Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 04:07
ThreadID: 79984 Views:4005 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found
The song made famous by the late Slim Dusty, was first written in the original Day Dawn Hotel in Ingham in north Queensland in 1943, by an Irish cane cutter Dan Sheahan, after some American soldiers drank the pub dry the previous night.
Dan Sheahan had gone to his favourite pub for a cold beer but was told by the Publican Gladys Harvey, that there was no beer left, due to a drinking binge by some coloured American soldiers the previous night. Dan Sheahan consoled himself in the corner of the pub with a glass of wine and wrote the song "A Pub without Beer" which was published in the NQ Register in January 1944. The song was later transformed to "A Pub with No Beer" by composer Gordon Parsons, who had spotted the words of "A Pub without Beer" in "The North Queensland Register" newspaper.
Slim Dusty, would visit Dan Sheahan when he visited Ingham. Dan died in 1977, aged 95 years. Rupert Lee purchased the Day Dawn hotel in 1958 from Cummins and Campbell. Rupert engaged architect Ian Ferrier to design a new hotel for the site. The Day Dawn Hotel was then demolished and rebuilt as Lee's Hotel in 1960. It did not burn down as some people have suggested.
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

The Mayor of Ingham in 2006, Pino Giandomenico, accused New South Wales of stealing Ingham's glory by claiming that Slim Dusty's immortal song "A Pub with No Beer" was based on the Taylors Arm Hotel in northern New South Wales.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: john&thejayco - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 09:02

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 09:02
G'day Doug,
Another great Sunday history lesson, but your timing couldn't have been worse.LOL , I was at Taylor's Arms only 3 days ago, now you've really burst my bubble. I guess I will now have to try and get to the one in Ingham and taste test their beer. Bye the way anyone thinking of checking out the pub with no beer at Taylor's Arms , the hospitality from locals around the bar,and the memorabilia there was great, the pot belly stove in the bar area was very inviting on the cold day we were there and the beer was great.
Cheers.
John.
AnswerID: 423619

Reply By: Lucko - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:50

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:50
Doug, while only a visitor to this forum, I congratulate you on your Sunday articles, they're great!
Don't know where you get your inspiration from, but keep it up! (metaphoricall speaking of course ;-) )
Best Wishes
Mark
AnswerID: 423631

Follow Up By: Troppo Tom (Virginia, N.T.) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:07

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 21:07
More info here
FollowupID: 694405

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:10

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:10
Doug T,

Mate you have picked my favorite Slim Dusty song.

Many a night after a number, quite a number of amber concoctions ended with a group sing-a-long of this memorable song. It is one of only a few songs that I know all the words too.

Seeing your story brings back many pleasant memories of mates, a few beers and lots of fun.

The pub with no beer

I think that I will crack a VB and listen to Slim Dusty for a while.

Patrick

AnswerID: 423632

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:57

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:57
Hi Doug, thanks for yet another great story, as you have probably picked up by now I'm a Slim Dusty fan as well, but didn't know thatGordon Parsons actually wrote the song based on a poem. You learn something new every day.
Thanks again and keep the Sunday History Stories coming, I look out for them every Sunday.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 423638

Reply By: Marion - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 15:42

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 15:42
Hi Doug, I to have learnt something so many thanks, Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 423659

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 13:04

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 13:04
A very interesting article. Well done. But at the end of the day it has to be remembered that you never buy beer, you only rent it! LOL. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 423887

Sponsored Links