Remote communications

Submitted: Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 07:00
ThreadID: 79952 Views:3302 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Last night on the idiot box was a report on a new player in the remote comms buisness, Indigo communications, they are promising 100percent coverage of Australia at affordable rates, what ever that means.

I don't know when they start operation but it will be interesting to watch.

I have no affiliation with this company, although I do take kickbacks.

Here is the LINK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 11:40

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 11:40
Thanks for the pointer Rockape as I certainly missed this one, I will follow this one up as this sound just too good to be true. Maybe at last we have someone out there who is fair dinkum.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 423457

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 13:56

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 13:56
Paul,
I think it will all come down to pricing of the calls and any access fees. They appear to be a small company so that may help keep the costs down.

Have a good one.
FollowupID: 693922

Reply By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 17:23

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 17:23
Rockape,
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on this.... looks good.
An extract from the site:
"With the choice of no contract and standard call charges of $1/minute for Indigo-to-Indigo calls, and $1.30/minute for Indigo-to-landline/GSM calls, Indigo?s call charges offer our customers pricing that is competitive when viewed against call plans of your traditional GSM mobile network operators.
Regards,
Myles.
AnswerID: 423484

Reply By: Member - John R (cQld) - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 17:35

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 17:35
Looks like they will just use the Thuraya satellite system, which is already available thru Optus. Perhaps they really want to concentrate on the data side of the telecommunications business, rather than the phone call side. The low angle (about 20 deg) to the satellite in SE Aust. makes it a less attractive deal for phone calls there.

The 3 geostationary Thuraya satellites might cover 2/3 of the planet's land mass, but certainly not 2/3 of the planet's "land and ocean" mass.

Cheers, John
AnswerID: 423486

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 18:40

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 18:40
John,
can you tell us more, you say they use the same satellites as optus and they seem to be targeting the data market. I am not a comms person, so could tell me how data and phones are different.

I would appreciate it.

FollowupID: 693944

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 20:22

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 20:22
Sure Rockape, data can be any communication between one computer and another, the most obvious being broadband internet services, but it could also be video conferencing between a remote mining company and its headquarters, etc. Strictly speaking a phone also sends voice as "data" since any phone now is digital based, but satellite phones themselves don't usually have high enough data speeds for decent internet access, etc. Most of the communications using satellite is data transfer of one type or another, rather than phone calls.
There was a brief segment here on Stateline tonight about Inigo, actually. It didn't really add anything more than was in your link above, but there was the suggestion that if they were popular then it could lead to Telstra and Optus also lowering their satellite access prices. Lot of ifs in that though!
(Optus is just the Aust. agent for Thuraya as far as their satellite phones go).

Cheers, John

FollowupID: 693959

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 20:34

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 20:34
Thanks John
FollowupID: 693962

Sponsored Links