Even more Battery Q's

Having followed alot of the battery and solar questions, I know so much more than I did a year ago, but I think even more confused.
I have since given the solar a miss for now, as I bought a little yamaha geny for extended stays, that way rain hail or shine, I know I have a few sparks left! Providing I remember to take the fuel can.
I've got a 40l Engel to power, other than compressors and shower which will be used while the car runs, thats about it. Battery will be mounted under the bonnet, up front next to the air filter. I was thinking of spending around the $300 mark, but am flexible to a point to make sure we get what we need.

So all this in mind, what battery type would suit best and why, and what size would be ideal?

Thanks again

Troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 20:03
Troy
get a battery that will charge fast (agm)
get a battery that will fully charge (agm)
get the largest "ah" capacity you can fit in the area available

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 423276

Follow Up By: Spana - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 20:07
Ha ha :) Thanks for that Mainey
and I thought it was all too complicated :)
I've read that the agm is sensative to heat? is this a prob for me?
also is there brands to steer to or away?
And do I need a 12v - 12v charger aswell?

Cheers
Troy
FollowupID: 693698

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 20:14
Troy,
some wetcell batteries die because of the heat, as do agm, so you put the battery where "direct heat" can be avoided, or you shield the battery from direct heat, look at where the 'original' Cranking battery is situated and emulate this position if possible.

The Alternator will put out in excess of 14v and more than enough amps to charge any battery if the cable and connections are adequate, negating the need for further assistance.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 693699

Follow Up By: Member - Alex K (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 21:51

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 21:51
Agreed - as large a battery you can physical fit. I'd recommend AGM too. Heat never been a problem and charges to (almost) full capacity from Alternator. Brands - most are Chinese and they're probably all made in the same factory against same spec with different stickers.
FollowupID: 693712

Follow Up By: Ray - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 08:48

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 08:48
You don't say if to have a c'van, camper or a campervan? I wanted to fit a second battery under my bonnet but did not have enough room, so I mounted the battery on the drawbar of my caravan. It was the best move I made as I can unhitch the c'van and still have 12v power to the van. It only needs a bit more cabling. All the other suggestions made on this forum are valid.
FollowupID: 693730

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 17:46
I agree with all above, when you fit your aux batt up front,get some double sided silver insulation ,as in the stuff you put over your window to keep the sun out and wrap it round the batt.,before installation.ABR sell insul packs for this application,that will stop most of the motor heat. I have done it on my 80s,it works well.
Ray,I have the same as you on the draw bar,I have also direct wired my van frig off the battery with heavy cable and fuse,it was an easy job,no voltage drop now, The batt., is fed thru an anderson plug connection.I also undid the 12v wire at the 7 pin plug to stop backfeed from the batt.,. Regards Keith C
FollowupID: 693782

Follow Up By: Member - troy s (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:14
Thanks again fellas! looks like I'll be battery shopping this weekend I reckon.
Ray, I already have 100ah battery in the van, being new though, I'm still not exactly experienced with it's consumption and all. There's enough room under the 80 for a second, and have the cradle sitting in the shed waiting to go in.

So does anyone know the fair price of agm's then? being new to the battery saga, I don't want to get stooged into a "bargain"

Cheers again

troy
FollowupID: 693793

Sponsored Links