Rubbish in the Dunes

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 22:50
ThreadID: 79861 Views:2821 Replies:12 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We went 4x4 driving in the Dunes north of Two Rocks WA today with friends the amount of beer cans, broken bottles an other rubbish in around the dunes is Bl**dy disgusting. In all my travels around Australia over the years I have not seen so much rubbish discarded in one place without thought, any wonder we are getting access to these areas closed to 4x4ing and camping. We need to remember to take out what we take in. It is not that hard surely.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 23:12

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 23:12
Well TC ...................."It is not that hard surely."
apparently it is and it isn't getting any better ..............
it doesn't appear to be policed .............
it's not just 4WDers either ....................
and you are preaching to the converted anyway.

I will agree that it does spoil the day in the bush, looking at other people's rubbish and the like. Thanks for the reminder that we need to take it home with us.
Powerline Track is getting bad again, Julimar area has motor bike riders dropping rubbish and along the southern beaches is no better ................ end of rant & off the SB.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 423044

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 23:35

Sunday, Jul 04, 2010 at 23:35
I agree I am preaching to the converted. I hope that readers of this forum and others like it are not the one's leaving this sort of rubbish behind when they leave these beautiful places.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 693455

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 00:15

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 00:15
No problems with that, and we do ..... and as others on this site do too .........
we tend to take home more than just our rubbish.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 693456

Follow Up By: greybeard - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:27

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:27
perth4x4.net did a rubbish run along the powerline track from cole rd to flynn rd on saturday.
one stretch of ~500m had three ute loads and half a trailer load of junk.
the other was the remains of someone's dubious camp effort, they bagged up the leftover rubbish ( bottles, food containers etc ) then chucked the bag into the bush.
probably the best one was the ranger on his way out to see us, sprung someone parked on the main road dumping their load of garden waste...

there's no brain cell quota required to dump rubbish
FollowupID: 693470

Follow Up By: Wilko - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 12:16

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 12:16
Agreed Greybeard,

If they catch someone dumping rubbish, throw the book at them I mean realy throw the book at them,

Jail time loss of 4wd and equipment etc but also make it free to dump at the local tip. This user pays system is rubbish. I'm glad I dont live in a place that uses it.

End of rant.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 693479

Reply By: racinrob - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 08:47

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 08:47
I'm a bush camper who spends about 3 months of every year on the road and find regardless of how remote an area I camp in it is often littered with beer cans, broken bottles and toilet paper. Sometimes the previous thoughtful campers have even left the camp fire burning even if it is full of molten stubbies. A quick walk around the site finds human waste left uncovered to add to the scents of the bush. That is exactly what we found a few months ago in the northern Flinders Ranges
What is it with these idiots ?

Rob.
AnswerID: 423055

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:12

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:12
Its the " all about me syndrome".

"I will go where I like, I will do what I like and stuff everyone else".

Unfortunately its spreads faster than Swine flu but sadly isnt fatal.

AnswerID: 423058

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:16

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 09:16
When I was a young lad of about 13 I opened the car window and threw a bottle out. Dad slammed the brakes on throwing us alll around the car (no seat belts then), turned around and gave me a good (not hard) slap on the side of the face, told me to get out. He got out with me and handed me a heshian bag from the boot and told me to go and find a dozen empty bottles and to pick them up.

I never, ever threw anything out of the car again nor littered. Boy did I learn quickly.

Try that these days and dad would be in jail and Mum on community service as an accessory.

THAT'S WHY IT'S HAPPENING. We can only blame ourselves for letting the Government take our disciplinary responsibilities away from us. Now How on earth do we get them back. Any ideas!!!!

So I pick it up and drop it at the Rangers station etc.

Phil
AnswerID: 423060

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:28

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:28
You got Phil, I also learnt the easy way of doing it was to do it right the first time or suffer the consequences if I chose the wrong option.
What behaviour can we expect from kids if Dad or Mum sets the example of trashing everything in site?
Unfortunately it only takes the stupidity of a few mental midgets to turn pristine areas of Oz into rubbish tips.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 693477

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:11

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:11
The beach along Byfield has a horror spot too due to the boats and currents dropping it off on the beach.. My front yard is a magnet from the High School across the road. Its everywhere.
AnswerID: 423062

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:29

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:29
Gennerally, I find that SA is better than most places re roadside rubbish. It probably is because of the containers rebate program in this state. I heard on the news this morning that the Greens are pushing for the SA system to become national.
Might help. The real yobs still drop the stuff, but plenty of groups and individuals find it worthwhile to do the collection, even in quite remore places.
AnswerID: 423063

Reply By: Member - Brad S (SA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:21

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:21
SA also has some pretty stiff fines for littering as well.
AnswerID: 423065

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:43

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:43
Hey Crow,
It's one of my pet hates as well. The places you find rubbish, it would seem some go out of their way not to take it with them, especially around water ways and creeks.
Last time we went to Cangi, just up the track from us, I collected a Horse feed bag( which I carry for just these times) full of bottles
, that I had collected within a 100 meters of our campsite, we just had to clean it up so we could enjoy the spot.
I've got no idea what the answer is, I really don't.

AnswerID: 423068

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 13:15

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 13:15
Don't blame the kids, blame the parents.
We made it a habit wherever we go to take a plastic bag and pick up
what we find until the bag is full and discard it properly. If everyone
would do that we would be better off. Why complain about others
and doing nothing yourself ?
Same applies to dog droppings on lawns in caravan parks etc. There is
always the one who doesn't care. It is not about how many idiots drop their
stuff it is about how many complainers actually do something.

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 423074

Reply By: roberttbruce - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:12

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:12
i stopped cleaning up other people's mess when i found discarded needles scattered around one site...

funny thing was, at that same site, someone came along later in that day, cleaned up the rubbish i didnt, but then left the pages from a book about serial-killers scattered about...

i believe it is often locals who leave there rubbish in an attempt to have the area closed down...

One area i camp at near the gold-coast gets trashed by the local 4x4 flexers pretty bad...prolly to get it closed to force everyone to the 4x4 park...

there is no such thing as idle-littering, there's always an agenda in there somewhere...
AnswerID: 423079

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 14:38
Lived in Two Rocks 2003-2006, was always a problem back then.
We would go fishing and surfing and come back with a garbage bag full of rubbish every time.
It will only get worse with all the development up there!
Just plain bloody laziness !

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 423084

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:28

Monday, Jul 05, 2010 at 16:28
I don't think places get closed to 4 x 4s because of these idiots though.

We used to 4x4 from Marmion to two rocks and beyond in the 80's. They closed the dunes supposedly because we damaged them Pfffffffffff & again Pffffffffff

So what did they do? THEY destroyed all the environment & DUNES to build houses and they still are miles and miles of our old 4 x4 tracks are now houses.

4 X 4 Usage is not the big destroyer of the environment (I take out of that statement the few that are destroyers of the environment)

Cheers tony
AnswerID: 423103

Sponsored Links