Which way/best time of year etc etc

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 15:53
ThreadID: 79939 Views:2690 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I am retiring next April and after a short overseas trip will be ready to hook up the van and head off around June next year.

I will have unlimited time, but unfortunately not unlimited cash, so have decided to allow 12 months to do a round Australia trip, departing from the Nth Coast of NSW.

Here is what we want to achieve
We want to find some warm weather for the rest of the winter
We want to concentrate a fair amount of the time on looking around WA
We dont want to be in the top 1/2 of Australia during the wet season, but we do want to do the WA coast, the Kimberlys and Darwin
We also want to take in thee don't want to do Qld at all (no offence to the Qlders but did that a few years ago)
We dont want to have to do any backtracking if possible, except where absolutely necessary.
The plan I have hatched can be done in reverse but basically at this stage I have planned to go from Port Macquarie to Broken Hill, Port Augusta, Alice Springs, Darwin, Broome, Exmouth, Perth, SW corner of WA taking in all the sights there, Kalgoorlie, Nullabour, Port Lincoln, Port Augusta, Adelaide (and all the sights of the Baroosa, McLaren Vale, Victor Harbour etc) Renmark, along the Murray to Albury then basically home.

So, from Port Augusta, am I best to head to the west then work my way up to the top in the following autumn for a warm winter the following year or do I turn right and head to the centre then Darwin for the winter, then work my way towards the west and see Broome etc before it gets to hot and humid.

Do the seasons allow enough time to do this given the distances involved in WA.

I am sure there are some of you out there that can offer advice or other suggestions.

Thanks,

Cruiser
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser .- Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 15:57

Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 15:57
Oh for an edit option on here.

OK, typo error needs correcting

"We also want to take in thee don't want to do Qld at all (no offence to the Qlders but did that a few years ago) " SHOULD READ as below

We also don't want to do Qld at all (no offence to the Qlders but did that a few years ago)

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 423409

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 16:06

Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 16:06
Hi there. Yes, its a worry! If you turn right, you will be be joining the convoy to the north, and compete with everyone else for the available sites, etc. (we went just a bit earlier, and avoided the worst). But if you keep going West, then you'll hit southern WA as the chill winds blow in to the Albany shores!!
I think I'd avoid joining the peak tourist crush in the Top End, to be honest, even though Albany in July can be a bit challenging! But if you are willing to compete for sites (Arrive at CPs at breakfast time etc), and if you don't intend to take a dog with you, then you may survive!!
AnswerID: 423410

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 16:13

Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 16:13
Yeah its a hard one. You're going to have to trade one off against the other unfortunately! The tourist crush up north during the high season BUT you will have really nice weather or stay in SW WA during that period where there will be nowhere near as many tourists but it will be bitterly cold

We've just suffered through 15 straight days of near-freezing temps in Perth and I can tell you now I think I'd rather the swarms of tourists and warm climes!
FollowupID: 693838

Reply By: Member - Ken H1 (WA) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 16:28

Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 16:28
Cruiser, I reckon that if you start in June you could take the route you decribe and drag the chain until you get to Broome in September. Then, down the west coast taking in the spectacular spring wild flower displays arriving in Perth, say, late November and spend most of summer taking in the southwest, (Book in advance in coastal CPs over X-mas school holidays.) That done, scoot across the Nullarbor to do the South Australian bit - don't forget Clare - in the autumn and be home in Pt Macquarie early winter.
Bear in mind that when you retire you will soon start to wonder how you ever found the time to go to work!

Ken (A West Australian)
AnswerID: 423413

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:33

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:33
We have just finished a similar trip.

We left Pt Augusta in last week of April, Alice Mid MayDarwin End of May then

Kakadu and back to Katherine and dawdled down the west Coast till mid November

Wild flower season in Sept around Geraldton, Mullewa, Morewa region is beautiful.

Wind in Geraldton is not.

Went right down the coast to Augusta and around the peninsulars and got back to Adelaide mid December.

Stayed in hiding at Mt Compass for the school hols and came back to Brisbane early Feb.

Going to do Victoria and work our way back north from Feb next year.

That way you get to miss the wet and see the best of the west.

Also you are travelling with the traffic not against it.

AnswerID: 423463

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:38

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:38
We had no trouble getting forward bookings like 3 weeks ahead. We just worked out how long we expected to be and did it and got there on time.

Broome was the only snag and Eighty mile beach is always full with regulars crammed in for months on end.

Its not the big worry some make out and you can be as sociable or not as you like in parks.
We met some lovely people and a few not so nice.

Just do it you will have a great time.

FollowupID: 693916

Sponsored Links