tripple battery set up wiring diagram

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 21:14
ThreadID: 79905 Views:7905 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a land cruiser ute with 2 80watt solar panels on the roof of the canopy which charge a large battery under the tray (These are on there own independant circuit and are not in anyway connected to the electrics of the vehicle). I want to install a third battery also in the tray. My intention is to have all batteries charge from the alternator whilst driving and the solar panels charge the second 2nd and 3rd batteries when the vehicle is parked up. Can this be done and if so would anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stu-e - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 22:07
hi there
just do it as a normal dual battery setup (except paralell the 2 aux batterys assuming they are the same type), through a voltage sensitive solenoid, and have your solar connected to the aux batterys
Stu
AnswerID: 423290

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:12

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:12
Thanks for that Stu, sounds simple so i will give it a go. For interest sake, what happens if the battery are different sizes. Cheers
FollowupID: 693791

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 22:31

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 22:31
Hello there,

isolation switch between cranker and the other batteries.
2nd and 3rd to be wired in parallel.
Solar panels connected to the solar regulator in the usual fashion, same with the batteries and load connections on the regulator.

Just keep in mind that some portable fridges have an internal connection between negative and case (metal frame).
If the fridge case comes in contact with the car chassis, the low voltage cutout inside most solar regulators won't work because it's being bypassed.
Three options there:
get a common negative solar regulator, or
use a fridge which has no internal connection between negativ and case, or
mount the fridge in such a way that it cannot come in contact with chassis ground of vehicle (this is the least recommended option because things can get a bit unpredictable in terms of hidden return current paths, including unexpected sparking if the solar regulator has decided to shed the loads due to low battery voltage and there are metal objects in (un)favourable positions)

Best regards, Peter
AnswerID: 423293

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:13
Peter I appreciate your input and this seems to be the most populat way of doing it som I will give it ago. What will happen if the batteries are different sizes. Cheers
FollowupID: 693792

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:28

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:28
no worries, any time.

The batteries can be of different Ah ratings, but should be of the same type and age.

BTW, looking at the three options I gave previously: there is a fourth option which is probably the simplest way to go about this:
Don't bother about the type of solar regulator, nor the fridge having a connection between negative and case.
As long as the fridge has a reliable low voltage cut out function integrated into its electronics, just wire it in parallel to the 2nd and 3rd batteries.

Best regards, Peter
FollowupID: 693796

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:21

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:21
You ask:-> I want to install a *3rd* battery in the tray

the intention is to have ALL batteries charge from the alternator whilst driving and the solar panels charge the second 2nd and 3rd batteries when the vehicle is parked up.

Easy to do, just parallel wire the 3rd battery to the 2nd battery.

Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 423315

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 19:10
Thanks mainey, this seems to be common way of doing it so I will give it a go.
FollowupID: 693790

Sponsored Links