron who was on a current affairs program recently for dumping asbestos & other chemiclas in the bush!! He had a previous fine handed to him by the court...$180,000...yet he is at it again. The court should have disqualified him from driving & cancelled his registration on the vehicle used in the commission of the offences. So when he gets stopped by the EPA or Cops he is driving whilst disqualified & locked up....simple
AnswerID: 422959

Reply By: Jude&theboys - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 14:20

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 14:20
I walked my young boys home from school a while back, its a fair hike but the car was out of action. We are very lucky in that the 2nd half of our walk (close to home) we have the option to walk along the river. As we walked, all a bit worn out (I'd already done the walk to school and back in the morning and again to school in the afternoon - I am NOT fit) and I kept calling my oldest (Mr 8) to hurry up because he was always behind. Unusual for him as he usually runs ahead, so I stopped and waited for him to catch up to discover that he had been stopping to pick up rubbish along the way. He carried it all the way home as there was no bin. He had been learning about endangered animals at school and had learnt about the harm that litter can do to them.

Yes there are many who do the wrong thing, but some kids are learning well so I believe that we can have hope for the future.

Jude
AnswerID: 422982

Sponsored Links