Imposters Part Two - Members

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:45
ThreadID: 7987 Views:1842 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have just setup the Members System to only allow for the setup of a unique ScreenName. Members as mentioned are able to change the screen name at any time it is just that it must be unique across the system when you change it.

Special Note: If you have a clashed name already you will not be able to update your profile until the clash is rectified. If it does occur and it really upsets you then please let me know (via feedback page) and I will attempt to sort out the clash for you.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:19

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:19
good job david.
so as a member i can change my name but if some one else picks diamond i cant change it back is that right.
might be time to settle down and find out if im arthur or martha.lol
ps hope you have a sense of humour. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 34633

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:31

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:31
Take out 10 memberships and you can have 10 protected names Jim.

My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 24982

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:34

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:34
not a bad idea mate could you please just post your credit card number and ill do it.dont forgrt to say that no one else can use it lolback by popular demand
:-)
FollowupID: 24983

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:41

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:41
Yes that is right - If you change from diamond(bendigo) to say Member-Ihavenoidea and then some person comes along and grabs diamond(bendigo) then you have lost it, unless of course that person then either changes to something else or expires.

The test is against the full screen name however case is ignored. So Diamond(Bendigo) is the same as diamond(bendigo) and DIAMOND(BeNdIgO) etc etc etc. Gees this many Diamond(bendigo) and I am starting to have a personality crisis.

BUT, and there is always a BUT (this is computer nerd stuff after all) someone could be Diamond without the bendigo or Bendigo without the Diamond or even diamond(dodo) or diamond(not bendigo).

Help LOL I am testing my sense of humor!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 24985

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:29

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:29
Good to have you back diamond(bendigo) : )Just Do It!

FollowupID: 25021

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:21

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:21
Glenn,
Plenty Hwy?Bob
FollowupID: 25036

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:52

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:52
Yes Bob, September2003.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 25048

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:22

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:22
Hi David...Not that anyone would want the name voxson..... but if i am logged on as voxson (adelaide) like i am,,,,,,,, can someone grab just plain old voxson?..._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:50

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:50
Well yes because of the rules that I must put in place if someone could not be voxson then on the other sode of the coin someone who is David (say) could not be David 1 or David 2 or David From Perth or anything to do with David (as and example). It is very hard to check for the first name only and stop people from using that name as David Martin would not be allowed in the same way.

Do you get my point? Best I can do I am afraid.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 24992

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:41

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:41
David, can a time lapse thing be added to your system so that if a member does change their screen name, some clown albeit a member could go and change their name to say Diamond (Bendigo) shortly afterwards and add misleading info etc.ne cede malis
AnswerID: 34649

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:48

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:48
Oh that is a little harder to implement as I would then need to keep track of past screen names. I hope I do not have to go this far - it would be a lot of work to have to track past screen names. I would hope that this level of checking would not be required!

However as with everything ExplorOz it is possible just comes at a cost to someone (usually me). If the other members want this level of checking then I would of course think about it. Let see how this phase of changes go!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25007

Follow Up By: Paul Backhouse - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:11

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:11
David,

Don't you already have this time lapse thingo already operating. If I can't become "Wombat" because that was the name I used prior to membership (6 months ago) then it is currently serving the same purpose. Maybe you just need to set up something which clears the cache of unused names every few days, or so.

Just a thought."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 25140

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:55

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:55
No the problem you mentioned to me is a bug on my behalf - I need to remove your visitor profile screenname and password when you become a member - it is a little different to your thing.

Actually - I have just now adjusted the program and it will now not care about your visitor profile if you are a member so you can transfer the same visitor profile screen name to your membership without error provided you have the same email address between your old visitor record and your membership record.

The other problem with your name is that 4 other have it registered. Hey what was so bad about Wombat (state name). I forgot the state anyway that should have been OK.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 25143

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 00:03

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 00:03
cool.
pity about multiple personality disorder?
still Arfue or Marfa( marfa looks good in a mini?????lmao)
now where was i1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 34667

Reply By: David N. - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:27

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:27
Just like e-mail addresses.
It only takes one character, underscore or whatever and it is then a different one. Pretty straight forward I would think.
Thanks again David- you're both doing a great job.
AnswerID: 34683

Reply By: Member - Kim (mr) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:21

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:21
Well reading all that was a bit to much, but i dont think i'll have to many probs. with kim (mr) unless there is a whole bunch of blokes out there with kim for a name.More drive'n less talk'n
AnswerID: 34782

Sponsored Links